fitting renthal grips on a 17 with heated grips.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r25sti

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
few pictures as i was doing it. the 17 is different from my 15 plate as in the throttle dosnt have the wires on the 17 but a printed type board. the l/h and r/h both come off the same, just lightly score with a blade and pull the old rubber away. on the throttle side there are a few little barbs sticking out that i nibbed off with a dremel, the throttle side i have just glued the new grip on with grip glue but the clutch side i have covered the fine heating wires with silicone to stop them from moving as i slide on the new grip. i will let the silicone go off over night before fitting the new grip.

04p5s7O.jpg

QWHgnjL.jpg

eTyBEhA.jpg

EgrOalg.jpg

stGzjHa.jpg

EiCN8VC.jpg

5NVjYjW.jpg

Last edited:
Are the heated grips working fine after this? Do you find these grips better to hold than stock? Thanks!

Are the heated grips working fine after this? Do you find these grips better to hold than stock? Thanks!

yes working well. i changed the grips as i found the stock ones too narrow. i like a slightly chunkier grippy'er grip. :) just to add, you will need 2 x sets of grips as the diameter of the inner parts are virtually the same and new grips come 1 x narrow and 1 x wide.

Last edited:
Thank you for letting me know. I was actually finding the OEMs a bit too ?malnourished? myself and wanted to swap for something beefier. Do you mind sharing the part number of the ones you?re using so I can order without going wrong. And why would I need 2 sets of grips? Didn?t quite get you on the last one, sorry!

Per pack you get two different sized grips. You actually need two same sized. Hence buying 2 packs.

- Alex

these are the ones i used off ebay. eBay item number:122211280191. your see what i mean about 2 sets when you start the job. :) i also used rethal grip glue to make sure there on right. on the side with the wires as i said i used a silicone sealant to hold the wires in place before fitting the grips. you need to let this set before fitting the grips. if you dont do this then the wires could push up and snap as your fitting the new grips.

Thanks for this , I was starting to worry it would be a headache after searching online but you have reassured me.
Peter

This is the post I was after and exactly what I need to do... I like the look of them grips R25 what make are they and what was the inner wrap stuff you covered the elements in, does that not affect the heating or impede the grips ie size/fitting..

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

there the renthal dual carbon and you need 2 sets as your only use the one out of each set. I used sikaflex to cover the elements to stop them ripping off as there very fine.. only the clutch side needs doing on gen 3 as the throttle has a circuit board type thing. i just put a light covering over the element, just enough to glue them in place then let it dry over night before fitting grips. i then use grip glue to fit the new grips. as the grip are thicker they dont get quite as hot as quick as they did but do work plenty well enough. ive got 2 sets ready sat in garage for the gen 4 too. :)

What diameter am I buying some are stating different diameters and I need to buy two sets?

Last edited:
What diameter am I buying some are stating different diameters and I need to buy two sets?

the diameters are the outer size. they do a thicker and narrower outer. depends on how you want them. ive gone 32mm and they feel quite a bit chunker. oe is about 30mm

Your grips have came off amazingly "Clean" with little or no rubber left on the plastic, mine have been a nightmare to get off, the weight end is really scruffy with me having to take little skliffs of rubber off at a time, I found it very difficult to differentiate rubber from the plastic part of the throttle tube at the weight end, it may be that the gen two had different adhesive used, and/or clearly has been on for longer, the grip was worn so smooth that it was like a spent cock when I got it off..

So I've hit two snags, the above and now I see there is a part of the throttle mount that requires a recess in the grip to seat properly.. I can't see that on yours, I may have to cut that flush or the grip won't sit correctly.. I will only get one chance at sliding this on with the masking tape in situ..
376f4019f1c499f08f3b7b4d8db561d7.jpg
a4a30ebfe866116c25ed01f77b361c69.jpg
087c6006fa3d768b5caeb9204f87c485.jpg

022913df6d3b8cc7837be916b3ceed52.jpg

Last edited:
Well a tale of two halves... that looks like a black fellows cock after banging a skank
06dceb72685c42f87091479ec299a276.jpg
1bc736f6554d29f20283f05dc8398515.jpg
b3c820c04421b4236e864be49a916c1b.jpg

00c03714ca993edf36f93c7a38fd7c42.jpg

Last edited:
Haha.. I couldnt face trying to fit the new ones, that's a tomorrow job.. the masing tape brings back memories of regripping my golf clubs !

i used a dremel to tidy up the raised areas and covered the elements with silicone sikaflex and let it set so new grips dont push wires. think i dremeled out a few little bits to allow for the raised areas but not 100% nessesary.

Latest posts

Back