2010 decat fitting help

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie3138

Reaction score
Hi there, new here today and need advice re fitting a decat pipe to a 2010.
Is is possible to cut the cat off without removing the headers?
I fancy putting a decat pipe on mine with a different backbox so it's not too loud, but removing the downpipes looks a right pain.
Can anyone advise or point me in the right direction?
regards
charlie

Hi charlie welcome to the forum. I think someone else on here did cut the cat off without taking the headers off but it was a pita to do.

Welcome to the forum Charlie!

+1 on what @bananaman says, I would remove the headers prior to surgery lol.
Bear in mind you should check the fuelling on a dyno after de-catting the bike and ideally custom map via a fuel module.

Where are you based?

Enjoy the forum, there?s a wonderful community on here and loads of information.
May you have many more happy miles ahead of you [emoji4]

Oli

Hi Charlie , I've got the 2011 and I removed the de cat box without removing the headers. It is a bit fiddly but doable , it's more about having the confidence to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies everyone, I've not really had a good look at the cat, I suppose it's all down to wether I can get a hacksaw blade in there or not, looks a bit tight on space. Desperate to get rid of that awful cat which is now rusty looking and generally grim which is a shame as the rest of the bike is shiny and lovely. I fancy the look and sound of the toro back box and decat pipe which is from a uk based firm for sensible money. FYI, I'm Chester based with a 10 plate s1krr sport in motorsport colours I've had for 3 and a bit years. Dying to get out on it but the weather is so pants this time of year.

I got the link pipe but the more expensive one , about ?200 I think , not the cheaper ones from Poland . A good quality. It's comes with measurements of where to cut it. I used a resipicator to cut it. I had a mate to help but more for another set of eyes to watch the blade as it goes really close to the sump.

Thanks for that, I take it you cut the cat in situ then? There must be room to get the saw in then, excellent. What silencer do you use?

A Makita resipicator. A hacksaw would do it but it will be a bit time consuming.

As I said before Charlie, it's more of having the confidence to do it. I'm not mechanically minded but managed to do it ok.

Many thanks for that info. I can see myself attacking the cat come spring when it's a bit warmer and finally getting rid of it.👍

I attempted to cut my cat off with headers still on bike. Didn't go so well and very fiddlying and hard to get a good cut. I ended up taking the whole thing off for a easy painless job :D

Never done it myself Charlie but taking the down pipes off and giving yourself plenty free space will likely be easier and makes for a way neater/tidier job mate... If I was doing same job I'd pull the whole system off the bike...

Stuart

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

​I cut my cat off tonight with a hacksaw while still on the bike,pretty easy with a nice sharp blade

Shakeysdad, that sounds good, if it doesn't sound too silly, how did you fit the hacksaw in? Did you use a just the blade with one of those little end handle things on? Was it a junior or full size hacksaw. Did you take or cut the heatshield off first? It looks really tight for space how did you get a good stroke on the blade. Would you mind going through exactly how you did it, that would be really helpful.

Hi Charlie, it?s a shame you?re so far away, I could help you, I?m in London. I used a recipicator ( an electric saw ) with a metal cutting blade. The heat shield I left on and that helps protect the sump, just in case . There was 2 of us. 1 cutting and the other just looking at all angles . It was quite nerve racking but fairly easy. Make sure there?s enough left on pipe to fix the link pipe to. I hope this helps a bit.

it was a full size hacksaw with a new blade.im lucky enough to have a bike lift so it was on paddock stands as high as the lift will go.starting underneath , on the brake side I cut the edge of the heat shield and got about 90% through , on the other side again I cut the heat shield and got all the way through. then got another new blade and wrapped a rag around the end and cut the rest of the brake side. all in all pretty easy

That's brilliant info, thanks very much. Steve, on the recip saw, was the blade long enough? The metal cutting blades look fairly short as if there is not enough reach to get all the way through the pipe. I don't own one but would consider buying one to do the job to save taking the exhaust headers off. I remember doing valve clearances on my old R1 a few years back and it was a nightmare getting the fairing, radiators etc off. And even worse,getting it all back together neatly again.

Back