Quadlock review

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oli

Reaction score
Abstract:
It?s great, if you want to mount your phone to your bike, in my opinion this is the case/mounting solution for you.

My set up:
- Ultimate addons fork stem attachment (http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/V...orcycle_Accessories/Fork_Stem_Yoke_Attachment)
- Ultimate addons 3? extension arm (http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/Extenders/3_inch_extender_25mm_ball_attachment)
- Ultimate addons GoPro mounting plate (http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/Adapters/1_inch__25mm_Ball_Flat_Surface_Adapter)
- 3x packets of Sugru Pitch Black (http://www.diy.com/departments/sugru-mouldable-glue-black-pack-of-3/808387_BQ.prd)
- Quadlock bicycle stem mount (https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/products/bike-mount?)
- Quadlock iPhone X case (https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/products/iphone-x-case?)
- Quadlock iPhone Poncho case (https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/products/poncho-iphone-x?)

Review:
Preface - I?ve always mounted phones to my bikes for use as a SatNav (TomTom or Waze) or ride logger (REVER app). Smartphone cameras are so good now, one could even use a setup like this as a ?light? action camera replacement.

Mount:
The first Quadlock mount I purchased was the ?adhesive wall mount?, which on paper looks like the ideal option for use with the above Ultimate addons fork stem setup. However, what I hadn?t appreciated is that there is one so significant difference between the ?life? mounts and the ?activity? mounts. The former have no lock, so whilst you could mount your phone to a wall etc, the slightest rotational knock would result in the phone releasing from the Quadlock mount!
After this issue became apparent, I then purchased the aforementioned bicycle stem mount. The blue collar (see photo) is the locking mechanism, once the phone is secure the blue collar must be depressed in order to release the phone. As the bicycle mount comes with a curved surface, a product such as Sugru is required to fill the gap and suitably secure the mount. As mentioned, I used 3x packets of Sugru to mount the Quadlock mount to the Ultimate addons plate, this is slightly excessive, but I would recommend using a little too much then too little.

In action:
I?ve only used this setup for some short rides as I?ve not been able to ride much lately due to work commitments. However, I can say that this is hands down the best phone mounting solution that I?ve come across. The beauty of this mount is that it is so easy to attach and remove your phone from the bike. I can assure you that this is not a trivial feature, as when on group rides or stopping for lunch etc, it is good practice to remove your phone and quite frankly anything that makes riding that little bit less of a ?faff? is a good thing!
Mounting via the fork stem is an area of minimal vibration (relatively speaking) and the Quadlock locking mechanism seems rock solid, as soon as you hear an audible click there is no free play or the like, giving great confidence that your phone isn?t going anywhere unintentionally!
I would recommend the Quadlock Poncho case, as, whilst it isn?t waterproof (which thankfully for the iPhone 8 and X isn?t an issue), it does provide sturdy screen protection, an important consideration when one considers that a rogue stone flying up at speed could spell disaster for your screen! I used a scalpel to cut out the lightning port region of the Poncho so as to use a charger in conjunction.
The only negative I can say about the Quadlock case, is that the rubber material is hard, and thus particularly slippery in the hand! I think an easy improvement Quadlock could make, is to incorporate a silicone material in contact areas, would make a tremendous difference.

It is essential that you can charge your phone whilst riding, as when running navigation apps etc battery life is considerably reduced. I use the Ultimate addons phone charger, which mounts directly to the battery. I?ve not linked to this charger, as, whilst it works sort of ?ok?, with a switch box so as to not drain the battery when not in use, it certainly isn?t a sexy setup. To that end, I would highly recommend contacting @Stephen for a custom ignition based charger as others on the forum have done (all are wholly satisfied to say the least!). The only reason I have the Ultimate addons setup, is because I had it from my previous bike and installed it long before I was a member of this wonderful forum!

Conclusions:
In my opinion, this Quadlock/Ultimate addons setup is by far and away the best phone mounting solution I?ve used to date. I would whole heartedly recommend these products and I have never had ordering or shipping issues from either company.
It is expensive, and the Quadlock case could certainly be made of a grippier material, but overall this is a superb case and mounting solution for motorcyclists and cyclists alike!

Oli

1219837871e4fe718813083750d6dcc7.jpg
7b6a056c5717d316bc7a431e4e536c5e.jpg

Take it this what you spoke about earlier Soof..looks a solid mount..and pretty discrete female recess on your case too.

S

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

They had 30% off this weekend, dont know if it still applies.

Just checked and the 30 % discount is valid until midnight tonight (Sunday 26th November).

Thanks again for the recommendation a little while back Soof, as you can see the case gets the big thumbs up from me too! [emoji4]

Take it this what you spoke about earlier Soof..looks a solid mount..and pretty discrete female recess on your case too.

S

The female recess is remarkably thin/flush Stuart, it doesn?t interfere with daily use at all and is only ?slightly? noticeable when laying on a table

Last edited:
Just checked and the 30 % discount is valid until midnight tonight (Sunday 26th November).

Thanks again for the recommendation a little while back Soof, as you can see the case gets the big thumbs up from me too! [emoji4]

The female recess is remarkably thin/flush Stuart, it doesn?t interfere with daily use at all and is only ?slightly? noticeable when laying on a table
Yea it certainly looks well designed.

Excellent review Oli, just ordered for my cycle, bike & car. Expensive stuff but the discount code helped ease the pain.

Cheers

Excellent review Oli, just ordered for my cycle, bike & car. Expensive stuff but the discount code helped ease the pain.

Cheers

Thank you Rosso, am glad it was helpful [emoji4]

Sounds like you?ve taken full advantage of the Black Friday discount, good man!
Will look forward to hearing your opinion/feedback in due course

Great review Oli, thanks for taking the time to do this. Although I don't use a phone on my HP4 this would make a great solution to my recent BMW SatNav fail on my GSA.

JimmyMac

Great review Oli, thanks for taking the time to do this. Although I don't use a phone on my HP4 this would make a great solution to my recent BMW SatNav fail on my GSA.

JimmyMac

Thank you Jimmy, it?s a pleasure!

Th Quadlock Moto mount would certainly make for a great setup on your GSA, Soof has one on his and likes them too.

That being said, nothing beats your gaffa tape/map setup lol [emoji6] ...

Thank you Jimmy, it’s a pleasure!

Th Quadlock Moto mount would certainly make for a great setup on your GSA, Soof has one on his and likes them too.

That being said, nothing beats your gaffa tape/map setup lol [emoji6] ...

Like Bear Grylls on two wheels Oli, keeping it simple, lol.

JimmyMac

Yes, was meaning to post. Bought it a couple of weeks ago.
Got quadlock in car, on cycle & now RR.
Brilliant piece of kit.

Use it with Waze navigation on every journey, irrespective of if I know the route or not.
Know in advance of speed restrictions, accidents, when I?m going to have to filter & police presence.

Thought it would be a distraction & hence a safety concern , but so far, that?s not been the case. It?s also useful for checking the speed limit on a particular stretch of road if you missed the sign ( yeah, I know, poor obs).

At steady speeds, the speed limit on Waze is more accurate than the speedo too, useful when setting cruise in average speed zones.

Hmm maybe I will move to Waze... With London speed limits changing every 10seconds its hard to keep up with!

- Alex

Waze is excellent, the only thing I wish they would implement is offline maps to save on data usage etc

- Oli

Waze is excellent, the only thing I wish they would implement is offline maps to save on data usage etc

- Oli
@Oli, mobile data usage is becoming cheaper for the provider. Not sure which network you are on, but if you call them & politely discuss that you are exploring other options because of data restrictions, you may be surprised about the outcome.
I managed 1gb to 10gb & a price reduction with unlimited calls for circa ?15/month with EE.
I regularly maxed the 1G, but use Waze daily ( and other educational adult websites...) & have never got close to 10gb.
Data is never an issue, battery life without a usb supply usually is.
You have an iPhone X, so water ingress is not an issue either.
I use mine in portrait, rather than landscape to see more of the road ahead.

Back