2017 model

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swty

Reaction score
Ok decided it?s a 2017 in silver and black found a lot on autotrader all seem to have about 1500 miles on them.
Not bothered about the mileage as it?s not a lot but a big saving.
Anyway my question is exhausts because the standard looks terrible imo so do I have to have a full system to get rid of the cat and will the bike need a map or will the echo look after it.

You can "de-cat" which is what I did to my 2010 and my 2015 which requires you actually cutting the Cat off and putting a Y pipe in its place - Did this and lost about 14bhp bare in mind.
I then came to my senses and thought Power over sound and purchased a full akrapovic which also gets rid of the cat. Also gained about 14-16bhp.

hi mate i juts recently got mine in the same color sceme. i am in the same situation. ATM im thinking austin racing but cannor decide wheather to go full or just box and link pipe.

any advice lads?

hi mate i juts recently got mine in the same color sceme. i am in the same situation. ATM im thinking austin racing but cannor decide wheather to go full or just box and link pipe.

any advice lads?

If it's just a slip on it's fine you wont lose or gain anything I'm pretty sure.
De-catting mine lost me as i said about 14bhp.
The full akra did wonders as it is made to make power and akrapovic is well..Akrapovic. I also gained about 15bhp with it.

If you wish to remove the catalytic converter, I would whole heartedly recommend a full system and a fuel module such as a Rapid Bike Race.
It is always good practice when removing a catalytic converter to check the fuelling on a Dyno. Nothing beats a custom map.

Bear in mind that whilst the cables for the exhaust exup servo?s can be removed, the servo motors cannot.
If they are, an engine warning light appears

any advice lads?

Further to what @Felix says, I think the decision slip-on vs full system also comes down to what sort of riding you partake in.

If you are a road rider I would recommend a full system and fuel module. Crisp fuelling, power and sound.
If however, you enjoy track days, full systems can be problematic with noise limits. In which case the flexibility of a slip-on of your choice which can be easily swapped with the OEM silencer can be a very sensible option.

Further to what @Felix says, I think the decision slip-on vs full system also comes down to what sort of riding you partake in.

If you are a road rider I would recommend a full system and fuel module. Crisp fuelling, power and sound.
If however, you enjoy track days, full systems can be problematic with noise limits. In which case the flexibility of a slip-on of your choice which can be easily swapped with the OEM silencer can be a very sensible option.

see i would go the other way, there's no need for every last bit of power and crispness on the road. For the road i would just get a slip on and keep the oe cat and fueling (easier for mots too). for track you get the chance to use more power so a full system and remap would be best suited. my full akro system gets through all uk track days. my track gen 1 is full system and bazzaz and im in the market for just a slipon for my 17, probably a sc project.

Last edited:
see i would go the other way, there's no need for every last bit of power and crispness on the road. For the road i would just get a slip on and keep the oe cat and fueling (easier for mots too). for track you get the chance to use more power so a full system and remap would be best suited. my full akro system gets through all uk track days. my track gen 1 is full system and bazzaz and im in the market for just a slipon for my 17, probably a sc project.

Re MoT?s as long as the silencer doesn?t have words to the effect of ?not for road use? the exhaust will pass an MoT. Motorcycles are not emissions tested therefore there is no legal requirement for a catalytic converter.

That being said, I agree on the road power is not the concern (far from it).
However, optimal fuelling (via a fuel module) is always of benefit to bike and rider.

The problem with full systems on track re power, is that if you require a baffle to pass noise limits, there can sometimes be greater power losses then if you were to run the OEM headers and a less restrictive silencer * (or at least in my experiences this has been the case)
* Though with the greater restrictions imposed by Euro 4, this may no longer be the case

Last edited:
I will be using the bmw purely for road riding.my only interest in changing the exhaust is for the look as the original is not my cup of tea.

I will be using the bmw purely for road riding.my only interest in changing the exhaust is for the look as the original is not my cup of tea.

At the end of the day exhausts, as with so many mods, are a personal choice.
Full systems and tuning certainly represent considerably greater cost, time and effort then slip-ons, which if for purely aesthetic reasons might not be worthwhile.

I have an Akrapovic Evolution full system on my Gen 3, this is the first full system I have owned and it is without doubt the single best mod I?ve made to the bike.
I?ve always wanted one and for me the sound makes me grin every time I go for a ride.
Although full systems are more hassle, for me personally, I think it is worthwhile and so whilst we can legally fit them in the UK I intend to have a full system on future bikes.

Best of luck with your decision [emoji4]

Last edited:

Imo just get a slip on can to start with as its a new bike to you. See how you get on and you can always sell on the end can, recoup a big chunk of the cost, and upgrade to a full system if you decide to spend the additional money. There is not much wrong with the original system apart from the huge end can (although i think if it was powder coated black it would look good).

If it is, understandably, the look of 2017 cat, ilemberger are now offering a full bellypan in carbon that hides the cat. In conjunction with a slip-on that certainly would clean up the look.
Details on the bellypan here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ilmberge...404559?hash=item41d241d74f:g:ZB8AAOSwO7hZ-fYk
Definitely looks better, but @ ?580 to partly deal with the ?problem? (in addition to the suggested slip on) , I would be leaning towards a full system on a 17 bike as suggested by @Oli.

a full system would look nice but you still need to deal with the space at the end of the fairing where the cat was. looks odd in road trim in that area without the cat.

Did this with mine (15/16, I believe it fits the 17 also) It keeps the butterfly for static noise testing then I used an AR V2 with or without baffle for fly-bys Total cost ?200 mapped at over 200bhp
GetFileAttachment

Put full exhaust system on
Put it on dyno
Get a rapid bike
Performance parts. 👍

Last edited:
Back