i2i - Knee Down Course

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Admin
Reaction score
Just a pointer if anyone wants one. There are courses out there to help with 'Machine Control'. This is different to the road sense and ride safe type of training, but very complimentary.

I've done the older MC1 and 3 courses but I'm going back to do the newer MC3 which is limited to 6 people at a time...and is aimed safe, repeatable, comfortable control of the bike with the knee on the deck.

https://www.i2imca.com
Specifically; https://www.i2imca.com/Booking/checkspaces.asp?eventtype=MC3

I've booked myself on for Bovingdon on the 13th of April. Those that have followed my track exploits are all too well aware how my lack of ability to get comfortable at lean is holding me up. Having been on Tom's courses before I'm fully confident with some tuition I'll finally crack it. It's going to help using their bike at first, but like Soof, when he went over a year ago I think, I hope to get some practice on the RR too by the end of the day.

There's still a space left on the April 13th course if anyone fancies joining me!

Last edited:
York is closest to you chap.

But Tom will go any where they are welcome and have enough people!

Yes it is an excellent way to get used to having your knee down, although rather pointless unless knee down serves a purpose which is why I thought the course was very good.

Using my own bike for the last few sessions of the day was a little unnerving but worthwhile to get the feel.

Alex, your only problem, afaik, with body position is your head, it is near central when you are trying to lean off the bike, which causes all sorts of problems. Head needs to be around the imaginary wing mirror position to allow the rest of your body to remain parallel with the bike. Tom will help for sure, I think you will come away so much happier with things.

Yeah, i think I?m too stiff/central.
I?ll benefit just from repeating the same drills.
I push down through the bars too, the head should fix that.

Maybe yoga is the answer lol

- Sent from Mobile

Was just looking at these courses as definitely have a mental block getting the bike right over recently and stiffening up on the bike. Would be good to sort this out in a non track day environment - Bovingdon not too far from me either...

Yes it is an excellent way to get used to having your knee down, although rather pointless unless knee down serves a purpose which is why I thought the course was very good.

Using my own bike for the last few sessions of the day was a little unnerving but worthwhile to get the feel.

Alex, your only problem, afaik, with body position is your head, it is near central when you are trying to lean off the bike, which causes all sorts of problems. Head needs to be around the imaginary wing mirror position to allow the rest of your body to remain parallel with the bike. Tom will help for sure, I think you will come away so much happier with things.

Soofsayer What are the stages during day, do you take it in turns or are there multiple bikes? Is there a lot of classroom work or is it more practical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

York is closest to you chap.

But Tom will go any where they are welcome and have enough people!
Think he would do anything up toward us Alex.. that susp seminar me and Soof went to was decent but I was totally jiggered.. up at 430am showered shaved changed and down there for 9am my eyes were knocking together half way through..

Stuart

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Soofsayer What are the stages during day, do you take it in turns or are there multiple bikes? Is there a lot of classroom work or is it more practical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The aim of the day is to be able to ride around a figure of 8 layout and be able to have your knee down. When I went I think there were 5 of us and 1 no show. He brought 1 bike. It was dry.

The training is progressive. It starts off very basic first but it all makes complete sense and works, it is clever the way he does it, everyone had their knee down on the day. Its a method he and his brother developed (I think thats right and his bro is a behavioural psychologist, but apologies if I remember that wrongly).

Yes, you take it in turns on his bike. It has huge crash bungs but it was only dropped once. Tom explains the theory of each part of the training and then will demonstrate it on the bike, then each attendee takes it in turns to replicate. When everyone is happy he moves on to the next bit. Quite fun cheering each other on.

Yes i2i is all outdoors, on an airfield. So it's theory, demo, practice - rinse and repeat.

Tomorrow, I hope to have sorted my body position, though sunnier weather would have been nice.

'fresh' sliders ready...I say fresh, they've been on my Dainese 2-piece since I bought them...

I hope you have a great time at the course tomorrow Alex, I?m sure it?ll be very educational regardless of the weather.
That being said, fingers crossed it?s dry! [emoji256]

Will look forward to hearing how you get on

Last edited:
Tomorrow, I hope to have sorted my body position, though sunnier weather would have been nice.

'fresh' sliders ready...I say fresh, they've been on my Dainese 2-piece since I bought them...

About time Alex, I expect to see pics of well scuffed sliders on here tomorrow night!

Back