Anyone with -1/+2?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix

Reaction score
I believe this is the setup I'm on about, Anyone used and liked it?

Believe I'm currently on +1/+1

Cheers

Re: Anyone with +1/+2?

on my track bike i run +2 on the rear and the difference is a lot on acceleration out of the corners. I may try it with -1 on the front next year but the +2 made a big difference.

Last edited:

I have -1+1 at the moment but want to go for a +2 i think

Big jump is the -1 on front which is equivalent to +3 on rear (as near as damn it) if you go much more it makes it a wheelie machine. Up is not forward....

Gearing

Sprockets are relatively cheap and rear sprockets are also easy and quick to fit. Just buy it and experiment; but note that the 2015+ S1000RR prefers a longer wheelbase for stability and as already mentioned a wheeling bike is a handful and a detriment to forward momentum.

Cheers, Just bought a 16/47 setup will be here tomorrow.

Re: Sprockets

If you decide to fit your own sprockets then you will find this information regarding torque settings useful...

https://s1000rrforum.co.uk/showthread.php?8173-Torque

As an added note, on the hp4 rear carrier the sprocket fixing is in effect a nut and bolt which needs access to both sides so cannot be changed while in situ. With the carrier in hand as opposed to in the wheel, torqueing it up and +90deg is fecking impossible lol

Just so you all know, changing the sprocket size does absolutely nothing for acceleration on these bikes. In fact, it's easily argued that it actually makes the bike slower.

Unless you're coming off of your slowest turn under 7,000rpm in 1st gear, or hitting fuel cut in 6th, gearing will do nothing for you.

It's all in your head.

Mathematics disagree. You ?can? accelerate faster.

But most use the change to adjust which gear you are in for a given corner.
I run -1 Front.
I can avoid 1st at most tracks. Which in my head I prefer.
I haven?t quite hit the limiter in 6th even though top speed is lower.
4-6 are flat out and maths says its accelerating faster through them.
I do agree that acceleration in 1-3 is down to rider skill more than gearing. Keeping the front down.

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
There is nothing rider skill can do about it. In gears 1-3, there is nothing you can do to make the bike any quicker, besides aerodynamic or suspension changes.

More power, more aggressive gearing, none of it will do anything. The bike already has more power than it can use. In fact the argument can be made that the changes you made actually made the bike slower to accelerate. You increased torque to the pavement, which increases the bike's tendency to lift. As well all know traction control doesn't take only what it has to, it overreacts, takes too much, then gives it back, etc.

As for accelerating faster through 4-6, the sprocket changes will overall make a negligible difference in torque to the pavement at those gears, and you'll have to click to 5th quicker, at which time until 5th has matured the OE bike is putting more torque down.

The changes you made are all in your head. Sure if it was a Honda Civic or Ninja 250 they'd do wonders, but this bike has more power than the chassis can handle.

In the US we have Top Fuel drag cars. With 5,000hp and a normal car weight. Would you believe me if I told you adding 2,000hp would actually slow them down? They already spin the tires down the entire length of the quarter mile. What they need is more traction.

A rider can change weight distribution actively.

Suspension kinematics / geometry can be changed.

And in Europe we don?t give a hoot about traffic light races... its about corner exit and rpm mid corner.

- Sent from Mobile

A rider can change weight distribution actively.

Suspension kinematics / geometry can be changed.

And in Europe we don’t give a hoot about traffic light races... its about corner exit and rpm mid corner.

- Sent from Mobile

:eagerness: +, we don't ride on the 'pavement' :joyous:

I ran -1 +2 in Almeria a couple of months back and the bike DID feel very different, id describe it as snatchy... however, it did have an impact on my gear change locations, thankfully to my advantage - 3rd was more 'useable'.

Hope that helps

Back