Body position and legs.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preynol1

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
After a bit of advice from the track-day boys on the site.

When hanging off what leg should be used most to support you?
I always find that my inside leg takes most my body weight which feels like it restricts the flex outwards towards the tarmac. My outside leg is not really doing a lot and I has no real load on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do the same, it's tiring. Outside leg's knee to inner thigh against the tank is the correct way.

Last edited:
Your outside leg should be in a locked position on the side of the tank holding you in position so your inside leg can pivot with the ability to vary the amount of weight/pressure on the peg.

+1, but in addition move your backside to the edge of the seat, head positioned looking through the corner over the inside bar and with the ball of your inside foot towards the end of the peg. Your inside leg shouldn't be tense at all, don't try and reach down with your knee, just pivoting as Soof says, then as you tip in with reasonable but fairly modest lean (I can do it from 44 deg those of you with a gen 3) you'll feel your slider hit the tarmac without any effort at all. Simples :)

My problem getting into the right position on the seat was sitting too far forwards near to the tank, the more space you have between your balls and the tank the easier it is to move to the side without rotating your hips. If you dont move off the bike in symmetry but leave your head central and just move your bum, your hips turn and make getting your knee out much harder, and also reducing the strength from your outside leg to support you.

+1, but in addition move your backside to the edge of the seat, head positioned looking through the corner over the inside bar and with the ball of your inside foot towards the end of the peg. Your inside leg shouldn't be tense at all, don't try and reach down with your knee, just pivoting as Soof says, then as you tip in with reasonable but fairly modest lean (I can do it from 44 deg those of you with a gen 3) you'll feel your slider hit the tarmac without any effort at all. Simples :)

Should be rammed up against the frame or it will scrape the floor

Should be rammed up against the frame or it will scrape the floor

I have started to play with this, as toe down has occurred too often. But it's hard to disassociate toe down with peg down. As in your head you think it must be close when the reality is my flappy feet are reducing possible lean angle by a mile.

I have started to play with this, as toe down has occurred too often. But it's hard to disassociate toe down with peg down. As in your head you think it must be close when the reality is my flappy feet are reducing possible lean angle by a mile.

100%....I get in the habit early when I sit up to get in position for a turn, because of my old bones I have to do half a leg dangle first lol.

Tuck knee in , elbow straight in line with knee. Shoulder raised , flick bars in and accelerate off again ... I’ve just wet my pants
Look at the angle of that back wheel fighting grip whilst the front just directs in and out. That feeling of power, the speed and imminent crashing relying on ur sole flick with a press off from the elbow as she rises into the apex , the traction biting , the gas coming in more and more , she lifts up and boom lets do it again , **** the lap , life is all about that turn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Think you need a chill out and a cold shower after that.... :Banane55:

After a bit of advice from the track-day boys on the site.

When hanging off what leg should be used most to support you?
I always find that my inside leg takes most my body weight which feels like it restricts the flex outwards towards the tarmac. My outside leg is not really doing a lot and I has no real load on it.

I?ve had the same problem, still do sometimes and have to keep reminding myself to stop it. It?s probably been covered in all of the above, but the trick seems to be to support your weight with the inside thigh muscles of the leg on the outside of the turn, not the foot on the inside. You kind of hang on the tension of the inside of your thigh rather than destroying the balls of your feet. To help with that, and to get your outside leg in the right position, you have the option of raising your outside leg by lifting your knee with a calf raise to get it into a useful place on the outside of the tank. Stomp grips are essential though. The extra bonus with this is that you can pull your bum back to the centre when you?re done by pulling in with your outside thigh rather than pushing with your inside foot. Spine and wheels must be parallel at all times, to remind you,focus on bending your inside elbow rather than head position, if you get that right you?ll be looking around the mirror area anyway. Space between the tank and your crotch will give you the space to work this, it doesn?t feel very natural at first and you?ll need to work on your flexibility! But, hopefully you?ll end up much much more relaxed, and that?ll be less tiring in the long run. There is a variation to get you through L/R turns in quick succession, which involves dragging your bum across the seat by pulling with your outside thigh, until your totally crossed up, then moving the upper body over (bending the other elbow) and the doing a calf raise on the opposite leg to lock on. It?s mostly in the thighs, not the feet, if your feet are hurting, it may look right, but you don?t have the right muscles working for you. With all of that, you should also be aware of not holding your upper body upright too much, if at all, with your arms. You need finesse and controlled bar movements in the plane of movement, not weight bearing down on grips. Works for me, usually....

Thanks for the advice guys explains a lot. Tried hanging off in the garage and using the outside leg makes a massive difference to the effort. Feels mor balanced. Just need to practice to make it second nature

Last edited:
Audio is awful.

Stu

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It improves considerably after he switches to a traditional microphone, thankfully this is fairly early on so no information is missed [emoji846]

Back