6k service costs?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preynol1

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Not long to go before I have to pay for my first 6k service. Anyone got an idea of what costs to expect? I think it?s only oil and air filter change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So who are you going to use Paul, Cannons ? Or phone around?

Thought I?d ring around just in case there?s a saving to be had.

I?ve no issue with Cannons and there closer to me, but the 600 mile service was about ?150 for an oil change and to plug in a lap top! So I want to check I?m not paying a premium.

When I get some prices I will post if anyone is interested.

just paid 167 for the 6k oil change, only needed the service stamp.

Yep, makes you gag when you see oil at ?19 a litre plus vat on the invoice but looking at the big picture the stamp in the book is worth the extra just to keep the residual value of the bike up come trade-in time.

Definitely worth phoning around dealers though, there was a ?300 difference in the 18,000 miles service on my HP4 in November across 3 BMW dealerships.

Good luck.

JimmyMac

If you buy a bike through Lind Norwich the first 3 services are included.

- Sent from Mobile

What's this breakdown cover you guys speak of?
Down here in Oz we get 2 years road side assistance from new, then you have to pay annually (separately) if you want to keep this service active...are you saying you guys get this included as long as the bike is being serviced by BMW? - paying for it of course, but non-optional as well?

Yes if u get ur bike serviced at bmw u get another years breakdown assistance which probably would cost ?70-90 per year . It?s very good cover with excellent reviews from those that have used it by all accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh I thought it was free only for the two years warranty then you had to pay? Are we sure about this?

Oh I thought it was free only for the two years warranty then you had to pay? Are we sure about this?

Jay can you check your facts because I understand the situation is as preynol describes. Warranty = breakdown cover, service = nada.

Yep, makes you gag when you see oil at ?19 a litre plus vat on the invoice but looking at the big picture the stamp in the book is worth the extra just to keep the residual value of the bike up come trade-in time.

Definitely worth phoning around dealers though, there was a ?300 difference in the 18,000 miles service on my HP4 in November across 3 BMW dealerships.

Good luck.

JimmyMac

I'll second Jimmy's comments..he got me a deal on my 18k too ?438.57p, I was quoted ?700 or thereabouts from Dalkeith, who by all accounts have given me really good service in the past...almost ?300 savings is a pair of tyres and a couple of tanks of gas, shop around mate.

Stuart

you get free assistance for your first 2 years i believe , probably BMW making it sound as if your getting a good deal on servicing and not getting ripped off, and the part ex prices ive herd people getting serviced makes no difference, the dealer opens the book and gives you less than bottom,

On part ex prices:
Dealers expect bikes to have fbmwsh, and most have. They are not going to have much interest in taking in a bike that hasnt been correctly serviced and maintained, it is a buyers market, plenty to pick from, prices will be low.

Rip off servicing:
There are significant benefits regarding warranty if the bike is serviced by a dealer, and goodwill thereafter. I dont like paying big money for straight forward jobs either, but bmw bike dealers have big overheads which we end up paying for. At least when I am paying through the nose the coffee isnt bad and I am always greeted with a smile. For the difference in cost between an indy and a main dealer I dont feel its that bad.

Jay can you check your facts because I understand the situation is as preynol describes. Warranty = breakdown cover, service = nada.

I'd be interested to find out what additional cover you get for keeping up BMW servicing. I was thinking of getting my next service done a few months early, to ensure the bike gets a good gong over before the 2 year warranty expires.

I think it depends on the dealer for the car/bike similarity but I do agree that unfortunately imo some dealers are car dealers selling bikes.

I'd be interested to find out what additional cover you get for keeping up BMW servicing. I was thinking of getting my next service done a few months early, to ensure the bike gets a good gong over before the 2 year warranty expires.

It's a condition of the warranty (and roadside recovery if included) whether the original one or an extended warranty (either purchased or offered on a used bike from BMW) that the bike is serviced at correct intervals as specified by BMW using oem parts. It doesn't need to be done by a BMW dealer, it can be done by an independent provided they follow the correct schedule.

That said in my opinion there are advantages of going with BMW.
1. If there was a claim you might have to show everything done according to BMW schedule - for an oil service easy, but maybe not for an 18,000 mile service.
2. Having a relationship with a dealer can help facilitate warranty & non warranty claims with BMW UK.

I agree it's annoying to pay ?180 for oil /filter/air filter change but you need to balance against the benefits.

Back