Ear Defenders

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Ultimate Squidgy ear defenders but always have a handful of spare, and very cheap, 3M foam earplugs with me on trackdays just in case. The only downside of my custom earplugs was that I found the ear impression process particularly unpleasant!

https://ultimateear.com/products/squidgy

I have used ultimate ear protection for the last 3 years and really like them.

https://ultimateear.com/

And at the NEC this year I had a pair of custom fit guards made.

https://www.customfitguards.co.uk/

They offered extra discount by quoting ?The Missenden Flyer?.

Both are excellent & comfortable.

My advice is buy them in the brightest colour possible, it helped me find them in dim light on numerous occasions.

I feel naked riding without them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm those IEM?s from Custom Guard look the business.

The drivers in my Ultimate Ears were incredible. So, so loud because they were efficient...

- Sent from Mobile

Thanks Guys,
Great info, I am heading up to LeMans 24 moto in April, and I will check out the ear defender stands.
Hopefully the ones you have mentioned are there.

... really soft ones that are more comfy than the roll up ones...
JimmyMac

What's the make Jimmy? I'm still hunting for a good solution.
My ears are buggered after I bought some Ultimatear moulded ones, got an infection in both ears (they shared a box) and both ear canals have never recovered, even after 2 years. I won't go into detail but it's messy and painful. Had all sorts of sh*t from the doctor, nothing works. It's called Otitis Externa (aka swimmers ear), and kicks off every time I use any sort of plug, no matter how careful :-(

My ears are buggered after I bought some Ultimatear moulded ones, got an infection in both ears (they shared a box) and both ear canals have never recovered, even after 2 years. I won't go into detail but it's messy and painful. Had all sorts of sh*t from the doctor, nothing works. It's called Otitis Externa (aka swimmers ear), and kicks off every time I use any sort of plug, no matter how careful :-(
The best treatment is a combination of topical antibiotics & corticosteroids.
Compliance & proper application is key.

Your issue is likely to be the tight fitting nature of the plugs are non breathable & the build up of moisture is causing/exacerbating the problem. Keeping the area as dry as possible & residue free will help. Gently using a hairdryer prior to insertion of plug has been shown to help.

You could of course be reacting to the materials ( or previously used materials).

They are Moldex contours 7400 with a 35 DB reduction in noise.

PM me your address Huge and I'll send some to you to try, just about to post some out to Moogerdoo in France so no hassle.

JimmyMac

c5dd88dc1a905a165cf41543495d8782.jpg

JimmyMac

Jimmy,
The ear plugs you sent are great. I wore them for a long ride on Saturday and they were great. They are very soft and do not irritate the ear canal lining. First time I've had no ear trouble after a long ride in years. Revelation. Cheers, H

200 pairs ffs.. I'll chip in with whoever buys them. Could do a 4 way split 50 pairs each...

Just noticed they do a tub of 50...ideal..

Stuart

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jimmy, I'm on their site but can't see the 7400s in a smaller batch, do they only do 200s in the 7400s What size do you order small or Standard ?

Cheers

Stuart

Last edited:
What about the 7705?s which come in 50?s?

- Sent from Mobile

I've tried similar Alex, as a matter of fact I have some of that style in the garage, I like the look of those ones Jimmy uses with the skinny bit in the middle (techy term that) lol

You needing any I'll split them with you. 100 pairs will last ages.....

Stuart

Last edited:
I ordered new moulded ear phones today. These guys were at the MCN show, taking moulds today.
http://www.mercuryhearing.com/

They will be unfiltered, dynamic driver, bluetooth (with voice/microphone).

?150 I'll report back when I get them. Hopefully they are as good as the Ultimate Ear's I had before (they are making sleeping plugs for me too :) )

I ordered new moulded ear phones today. These guys were at the MCN show, taking moulds today.
http://www.mercuryhearing.com/

They will be unfiltered, dynamic driver, bluetooth (with voice/microphone).

?150 I'll report back when I get them. Hopefully they are as good as the Ultimate Ear's I had before (they are making sleeping plugs for me too :) )

They sound ideal for sport helmets, particularly those without the conventional intercom speaker cutout!
When will you receive them?
Was it uncomfortable having the impressions taken?

Sometime in early March I think.
The run time is 8hrs. MicroUSB to recharge.
The previous moulds were great for sound too, so I'm hoping these are comparable. I did tell them I had the Ultimate Ears already...so asked why theirs are better, they said the material is basically the same, but they believe their Dynamic Driver is better.

The mould taking process is a doddle. An ear canal check. A foam plug is pushed down the ear canal with a small thread attached (to pull them out). They then used a syringe to push the moulding gel into the ear canal upto the plug and then over the entire ear 'opening'. The moulding goo is colder than body temperature, but there's no discomfort or pressure. It was actually nice and quiet in the exhibition hall whilst they were curing. Once 5mins or so has passed, they pull them out, ask you what colour to make them (Matte Grey for my Earphones and Blue for the sleepers) and relieve you of cash.

They are a family business with a history of supplying the NHS with Hearing Aids, they only branched out to the private sector 5 years ago.

Sometime in early March I think.
The run time is 8hrs. MicroUSB to recharge.
The previous moulds were great for sound too, so I'm hoping these are comparable. I did tell them I had the Ultimate Ears already...so asked why theirs are better, they said the material is basically the same, but they believe their Dynamic Driver is better.

The mould taking process is a doddle. An ear canal check. A foam plug is pushed down the ear canal with a small thread attached (to pull them out). They then used a syringe to push the moulding gel into the ear canal upto the plug and then over the entire ear 'opening'. The moulding goo is colder than body temperature, but there's no discomfort or pressure. It was actually nice and quiet in the exhibition hall whilst they were curing. Once 5mins or so has passed, they pull them out, ask you what colour to make them (Matte Grey for my Earphones and Blue for the sleepers) and relieve you of cash.

They are a family business with a history of supplying the NHS with Hearing Aids, they only branched out to the private sector 5 years ago.

I ordered a pair of Pro Plugs from the show too, but without the built in speakers. Bright colours, Red for right and Blue for left. Delivery by end of March ?40. Will see how they good they are .

Back