Another mare.....

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMORTAL_Indian

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
After last night's episode, i have decided to leave the maintenance to the experts....

At my 12k service - Binding front pads that BMW put down to not stock pads... so ordered new Brembo pads.

1st side - perfect..
2nd side - below front brake lever and was cleaning the caliper and pistons etc.... when pushing the piston back, it went back in soooooo easily, the adjacent piston popped out and I lost some fluid....

however, after my tears dried up i tried to re-house the piston back into the pot.... but with my computer delicate fingers, it would not.... It looks completely square on but I cannot get the bugger in....

3 things....

1. Anyone free to help fit it back? (Carshalton, SURREY)
2. Do I have to be careful or order some new parts (or just DOT4 brake fluid)
3. Will bleeding the system bring it back to normal....

HELP PLEASE

This is why I pay somebody else to do it! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...
Sorry, I’d offer to come round and help but it would be tea and biscuits duty. But, how come the 12k service provider, having flagged the issue up, didn’t resolve it? Hope you sort it IM, I’d pay a trusted mobile mechanic to come bail me out. If you need somebody nearby let me know and I’ll hook you up!

Not popped a caliper piston back in. So would be guessing. A wide flat pad spreader would be of use to ease it in.

- Sent from Mobile

Have you tried it with the bleed nipple open to give the air somewhere to escape to?
I put new seals on a zzr once and they were a tight fit, used a bit of brake fluid as lube to help ease them in.
make sure the others don't pop out whilst doing it though.

Would it help if you took the top of the res ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your mishap, but it should go back in. You will definitely need to let the pressure off - either unscrew the bleed nipple or undo the line from the caliper. You might use a piece of wood to get some leverage to push it back in.

Last edited:
Just to say that the notion that your brakes are binding due to the pads not being stock is bollocks. How much is left on the existing pads? enough to clean up and keep on the bike? If you give the calipers a good clean to get everything working correctly then you should not have any binding. If that turns out to be the case you could get your new brembos refunded and spend the money on something else?

After last night's episode, i have decided to leave the maintenance to the experts....

At my 12k service - Binding front pads that BMW put down to not stock pads... so ordered new Brembo pads.

1st side - perfect..
2nd side - below front brake lever and was cleaning the caliper and pistons etc.... when pushing the piston back, it went back in soooooo easily, the adjacent piston popped out and I lost some fluid....

however, after my tears dried up i tried to re-house the piston back into the pot.... but with my computer delicate fingers, it would not.... It looks completely square on but I cannot get the bugger in....

3 things....

1. Anyone free to help fit it back? (Carshalton, SURREY)
2. Do I have to be careful or order some new parts (or just DOT4 brake fluid)
3. Will bleeding the system bring it back to normal....

HELP PLEASE

You will need brake piston grease, else you?ll run a chance of damaging the seals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to Hellrazer (John) for sorting me out.... piston just not sitting square on... after that went in a treat (with the nipple open and the reservoir cap off too). Clean Dot 4 and bleed..... no bus and tube tomorrow (yay)....

844c5a734c89ecdbb19e35edc10de20d.jpg

Thanks to Hellrazer (John) for sorting me out.... piston just not sitting square on... after that went in a treat (with the nipple open and the reservoir cap off too). Clean Dot 4 and bleed..... no bus and tube tomorrow (yay)....

Well done guys, shows the power of this forum, brings together friends you have not met yet.

JimmyMac

Well done guys, shows the power of this forum, brings together friends you have not met yet. JimmyMac

Ha Ha... I have known this fella for years.... I have to blame him for me buying MY16... it was after a 10 mile pillion on his '15 that i decided "I MUST HAVE ONE"

As for the state of the pads, the binding side are nearly worn through and the others look fine.... When I go into Bahnstormer in a few weeks time for some warranty work, I will see what they say....

FYI... they still seem to be binding and not as free flowing as I expect... so will take the pads along and mention this to them... PIC of the pads to follow this evening.

Glad you got it sorted Amit, is that Hellrazer John's garage? he has a load of gear hanging on the wall..

As for the state of the pads, the binding side are nearly worn through and the others look fine.... When I go into Bahnstormer in a few weeks time for some warranty work, I will see what they say....

FYI... they still seem to be binding and not as free flowing as I expect... so will take the pads along and mention this to them... PIC of the pads to follow this evening.

Any binding has to do with the pistons and has nothing to do with the pads.

Did you give the pistons a good clean with a toothbrush & soapy water before pushing in?

Last edited:
Had binding on my gen 1 after 2yrs. Pistons out, full clean, fresh fluid, within a week it was back. Fitted new piston and seal kit, hey presto, job done.

Back