Fitness

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplejimmy

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone does over the winter to keep the winter "jacket" off?

I have just got back into MTB after about 14 years off the scene and loving it. I am also quite into the gym and follow strongman a lot. I competed for the first time as an under 90kg not long ago and loved it.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

I have been off exercise for several months with various age related injuries but hoping to get back into it in the coming weeks, just deciding on which gym to join. I feel the cold really badly if I cycle so tend to go running in winter. Gym will be strength training and core work. I am looking forward to getting the buzz again as I used to be a gym monkey.

I?m hoping to start training again soon too. Need to shed some serious poundage lol!
I enjoy indoor rowing, walking and strength training.

I find I enjoy riding more when being in reasonable shape as not only does it make it easier to move around on the bike, but I also find I can ride for longer before fatigue sets in

As an old git, I generally work on just bike related areas. Legs/quads and core strength. If you ride the bike properly it mainly rides you.

Indoor rower, it seems to tick most of the boxes in one hit. A bit of static cycling (so so boring) and now struggling with some tiny weights and the dreaded Plank. To be honest it really makes a difference on the bike. Must develop some stretching exercises too as that has really helped in the past with flexibility.
tbh I hate it all.....but after a certain age it’s a question of sucking it up or buying a GS (shudder)

I find it's much easier to be consistentwith cardio hiding it with more conditioning style routines. I have just got hold of 2 large sand bags and my gym has a decent functional area. It's quite a laugh training when your picking stuff up and moving with it. Feels strangely good.

I was once told losing a kilo was worth 1hp gain on the bike or something like that.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

In my 40's I used to do a lot of sit ups every day, certainly helped with sitting on the bike without putting weight on my wrists. I can ride all day without getting tired but that could be down to my relaxed riding style. :wink-new:

I mix up my 2 wheel commuting, Cycle one day and motorbike the next.
Keeps everything fresh & keeps the weight off. (30 mile round trip).

I've never been into much sport, other than a bit of trials riding, and motocross.

Over the last 6 months I've started jogging, and doing a fair bit of mountain biking, as well as cardio training in the gym, when at work. So far I've lost about 16kg. Aim now is to maintain my weight, and keep up the training.

Being almost the big five-o and a fat git, I think it's fair to say that I'm not big into fitness. I used to be built like a racing snake and could run endlessly in my late teens/early 20's ... although I think that mostly came from exercise running from the coppers during the miners strike with a sack of coal on my back :)

Nowadays I find the whole gym thing intensely boring - I have trouble getting motivated to find my trainers from under the stairs, never mind have to drive/ride to the gym, some 6 miles away. I've considered the rowing machine and may just consider it again as the pounds are getting easier to add and harder to remove, plus if its in the next room, I have fewer excuses not to use it. I've had a few static cycling machines in the past - culminating in a recumbent version to save my back, however the most calories I’ve ever burned on them was either putting them together, or dragging them to the tip.

I'd much rather exercise by achieving something - like splitting wood or washing the van. That way you're actually making your world a bit better as well as burning a few calories. I honestly think that if I had to indoor-row for X mins/hours to charge a battery so I could watch TV at night, I'd manage that - motivation is built in. I'd also save a few pennies on the old 'leccy meter.

Back