Ear Defenders

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moogerdoo

Reaction score
After the discussion with Huge, and his problem with earplugs ( Cannot use them ) I was wondering what everyone else used ? I use the normal neoprene throw away plugs but on a long journey I find them painfull so I also carry Cotton wool.
I have seen other plugs on the market, Pinlock, Senna and No Noise etc , but they say noise cancelling and ( These plugs reduce wind noise by 24db ) what does that actually mean, if you start at 104db and reduce to 80db you will go deaf ??
I just want low wind noise 0db and no pain and not have to buy a schuberth.

Standard foam plugs have always worked best for me, I also seem to make one set last about four weeks...bonus!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I?ve tried all sorts over the years... I eventually had custom made ones that were really good (as you?d expect being moulded for my ears) but they were pricy and when I got an intercom I discovered they were too good. Since then I?ve just reverted to Auritechs which do the job for me. I hear lots of good stuff about the Isolates but never tried then so can?t comment. Ultimately I think custom made are usually going to be the best but usually you have to put your hand in your pocket. Nowadays you can have them with speakers built in too to get over my intercom problem but I?ve just never bothered. The auritechs are enough for me, but it feels really weird if I ever forget to ride without something in nowadays.

99% of the time I just have my iPod in blaring music at too high a volume.
I also have ultimate ear custom plugs that are really good but made me seasick the first few times I wore them, some times just use the roll up spongy ones, they do fine.

But then again I wear a Schuberth on occasions, lol.

Send me a PM with your address Mooger and I'll send you some really soft ones that are more comfy than the roll up ones, least you can give them a try, nothing ventured and all that.

JimmyMac

Got a custom pair of ear plugs with changeable noise filters (like 24db, 18db, etc). I plug them in everytime I?m going to ride.

I use Quies foam ear plugs and really rate them. They?re disposable but I use them until they loose their squidge (very scientific lol). I wear them every night whilst sleeping and on every ride and have never found them uncomfortable.
Have tried custom moulded in the past but didn?t get on with them.

All the dB reduction is, is a statement of how effective the ear plugs are at reducing the ambient noise level. They don?t actively target wind noise, the only way that would be possible is via noise cancellation technology.

Regardless of helmet, it is always good practice to wear ear plugs whilst riding to protect your hearing

https://www.quies.com/product/foam-earplugs/

Bear in mind the dB scale is logarithmic, so a 20 or 30 dB reduction is considerable [emoji4]

I use foams too.. cheap and effective. I also had the ones you get at bike shows. Cost like 30 or 40 quid and promptly lost one...typical

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jimmymac,
Sorry for my thickfulness but what is a PM, I will take you up on that.

3M 1100 foam disposables have the highest SNR reduction that I could find. -37dB
But they can be a little on the firm side and can irritate the ear canal (pressure). Persistence is key the more you wear them the more your ears will get used to them.

I've not come across an ear defender you can fit over the ear, and use a helmet.

I have moulded earphones from Ultimate Ears but the cables f*cked and I need them replaced. Can't find the blanks to send them off...

I use hearos.

Like others, i reuse them until they are not squidgy or embarrassingly dirty lol.

Used mould before and didnt get on with them.

With the hearos, like other foam ear plugs, fitting them correctly makes all the difference. I also use them when I sleep as I pick up on noise very easily.

I spend ?50 on some custom plugs at the NEC show a few years ago, wore them twice as I found they pressed uncomfortably into my ear with my helmet on. I just use foam plugs now but there's no substitute for an excellent fitting low noise helmet - Shark Race R pro carbon is perfect for me in both respects

Ive tried 4 or 5 different types inc custom made ones and i cant get on with any of them

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

pof,
Yes I am the same but will check out the above websites, but a lot are for Musicians and concerts etc, motorcycle riders are an afterthought.
But I will still nick and keep a stash of the wife's cottonwool as a safety net.

... will check out the above websites, but a lot are for Musicians and concerts etc, motorcycle riders are an afterthought ...

Personally I wouldn?t think of ear plugs as application specific, they simply lower the volume whatever that happens to be [emoji846]

Back