Possibly coming back to the fold

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJK

Reaction score
Hello

After owning an S1000RR I?m think of returning to the fold but as a second bike, I traded my last one for a R1200R and I?m really pleased with it however I miss the S1 so my dilemma is do I bite the bullet? I was looking at trading my bike for a new KTM Super Duke GT and test rode one today but not too sure it that much better than what I have obviously mines down on power but it?s far more refined than the KTM so I?ve been thinking keep mine and get an S1 ideally I would like a 2015 on but prices are higher than I want to pay so do I go for a 2012 or 2014 or squeezed a little more from my finances and get a 2015 onwards ? What do you guys think on the different models my previous one was a 2011 so I know the technology has moved on so much... Any advice would be welcome

Thanks

Personally, I would recommend a 15 model (Gen 3), if you can stretch for one, as you?ll certainly appreciate the improvements coming from a Gen 1 bike.

The 2012-2014 models are Gen 2?s, so there are no mechanical or electronic differences between those bikes.

Alternatively, if you prefer a more upright riding position, perhaps you might like to consider test riding a S1000R and/or XR? These might be a better single bike option for you?

Best of luck with your decision [emoji4]

Last edited:
I would be looking at 3rd gen bikes with full dealer service history, low miles. Good time of year to be shopping around. Lind and Alan Jeffries are forum vendors, we have a gentleman’s agreement they will always do their best to look after forum members so might be worth expressing an interest to them and see what they can offer for your budget?

I've owned a gen2 and 3, the gen 3 is worth the extra as I found it more comfortable and crucially it has an autoblipper which once you've experienced is a must have. As Soof says its a good time to buy so push for a good deal. Here's a link to my old bike that's up for sale at a dealers...

http://www.wiganmotorcycles.com/usedbike_detail.php?id=38409

Last edited:
It will be a second bike so will keep my R1200R, the only bike I really fancy would be another S1 as they are totally different to what I own. Thanks Soof I will check them out both my previous bikes have come from Williams but happy to go where there’s a good deal. I agree gen 3 is better but as second bike funds are not as high so will have to assess.

Thanks

MacRR

That seems like a good deal, the only thing is I like the ideal of BMW’s 2year warranty but that deal seems good, what bike do you have now? Hope you don’t mind me asking what made you sell to them rather than BMW?

I traded my bike in for an ex demo black GSXR1000R, excellent guys to deal with and my bike was mint and fault free so will make an excellent buy for someone

What made you go to the GSXR instead of S1?

I traded my bike in for an ex demo black GSXR1000R, excellent guys to deal with and my bike was mint and fault free so will make an excellent buy for someone

Why you sell up?

Well, I fancied a changed and while hanging on for a '19RR was an option I couldn't justify the amount of dollar I'd have needed to stump up versus the miserly ?2.5k its cost me overall to get a 160 mile Gixxer with carbon R11 given the relatively low mileage I'm doing nowadays. The bike I've got has the same spec as my S1K minus the cruise and heated grips (which is a miss) but I prefer the feel the BFF forks give me even if bump management from the shock isn't quite as good as my gen3 (need to get it set up), the engine is incredible and sounds fantastic and I also have a bit more leg room for my aging bones. I remain a 100% fan of the Sthou and enjoy being on here hence why I'm still hanging around if you'll have me! But I'm happy with the choice I've made.

I think the 19 bike will be very good. Bmw needs to up its game to stay ahead of the field and I believe the company has taken the challenge very seriously. Next year should be interesting, I hope :).

Can understand your logic Mac.

I think a lot of us will be looking at the ?19 spec to either cement our ownership future or try something else.

- Sent from Mobile

As long as your happy with your choice Mac that's all that counts... there's some serious competition from the big four japs now.

BM really will need to up their game and look at getting back in front of the Japs. Good choice you made, any pics at all ?.

S

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pic from handover day.... usual initial stuff being done, gay fork reflectors now replaced by dome head probolts and Evotech rad. guard fitted today. Tail tidy, grab rail(!) and Light tech carbon hugger (no std hugger fitted!) going on after Xmas. Then it's a case of riding it and properly sussing it out before anything else.

bikechange.jpg

Very nice that Phil and I'm sure it'll fill a gap until you come back to the fold😊
Seriously though, if you're happy with your choice, that's all that matters, I'm sure it'll do all you ask of it.
And It's good to see that you're still on here too👍

I can only give a first impression as rubbish weather and other commitments mean I've only been out on it once since I got it a couple of weeks ago. But v the S1K overall finish is very good, but probably not quite to the same std, in terms of riding position, the seat's a lot higher - good if you're tallish like me, bars are in a similar position and there's a bit more leg room. Electronics are simple to switch between, mode A gives a snatchy throttle response at low speed, a bit like an R1, B mode seems to be the right choice for road use, traction control is adjusted separately.
The motor has had the balance shafts removed but isn't lumpy and despite some reports the bars, at least on my bike, aren't vibey - similar to a gen 3. The engine has that x factor character, again a bit like an R1, and sounds like a metal band through the Yoshi R11, you can feel its strength immediately, it has that instant, strong low down shove that you'll be familiar with if you've driven something like a 335d, then within the limits of the road I was riding on (and my limits!) goes like hell.
Hard to assess handling at this stage as the road surface was a bit greasy, but the bike feels light and flickable and while it doesn't have the bump management of DDC on std settings it has that fabulous 'feel' you get from quality, passive forks.
It doesn't have cruise or heated grips (fail) and the dash is a bit '80;'s Atari but its got plenty of info and unlike a car you're not forced to look at the thing. So for now that's about it, from all the other bikes I've ridden in the last couple of years it is by far the closest to an S1K in how it goes about it's business which has to be a good thing.

Last edited:
Back