Sports bike specific textiles

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have an RST Pro Series CPX-C textile jacket & RST Blade2 textile trousers, lovely and warm when its to cold for the leathers

Thanks!

For the southerners here. Trust your Scots colleagues reviews of wet weather gear!!!

They will have had plenty opportunities to test them out!!

There are at leat 50 different types of rain in Scotland, 47 of which are wetter than in the rest of the Uk :)

I?m sure everyone has seen these in various places but they always make me smile
88f99bdcf43f3844db4713765e32ae79.jpg

Daytona are certainly amenable to wide feet.

I have rather wide feet and am very happy with my Daytona Evo Voltex Gore-Tex boots, I find them to be an excellent all-round sport boot that is all-day comfortable on the bike (wouldn?t want to walk too far in them though).
Alternatively, if you were interested in something a little less sporty, you could consider the Daytona Strive Gore-Tex boot. This could be a good combination for you if you already have a non Gore-Tex sport boot?

Bought the Daytona GTX Roadstar's at the MCN Show today. ?320. I didn't like the Strive version (same price). The massive flap of velcro doens't fit flush when wearing and ended at a weird hard point which dug into my foot exactly where I didn't want it to. The GTX Roadstars are zipped and far more comfy, got them in 44 even though I could fit in the 43 to allow for hot days and thicker socks :)

As an aside, I also tried on some Dainese D-Dry CarveMaster 2 textiles and couldn't crouch in them, Dainese are always so damn short in the thigh, I don't get it.

Bought the Daytona GTX Roadstar's at the MCN Show today. ?320. I didn't like the Strive version (same price). The massive flap of velcro doens't fit flush when wearing and ended at a weird hard point which dug into my foot exactly where I didn't want it to. The GTX Roadstars are zipped and far more comfy, got them in 44 even though I could fit in the 43 to allow for hot days and thicker socks [emoji4]

As an aside, I also tried on some Dainese D-Dry CarveMaster 2 textiles and couldn't crouch in them, Dainese are always so damn short in the thigh, I don't get it.

Congratulations on the new boots Alex, the Roadster GTX boots are superb and are certainly the comfiest bike boots I?ve ever worn. They were actually the first pair of road bike boots I got!
Interesting to hear your feedback on the Strive boots, on paper I?d have expected them to be a very popular option for Sport-Touring applications.
I know I bang on about this, but make sure you get some orthotic innersoles for them, your arches will thank you for it [emoji6]

Sorry to hear you were less successful with the textiles, Dainese are definitely a ?slender? fit to say the least lol.
What textiles do you plan on trying next?

Last edited:
Yeah that's another aspect of getting a size bigger - innersoles can be more padded for better all round comfort.

I will be popping to GetGeared, in Leatherhead, to try on some HELD, and if that is a fail I will head on to the Infinity Warehouse as the Spidi H2Out jacket was very nice, but they didn't have the trousers to try with it.

And yeah, the Strive's look cooler and have the toe slider...but then I have A-Stars Race Boots for that.

Last edited:
I've found the RST adventure range to be excellent value for money, adaptable and practical for all weather conditions and perfectly comfortable for use on a Sports bike

I second this - I have the adventure 2 suit bought from sportsbikeshop at the end of last year. It was on offer at the time. Not sure of the exact cost but low 300's come to mind for the jacket & trousers. Good kit so far. Warm and (so far) waterproof. Adventure 3 is better (pockets and a re-designed neck) but is full price.

(just realised that I'm a bit late to this party...)

Last edited:
...I will be popping to GetGeared, in Leatherhead, to try on some HELD....
-
Alex. I did exactly that late last year, got a great pair of Held Textile trousers from Get Geared.
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/held_touring_trousers_sarai_regular_mens_6461_wp_black
They're sold as touring, but they're really comfy on the S1 (and that was with the OEM rearsets too). For a 'cheap' pair of textiles (they're not Goretex) they have nice touches like a rubberished mesh on the hems which grip your boot and have loads of adjustment. They came with thermal liners which I've never used, I just have normal jeans underneath.
Good service at GG. Hilariously, I got told off by a young assistant for wearing a Schuberth Pro 3 flip-up lid... "it's just not right on an S1". Bless him, I think he was trying to make a helmet sale, barely older then my youngest lad. I helped him remove his feet from his mouth and chuckled all the way home. H

Thanks Hugh, I was looking at the 'Dover' version as they are waterproof but not Goretex. I'll check out your option too.

Good luck. As you obviously know, Infinity Clearance at Camberley can sometimes throw up a real bargain.

I'm intending to hit a few shops - infinity recommended going to the Southampton branch over the Camberley...

I've found Camberley to be hit or miss, as a clearance warehouse it's all about what sizes they've got left.
One of the guys is a track-head and I've twice managed extra discounts after some friendly knee down banter. Nice bloke, can't remember his name, soz.
Southampton is a good excuse to stretch those winter legs and visit Loomies...

I've found Camberley to be hit or miss, as a clearance warehouse it's all about what sizes they've got left.
One of the guys is a track-head and I've twice managed extra discounts after some friendly knee down banter. Nice bloke, can't remember his name, soz.
Southampton is a good excuse to stretch those winter legs and visit Loomies...

Ha! I'll be driving, bike is in bits!

I was in the Camberley Infinity store a couple of weeks ago & was a bit disappointed, very little in my size & nothing I liked - was looking for leathers not textiles tho'. Went there because described as biggest branch, but as others said it's for clearance lines so common/0popular sizes may be gone.

At the end of the MCN show I came away with the boots on order they've been received now and all is good.

The textile hunt continued and at the end of the day I came across the Spidi X-Tour Jacket on the Infinity Stand. They didn't have trousers for a proper test but confirmed the show price and the warehouse price would be the same next week.. I liked the jacket and intended to try it again with the trousers last Sunday when I went to Infinity, Camberley after GetGeared, Leatherhead.

GetGeared were great help, I tried on about 12 combinations of textiles, changing sizes and brands trying to find a good fit. They told me that laminate was the thing to look out for with a waterproof jacket, a laminate doesn't really get well like cheaper waterproofing. Dry time for laminate is about an hour and other textiles could be 8hrs in a room at normal temps. For a multi day tour which could be very wet I could see the benefit of spending the extra. But at ?500+ for the cheapest from HELD, I felt it best to think about it all and move on. Best fitting jacket of those I tried on was the HELD IMOLA 2, but I couldn't find the right HELD trousers in the shop to match. The Imola 2 had so much freedom of movement without being loose. The Rev It Horizon 2 was a surprise, the fit was much better than everything except the Imola because the adjustability was brilliant. Wasn't sold on the looks in black but overall it was a good setup. It would have been my choice if they'd had one in the right colours there and then.

Whilst they lacked in examples of the colours I'd want, I did get from GetGeared is my textile sizings sorted. Trousers, I need a Large with short leg as it allows for more errr volume in the hip area. And the jacket can be M-XL depending on the cut and how many layers/armour pieces I was to wear with it. L is fine for 99% of the time.

So I popped to Infinity Camberley, the warehouse and yep it's not impressive, bit of a mess in terms of stock display. Felt a bit like Primark when stuff is dumped all over the show. However there was the X-Tour and the cheaper Voyager 3...still no feckin' trousers. Turns out Spidi didn't supply Infinity many, which is odd. Asked at the counter what the difference was in the Voyager 3 and X-Tour as both are waterproof (H2OUT) and in fact I preferred the cheaper jacket's styling, 'is one of them Laminate?' I ask in far fetched hope... No they said. Damn...well why is one cheaper than the other? Sales Assistant goes to the internet...'oh...IT IS a Laminate', followed apologetically with 'they never told us!'. So the X-Tour was Lamintate and ?200 less that the Held Laminate and far better styled. Fit was good, but not as good as the Voyager 3. At this point I wandered around some more, no RST Adventure in either shop, Rukka all too much.

I knew at this point I was down to mail order whatever I wanted as Infinity didn't have the Spidi Trousers and GG didn't have the right Rev IT or Held in shop.

So at 1am that night I had my f**kit moment and ordered the Spidi set. Jacket ended up even cheaper at ?295, Thunder 'Pants' ;) :D ?206
Spidi X-Tour H2OUT Jacket
Spidi Thunder H2OUT Trousers

Once they arrive I will test the fit and decide if I'm keeping them or not...

At the end of the MCN show I came away with the boots on order they've been received now and all is good.

The textile hunt continued and at the end of the day I came across the Spidi X-Tour Jacket on the Infinity Stand. They didn't have trousers for a proper test but confirmed the show price and the warehouse price would be the same next week.. I liked the jacket and intended to try it again with the trousers last Sunday when I went to Infinity, Camberley after GetGeared, Leatherhead.

GetGeared were great help, I tried on about 12 combinations of textiles, changing sizes and brands trying to find a good fit. They told me that laminate was the thing to look out for with a waterproof jacket, a laminate doesn't really get well like cheaper waterproofing. Dry time for laminate is about an hour and other textiles could be 8hrs in a room at normal temps. For a multi day tour which could be very wet I could see the benefit of spending the extra. But at ?500+ for the cheapest from HELD, I felt it best to think about it all and move on. Best fitting jacket of those I tried on was the HELD IMOLA 2, but I couldn't find the right HELD trousers in the shop to match. The Imola 2 had so much freedom of movement without being loose. The Rev It Horizon 2 was a surprise, the fit was much better than everything except the Imola because the adjustability was brilliant. Wasn't sold on the looks in black but overall it was a good setup. It would have been my choice if they'd had one in the right colours there and then.

Whilst they lacked in examples of the colours I'd want, I did get from GetGeared is my textile sizings sorted. Trousers, I need a Large with short leg as it allows for more errr volume in the hip area. And the jacket can be M-XL depending on the cut and how many layers/armour pieces I was to wear with it. L is fine for 99% of the time.

So I popped to Infinity Camberley, the warehouse and yep it's not impressive, bit of a mess in terms of stock display. Felt a bit like Primark when stuff is dumped all over the show. However there was the X-Tour and the cheaper Voyager 3...still no feckin' trousers. Turns out Spidi didn't supply Infinity many, which is odd. Asked at the counter what the difference was in the Voyager 3 and X-Tour as both are waterproof (H2OUT) and in fact I preferred the cheaper jacket's styling, 'is one of them Laminate?' I ask in far fetched hope... No they said. Damn...well why is one cheaper than the other? Sales Assistant goes to the internet...'oh...IT IS a Laminate', followed apologetically with 'they never told us!'. So the X-Tour was Lamintate and ?200 less that the Held Laminate and far better styled. Fit was good, but not as good as the Voyager 3. At this point I wandered around some more, no RST Adventure in either shop, Rukka all too much.

I knew at this point I was down to mail order whatever I wanted as Infinity didn't have the Spidi Trousers and GG didn't have the right Rev IT or Held in shop.

So at 1am that night I had my f**kit moment and ordered the Spidi set. Jacket ended up even cheaper at ?295, Thunder 'Pants' ;) :D ?206
Spidi X-Tour H2OUT Jacket
Spidi Thunder H2OUT Trousers

Once they arrive I will test the fit and decide if I'm keeping them or not...

Good right up Alex.

I've just spent the last couple of hours browsing suits in Aberdeen. Had a look at some held jackets, but wasn't impressed with the styling, and the sales staff in the shop weren't interested in offering any sort of advice.
Onto another shop, and they had cheaper RST, and a cordura Wolf set, neither of which did it for me.
The only 2 makes which I liked the look of was Rukka, which is crazy expensive, and Halvarsons. The Halvarsons suit was just under a grand with a back protector and neck. The suit looked very good quality, but didn't have time to try it on today. Think I'll try getting back to try it on if I get another night here tomorrow.

The only 2 makes which I liked the look of was Rukka, which is crazy expensive, and Halvarsons. The Halvarsons suit was just under a grand with a back protector and neck. The suit looked very good quality, but didn't have time to try it on today.

I really like my Halversons, so I?d give them a recommendation... done miles in mine in a storm and kept me warm and dry. Just don?t get them near a hot exhaust... but I guess that applies to any textile!

Back