which brake pads?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crew chief of a wsbk team and a bsb winning teamt that i know basically said standard or z04 when i was racing my r6 and s1000rr. Basically said anything else is just a waste of money and a placebo.

Make of that what you want.

Also when i bought my s1000rr off shoey he said he and everyone who raced for his team used a standard M/C at the tt including Hickman who was the fastest newcomer round the TT on a standard M/C. I always find it really hard to believe that part are good enough for the superbike race around the worlds most demanding road race but Bob manages to find the limits of the same parts doing 1.55's round cadwell.

Brake Pads

The OEM brake pads are very good and I know quite a few SSTK racers who are using them competitively. This is largely in part due to the rules in SSTK forbid changing the brake calipers and the cost of Z04 pads can prohibit their use for those on a tight budget. Most who use them do so as they are widely accepted within racing circles as being the best race pads currently available. I also know a few racers that use them despite being sponsored by other brake pad manufacturers...

I personally choose to use them because they are the pads that I used to race with, are simply superb and offer good longevity. Now that I have changed calipers they are also significantly cheaper. That and I only ride on track so I do not have to worry about braking performance from cold or keeping heat in them to ensure that they will work. My front and rear OEM master cylinders and brake lines remain unchanged but I do use Castrol SRF brake fluid. For me this braking set up works.

I have used SC pads in the past and they are a great choice for combined road / track use; work very well from cold and offer strong initial bite. The only problem that I found with them is they simply didn't last long with frequent track use. To date, on my S1000RR I have only ever used OEM, Z04 and HP Race brake pads. The latter are a race use only dual compound brake pad which are very good in the dry but unsurprisingly not ideal in the wet.

Ultimately there is so much choice out there and whether you stick to OEM, or choose a suitable pad for your use from one of the main manufacturers (Brembo, SBS, EBC et al), you can't really go wrong.

Back