Owners

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swty

Reaction score
Hi guys looking to buy an s1000 around March.
Will be asking lots of questions but from what I have been told so far looking like it will be a pre reg 17 for me.
But I have looked at these bikes for a long time now and one thing hat worries me is they seem to have a lot of owners even low mileage examples,is there a reason for this?

Imo if a bike is not old/high mileage and has had a lot of owners discount it and look elsewhere. There is usually an underlying reason why the bike gets swapped so often.

I dont recall seeing many, if any, bikes with lots of previous owners. I suggest you post links to any you find that you might be interested in?

Not seen any yet like I say will probably go new or pre reg but I saw a few bikes on autotrader with 6k and four owners and thought it a bit strange

Not seen any yet like I say will probably go new or pre reg but I saw a few bikes on autotrader with 6k and four owners and thought it a bit strange

Could be a whole number of reasons which no one will really know..I know that my previous 2010 s1000rr had 3 owners and apparently "5k" miles. Turns out it was clocked and god knows how many miles it had actually done.

This is what I was thinking either clocked or reliability issues or bike just not up to the hype.i have ruled out the later two theories after looking through the site 😉

Clocking is quite difficult afaik. The odometer has to be matched to the ecu which only a dealer is supposed to be able to do, and with the necessary paperwork. Stand to be corrected....

Yeah I also heard it's very hard to do too. Bike was clearly clocked though as MOT didn't match speedo and actually went down! I'll post link if I can remember the REG.

on my gsxr750 I had a flat battery before I took it for MOT didn't even notice clock had reverted to kph, consequently on next MOT milage was lower,
is it the same on the s1krr with a flat/disconnected battery?
cheers
Mut

Yeah good point dealer will be previous owner.something I hadn?t thought about.

Mileage

Clocking is quite difficult afaik. The odometer has to be matched to the ecu which only a dealer is supposed to be able to do, and with the necessary paperwork. Stand to be corrected....

Clocking is virtually impossible to do on BMWs nowadays. The ECU and dash must be matched and it can only be done by a BMW dealership who will connect the bike to their factory diagnostic system. If the ECU detects an unmatched dash the display will repeatedly flash until the problem is rectified. Irregularities in mileage will much more likely be caused by filling in paperwork like MOT certificates incorrectly and/or recording the mileage in kilometres rather than miles if the owner/dealer changed the readout.

Also remember if you buy a pre-reg 17 or an older pre-reg there will be another keeper, the BMW dealer.

Yeah, when I got mine in September I'm technically the second owner. Not fussed personally (esp. since I got a fully kitted bike for less than the standard non Sport), but I took a picture of the clocks the day I bought it incase I ever sell it and for some reason someone argues that I don't know it's full history. It had 2 miles on it.

pre reg isnt bad idea mine was a pre reg plus 1 and after deep researching i got in touch with the selling dealership and lucky for me the salesmen who sold the bike answered the phone and he confidently told me its a safe buy as the previous owner is friend and regular purchaser of the mottorad.

My best advice is if your not buying from a mottorad try and see if you can get in touch with them the ususal sign is the number plate with dealer details.

In terms of owners and mileage my bike was only owned for couple of months by the previous gentlemen, most people sell after the summer riding season

Good luck

Yeah, when I got mine in September I'm technically the second owner. Not fussed personally (esp. since I got a fully kitted bike for less than the standard non Sport), but I took a picture of the clocks the day I bought it incase I ever sell it and for some reason someone argues that I don't know it's full history. It had 2 miles on it.

Hi mate do you still own the bike?

In my experience buying a low mileage ex demo bike saves thousands and no-one either notices or gives a monkeys that there's been 2 owners when it comes to selling or trading it in

Back