Input shaft bearing & housing

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N80Jamie

Reaction score
I?m stripping down my clutch this weekend (2010 s1000rr) due to a rattle coming from the clutch. I?ve searched hi and low and there isn?t any definitive answers or solutions to this problem as different things have worked for different people.

I have seen this video on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/aOif3XB7V2s

The technicians in this video have said they can sort the ?sloppiness? without removing the engine so I?m assuming that means they?re able to change the input shaft bearing like this?

As I?ve mentioned, not stripping the clutch until the weekend but if I find this sort of play in the input shaft, I want to know what?s next for me.

Heres a video of the clutch noise for anyone that is interested. I have already posted about this noise with not much help found.
https://youtu.be/1AjvnoDJSyc

This noise only occurs stationary with the clutch lever out. It goes away when upping the rpm or pulling in the clutch lever.

No thankfully. Clutch and gearbox both operate perfectly. Just this noise at idle.

That’s the plan. Just wanted to see if anyone knew if that bearing could be replaced without engine removal. I’ll take progress photos and videos over the weekend and highlight any ‘loose’ areas. Fingers crossed I’ll get to the bottom of it!

So, stripped the clutch down today and found a few things worth mentioning to possibly help me diagnose the issue..

Does the Thrust piece just sit in position or is it screwed in anywhere? Only reason I ask is because it just slid straight out and I noticed there is a threaded portion on it.

The input shaft does have play forwards and backwards.. I?ve added a video below to highlight what I mean.

i have also tried to highlight the chain which I believe to be driving the water pump. Is it supposed to be this slack?

The basket springs are loose but I have seen this in other videos and it turned out not to be the issue. Video below

Clutch

If you haven't already done so you may want to check the tolerances and assembly/disassembly instructions in the Service Manual. That should help you out.

I’ve had the service manual up today and there isn’t really anything to help the diagnosis unfortunately

Inspected the different clutch components today.. The Clutch basket has play between the basket itself and the gear that is riveted on and the Pressure plate has some scoring from what looks like the springs. Any help or past experiences shared will be appreciated!

Clutch

Whenever I've had issues with clutches (not BMW) in the past it's generally been an issue with springs or plates. I would check each clutch friction plate for wear and thickness together with spring length to ensure correct tension. The tolerances for both should be in the Service Manual but if not just check with your local BMW dealership. If both those variables are within limits it may hint that there is an issue with the clutch basket itself or something more sinister.

Thanks for reply’s guys. I’ve managed to source a complete clutch kit to test. That should either solve the issue or rule out the clutch entirely. Fingers crossed it points to the clutch!

Clutch

Hopefully that resolves the problem and it's a just clutch issue and not something far more expensive.

Fitted the new clutch today and so far I don’t have this noise. However, clutch is engaging even when the clutch is pulled in. Is this a case of cable adjustment?

Re: Clutch

https://youtu.be/0cR3GV5o8xw

noise gone! Very happy it’s nothing in the engine casing. There was play in the clutch basket rivets and the friction plates were also able to move a bit so I can only put it down to either of those really.

https://youtu.be/0cR3GV5o8xw

noise gone! Very happy it?s nothing in the engine casing. There was play in the clutch basket rivets and the friction plates were also able to move a bit so I can only put it down to either of those really.

Do you have a video showing the play between the rivets? My guess to your noise is definitely the rotational clutch springs, there should not be any play there.

The clutch not engaging is usually due to cable adjustment, however, a new clutch would require you to adjust the pressure rod:

2e52rdx.jpg

In general? A dry clutch keeps your oil clean from clutch plate debris. In turn, the torque capacity is way higher since the oil decreases the friction coefficient.

Looking at the price of alpha racing, around 3000 euros, this would be the very very last update I would do when building a track weapon.

Starting with: good suspension, good brake pads, race mapping for traction control. This brings so much more performance for less money.

Yes, very cool. Trick bit.

That is it. Performance gain is minimal unless you have a very high tuned engine.

Do you have a video showing the play between the rivets? My guess to your noise is definitely the rotational clutch springs, there should not be any play there.

The clutch not engaging is usually due to cable adjustment, however, a new clutch would require you to adjust the pressure rod:

2e52rdx.jpg

I believe I posted a video of the play in the rivets on the previous page mate. Should be another YouTube link.

Back