Metzeler RoadTec01 review

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyingscotsman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
OK better late than never.....

Beginning my review of the Roadtec01s kindly donated to the forum by Metzeler UK. Thank you to Metzeler!
and thank you to Soofy's hand for drawing my name out the hat!

Just had these fitted today replacing old BT016s. Can say so far that:

1. tyres look good for use at this time of year
2. short journey back from the tyre shop on dry & cold road was fine

3. look forward to scrubbing them in a bit and testing more thoroughly

Avatar currently showing rear tyre with a couple of miles, will update photos as time progresses.

Last edited:
I was out with Oli yesterday and he has them on his Sthou, I also have had them fitted to my 1050 Tiger. It will be interesting to read your full review Flyingscotsman.

Cheers Phil. I'll be doing the NC500 (or NC767) with them on which, will be round trip of about 1600 miles including getting there. So should be able to have a good review by the end of that!

Being Scotland in May: of course I won't be able to comment on their wet weather performance (he says more in hope than jest ;-) )

Starting my belated Review of the Metzeler Roadtec01s:

Changed the more sporty Diablo Rosso 3s that I used at Almeria & Snetterton for the pristine Roadtecs in preparation for the NC500.

Gave them a scrub in on 150 mile trip to Cadwell yesterday. About half and half motorway/dual carriageway and twisty A roads -all dry. No issues here and good grip from start (see below).

Today gave them another 150 miles round Cadwell on a nice sunny but chilly day. The Roadtecs performed well on track. When cold the Roadtecs feel slightly sticky to the touch which inspires some confidence from the off on the first lap. This is compared to the Rosso 3s that are distinctly hard and 'plasticy' to the touch when stone cold and not using warmers I take it easy in lap 1 & 2 with them.

The Roadtecs are pretty good from cold & grip improves as they warm up. Though my riding today was not as spirited as in Almeria the Roadtecs aquited themselves well on track.

I was running them at 32/32 psi cold all day and the wear was even and no sign of the 'creasing' or scoring that Immortal Indian saw at Snetterton the other week. (I will run them at 30/30 next time). Will be interesting to see what Metzeler say about his tyres.

Tomorrow will be a hike to Scotland to start the NC500 on Saturday. I'm hoping on this particular NC500 trip I won't get to assess the wet performance of the Roadtecs, but who knows....

Now had the Roadtecs on for 2000 miles. On road I'm running them at the standard 36 / 42 psi. On run up from Cadwell to Ayrshire, on dry A-roads & motorways the Roadtecs performed well & I got a few nice twisties through Dumfries & Galloway. Then over to Jimmys for the start of the NC500.

First two days of NC500 were completely dry and the Roadtecs performed well on grippy Scottish roads that at times made the suspension work. Absolutely no complaints and the tyres inspired confidence on twisty sections through Cairngorms. Decided to give the tyres some extra mileage with a detour to Aberdeen (which was lovely), then Inverness to Wick on the NC500.

Wick to Lochinver was a nice section with fairly empty roads, some single track with rough surfaces.

Last day of NC500 was the wet weather performance test. The Roadtecs coped well with the rain on the way from Lochinver to Fort William. No issues with lack of grip throughout the rain (even when I was in Sport mode for a while by mistake).

Things dried up after Fort William and run down A82 to Balloch was good fun.

Followed up NC500 with boring, but dry & sunny, m-way run down south.

After 2000 miles the Roadtecs don't look very different to when I put them on. Still loads of tread left, at least 4-5 mm throughout. On the rear there is only just a very slight flattening of the profile (can't say 'squaring' yet). They certainly look good for at least another 2000 touring miles.

Had the Roadtecs on for another 2 trackdays at Cadwell this week in 30C heat. They performed well with plenty of grip leaned over. Only little squirm was my fault for changing down one gear too much coming down to Mansfied. Still plenty of tread left but now starting to square off a little on the rear. Still fine for road and touring after about 3000 miles & 3 trackdays.

Back