Blood snot and seeds!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Been out late this afternoon with a group of mates for a run out to Scarborough and then on to a bike meet at Warley Cross Cafe. On the way from Scarborough to the cafe via a steep hill called Staxton Hill, we came across a pheasant walking along the other side of the carriage way. I was leading the group at the legal speed limit (obviously) when the bloody thing decided to do what they all do on these occasions, namely to take off
and pretend to be a suicide pilot. It flew straight into my path, probably thinking that I was a battle ship. Anyway I swerved a bit, not much though, because I was still (obviously) travelling at the legal speed limit. I ducked down and waited for the impact! It hit me on my right upper arm, and disappeared somewhere to my right side. I have to tell you that the impact had to be felt to be believed! It knocked my hand off the bar and my arm was flailing behind me! Oh and the sudden pain, just like I'd been kicked!
I stopped a bit further up the road to check for damage to the bike etc. I was so lucky that it hit my arm and not the bike! It had glanced off my O/S mirror head, turning it in slightly, before killing itself on my arm. It exploded on impact spreading blood and snot all over the fuel tank, I found loads of feathers stuck between the bottom edge of the tank and the infill panel below. It must have split open its crop because there was what appeared to be grain seeds between the fuel tank and the seat. There was even some grain sticking to the inside of the screen.
I can only guess what damage the bike would have sustained had it hit the bike and not me. I was also so lucky too that it hit my arm and not my crash helmet. God only knows what the outcome of that would have been!

I think that road must be the pheasant equivalent of the clifton suspension bridge ... i've taken a few avian lives on that road, luckily always whilst I'm in the car.

Glad to hear you saved it, and hopefully are not too hurt. Gladder to hear the bike survived though ;)

Gotta admit to noticing a bit of irony given your forum nick :)

i got hit by one in my "early yrs" i was on an ae 80 and minding my own business .it hit my handbar and had me off and sliding down the road. bloody thing walked off after as well

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I must say Freudian, it had escaped me, me being roadrunner:biggrin-new:
Yes, beabag just about sums it up I guess Jimmy:concern: I thought the whole idea of a suicide pilot was to explode on the target Stuart:stupid:

And yes pof, they are so bloody dangerous. I still can't get over how hard the impact was! I've got a heavily bruised right, upper arm to prove how hard it hit! I've tried Googling the weight of a full grown male pheasant to see just how heavy it could have been and it seems it could have weighed anywhere between 2lb and 6lb, depending on type. I think this one must have been a special breed as it felt like it weighed about 20lb to me:confusion:

Seriously though, thats the one and only time I've actualy hit one, though I've had plenty of near misses in the past. I can honestly say that I NEVER want to hit another one EVER!
If it had hit the bike, it would have demolished it without a doubt.
So all things considered, I think had a very, very lucky escape!

Lad died on an R1 approximately 5 years ago on the back road from Inverary to Tyndrum, a Pheasnt flew out and smashed into his face...he was going hard at the time so you could imagine the impact....total loss of control.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pleased your ok RR, always amazed me how racers at Philip Island always seem to shrug off seagull hits, they're bloody big and heavy too.

a few years ago three of us got overtaken on the Stokesley to Helmsley road by a bloke on a sportsbike with a young child on the back. He was going silly fast. A minute later we caught him parked up on the side of the road with his boy passsenger covered in blood. A phesant had flown out and took out the pillion. We left after the ambulance arrived, i think the boy was ok.

There for the grace of god......A few years ago on the IOM, 5 of us took the back road from Sulby straight up to the bungalow. Doing silly speeds between two fields and a sheep ran across between us, was our lucky day........

Well I'm back again just over a year since my last post!
I did it again folks, but this time I won😊
Traveling from Wetwang to Hull late yesterday afternoon, I had just overtaken a car and again, obviously at no more than the legal speed limit, when to my horror I spotted another rather large pheasant strolling across the road, from my left to the right.
I absolutely froze, not knowing what to do, knowing just how unpredictable they are! I waited for the inevitable take off and subsequent, which bloody way is it going to fly?
When to my surprise it strolled straight under my front wheel.
I felt a slight bump at the front that's all. Glancing in my mirrors it looked like I'd cut open a feather filled pillow 😳
God knows what the car driver thought!
When I got home, the only evidence of my brush with danger was a solitary feather blowing around on my drive and another lodged in the gap between the bottom fairing panel and the one above, near the n/s front indicator.
I'm pleased to report no blood snot and seeds this time and thankfully no damage either. I hope there's not a third time, as it might not finish up with such a happy ending. I mean for me of course and not the bird😀

What I have learnt when you have time especially in 30s with any birds is to give them a beep of the horn this normally makes them move. Obviously at speeds when they run out you don't have time. In Suffolk we have lots and I have two near misses in two weeks .

What I have learnt when you have time especially in 30s with any birds is to give them a beep of the horn.

When you read that short extract in the Activity Stream, you don't realise you're coming to a story about pheasants, I thought that was going to be joke about how filthy girls get as they age.... "She's flirty turned thirty, ain't that the age a girl gets really dirty?" :)

Well I'm back again just over a year since my last post!
I did it again folks, but this time I won😊
Traveling from Wetwang to Hull late yesterday afternoon, I had just overtaken a car and again, obviously at no more than the legal speed limit, when to my horror I spotted another rather large pheasant strolling across the road, from my left to the right.
I absolutely froze, not knowing what to do, knowing just how unpredictable they are! I waited for the inevitable take off and subsequent, which bloody way is it going to fly?
When to my surprise it strolled straight under my front wheel.
I felt a slight bump at the front that's all. Glancing in my mirrors it looked like I'd cut open a feather filled pillow 😳
God knows what the car driver thought!
When I got home, the only evidence of my brush with danger was a solitary feather blowing around on my drive and another lodged in the gap between the bottom fairing panel and the one above, near the n/s front indicator.
I'm pleased to report no blood snot and seeds this time and thankfully no damage either. I hope there's not a third time, as it might not finish up with such a happy ending. I mean for me of course and not the bird😀

Chick magnet

I hit a pigeon once on the way to a bike meet on my old Fazer thou. Flew out of a hedge to my left and didn?t have time to do anything. I was going about 70mph on a dual lane section of the A130 before the navy roundabout. It hit my mirror and head as I tried to duck. Thought I had got away with it as I hardly felt anything and the bike only wobbled. Nothing serious.
Filled up with petrol and paid with my helmet on as always. The poor woman and others around me looked at me in horror. I assumed it was the usual biker with a helmet issues at gas stations.
Turned up at the group meet to see the same look on everyone?s face?
Looked in my mirror and realised that the pigeon had hit my mirror and exploded! Covering me from the shoulders up and chin in pigeon gizzards! I looked like I?d murdered someone!

I was not popular to sit with at the coffee stops on that ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit a Large pheasant that ran across the road in front of me, didnt bother trying to avoid it and accelerated towards it. When I stopped 20 mins later I didnt see any guts but the smell of cooking pheasant wasn't pleasant.

Back