Any old strokers out there

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Picked up Classic Motorcycle Mechanics here was a cracking article on tuning an LC125.. lo and behold the author was no other than the man himself...Stan Stephens.. i thought he was dead lol
743e9cfabbea15c50b5f1624a06ae62f.jpg
ca0ae9295c50927dc80586ce5cd95b68.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Stan Stephens - legend! Passed my test on a 125LC, then graduated to a 350LC both brilliant bikes, always wanted a Stephens tune but never had the cash, then when I did I bought a GPz900R...

Legend right enough mac funnily enough I thought some of the lads on here would reply you jumped into my head lol.. im much the same as you as far as buying a tuning kit for my X7 but never had the money, I struggled to put petrol in it after I paid my ?30 a month bank loan. His adverts for a typical kit included sending your barrels down for .5mil over bore they sent back with oversize pistons and rings, gasket kit and new reed valves. Them were the days.

I'd love a 70's 2 stroke to fettle in the garage, alas I've missed the boat, they're all either long since scrapped or way beyond my budget or sense of value. Many an hour spent in my youth stripping down, polishing ports, lapping heads, de-coking and finely tuning with claw hammer and a pair of stilsons. Adding an extra base gasket to raise the exhaust port was a hot tip. Another was to sand the head gasket to raise the compression. I'd estimate that all my efforts probably yielded somewhere between a 10% to a 90% loss in hp!
Stan Stephens is a legend, he had his shop within striking distance of a Saturday ride on my fizzy, alas, I never had the $$$ to ask for his help, so always rode at the back of the pack with a tool box strapped to the pillion. Happy days!

Lol. Really laughed at the "loss of power" bit Zx... yup I was in there too...decoking and cleaning the rough edges of the transfer ports. I read a story about a guy that came across a barn find...X7 with 8 miles on the clock from new it was then 36 years old...thats what I call a find. I really hope one day I'm as lucky...

S

Last edited:
Back