Upgrade to HP4 or a Gen 3?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePeps

Reaction score
So In April I will have had my Gen 1 for 2 years ('61 plate currently on 11k miles). So I'm thinking about a little upgrade and torn a bit on either a HP4 or a Gen 3 bike, both for around the same prices.

So, pros & cons:

HP4 - can swap my mods to it, less around so should hold value? Look awesome. However lower tech compared to a new one, and possibly less reliable?

Gen 3 - would have to buy new parts (probably an extra grands worth), but all the new tech and refinements.

Riding wise I probably do 2-3k on the road, however I'm determined to do 4/5 track days a year, plus a week at the TT. I'm not the quickest rider but I like to think I'm fairly competent and wanting to learn more about riding better.

I reckon it would be about ?5k to swap to either, and mainly aiming to the HP$ because of the pros above, but is that the right road to go down?

If you are going to track and tour a bit then I would buy the gen 3 as its more disposable and a little easier to ride. HP4s need looking after to keep their value to future buyers. Lots of miles and trackdays are not ideal.

If anything the hp4 is more reliable than the 3rd gen bike. Issues are rare. Tech wise the real world differences are blipper, cruise control, lean angle/braking readouts, thats the bulk of it I think.

Joe, as Soof says no reliability issues I have known on the HP4.

I've had my Carbon 4 and a half years and the only problem it's ever had was the quick shifter was a bit stiff for the first 1000 miles but that also might have been cause I was at fault too. About 18.5k miles now with absolutely no issues.

All BMWs are robust and all bikes are more capable than the rider on it, so just buy what you like the look of most.

Happy hunting.

JimmyMac

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm more inclined by the HP4, I much prefer something a little more special I think. I won't be turning it into a track bike, just a few little bits and pieces that are easy to remove.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm more inclined by the HP4, I much prefer something a little more special I think. I won't be turning it into a track bike, just a few little bits and pieces that are easy to remove.
Everytime i get on my HP4 Carbon it feels special and to look at even more special, it will hold its value where as a gen 3 yes it has a bit more tech but its just another s1krr and will look like every other one in the car park !! and prices will reflect that a year after it has left the showroom. If you can exploit either to there full potential then your a better rider than 99 percent of people here.

chris

Just bought my 2014 HP4 last Saturday. So went through the same process. And lets not forget the hype about the 2019 Model. Only time will tell but I hope HP4 will keep its value over the g3 or 2019 (never spent so much on a bike).

Cant quite believe how fast it is (I'm 55) and the noise (link pipe) is amazing. Id go HP4 but I'm bias.

So In April I will have had my Gen 1 for 2 years ('61 plate currently on 11k miles). So I'm thinking about a little upgrade and torn a bit on either a HP4 or a Gen 3 bike, both for around the same prices.

So, pros & cons:

HP4 - can swap my mods to it, less around so should hold value? Look awesome. However lower tech compared to a new one, and possibly less reliable?

Gen 3 - would have to buy new parts (probably an extra grands worth), but all the new tech and refinements.

Riding wise I probably do 2-3k on the road, however I'm determined to do 4/5 track days a year, plus a week at the TT. I'm not the quickest rider but I like to think I'm fairly competent and wanting to learn more about riding better.

I reckon it would be about ?5k to swap to either, and mainly aiming to the HP$ because of the pros above, but is that the right road to go down?
What did you go for in the end? I've been having the same debate with myself but I think I'll be getting an HP4 Carbon in the next week or so

What did you go for in the end? I've been having the same debate with myself but I think I'll be getting an HP4 Carbon in the next week or so

Test rode a Panigale and a HP4, from the 2 the Ducati is the one for me. Got off that with the biggest grin ever, while I got off the HP4 and just thought it's a slightly better S1000RR that I already own.

It's a great bike but not in a million years worth ?7k more than my gen1 - in my opinion!

Test rode a Panigale and a HP4, from the 2 the Ducati is the one for me. Got off that with the biggest grin ever, while I got off the HP4 and just thought it's a slightly better S1000RR that I already own.

It's a great bike but not in a million years worth ?7k more than my gen1 - in my opinion!

Fair enough mate, if the extra cost of the V4 is worth it to you then great! To be fair I reckon it?d be my choice too if money was no issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough mate, if the extra cost of the V4 is worth it to you then great! To be fair I reckon it’d be my choice too if money was no issue

I actually rode an 1199s which you can pick up for less than a HP4!
It's all horses for courses and the HP4 is a great bike, I think part of it is I fancy a complete change in looks / noise / character as I've had my gen1 for 3 years nearly.

I actually rode an 1199s which you can pick up for less than a HP4!
It's all horses for courses and the HP4 is a great bike, I think part of it is I fancy a complete change in looks / noise / character as I've had my gen1 for 3 years nearly.

Ahh sorry! I think my brain saw ?Panigale? and the ?4? and made me think it was a V4 you rode. Fair play!

Back