New to the S1000RR- Buy 2018 or wait for the update??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stickicky

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Go easy, I'm new on here. Im looking at moving from the F800GS to the S1000RR. (Big step I know). I'm getting a good deal on the current new bike. Should I take the leap now or wait until the next gen release?

Hey r25sti. Thats what i am leaning towards too. Just wondering if people thought it would be a dumb move considering the raft of changes due to come on the next model.

Welcome to the forum, I agree, go for the current model, it's a big step up from where you are and is an incredible bit of kit, I hope you have got a good deal lined up as there are some very keen prices around on new and ex demo Sthous

Yea, Ill be quite careful at the beginning but you have to start somewhere. It is a good deal, so I reckon thats the way forward. Going to wait until Jan to place the order.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I have moved your thread to the welcome section :).

It will be quite a long wait for the new gen bike, life is short, get a great deal on the gen 3 bike and enjoy. I wouldnt worry about the step up from the 800, the bike will only go as fast as you want it to (hopefully lol).

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with all of the above.
I would recommend looking for a good deal on a 17 model Gen 3 and enjoy the bike now.

It is a considerable change going to a super bike, but the S1000RR is a remarkably accessible and well rounded bike. There really are no ?quirks? to riding one, and once you get used to the riding position I?m sure you?ll feel confident with the bike.

Where are you based?

Enjoy the forum, there?s a fantastic community on here and loads of information.
Best of luck finding your ideal S1K and may you have many happy miles ahead of you [emoji4]

Oli

Hi Stick, welcome to the site. As has been said life to short to wait for the next 'new' thing. If you did that you wouldn't buy anything, as in a few years time next years bike will have been improved and do you buy or wait on that one too?

Enjoy your bike whatever you do and don't worry about the jump from your 800, I had never even ridden a Sportsbike until 2012 and bought a S1000RR after being loaned on for the weekend. In many ways it is easier to ride than some other bikes due to the onboard tech. and electronics at your disposal.

Good luck for your future purchase and thanks for joining us.

JimmyMac

Hi guys. Thanks for the feedback. I?m near Bournemouth. I reckon it will be a new S1krr sport in the red and black scheme. Can?t wait now I?ve made up my mind. Roll on January.

Hi Stickiky, I agree with the others, these bikes are utterly fantastic and actually very rideable. Suggest you take a trip over to CW Motorcycle in Dorchester, last time I was there they had a few new ones in stock. Great dealership always friendly and ready to help.

Enjoy

Chris

You can always trade in for the next gen later, the depreciation on BMW's is pretty good compared to the competition once the initial showroom tax is paid.
Taking a pre-reg'd 16-17 spec would be the way to win that game.

Cheers for the feedback. I'll be going to for a new 2018. I was thinking of that or a Ducati V4 originally but figure the S1000RR is a better all round bike as I'll be commuting on it. Either would be intimidating to begin with though.

The S1K isn't at all intimidating you just need to be respectful of its potency and mindful of your licence if you whack the throttle open. A Pani V4 wouldn't be a good choice for day to day riding, they need tlc..

The S1K isn't at all intimidating you just need to be respectful of its potency and mindful of your licence if you whack the throttle open. A Pani V4 wouldn't be a good choice for day to day riding, they need tlc..
+1

I figured the Pani V4 would be more of a toy than a day to day machine alright. Out of curiosity who on here commutes or puts reasonable miles on their S1KRR's? I'll be looking at about 200 miles a week or so.

To be honest I'm new to commuting on a bike (Last year only) as the F800 was always an offload toy/general weekend bike. Since i've started commuting on the bike (F800) I'm loving my drive to/from work. Im thinking the S1KRR will make it even more enjoyable.

Back