Gen3 blipper not working

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Alex. Would I be right in thinking that normal operation means one click soon after the lever starts to move and one click as the lever nears the grip, and then another 2 clicks as one lets out the lever? H

Yes 2 clicks in each direction

Bingo [emoji3]
It sometimes doesn?t do the second click when returning to ?rest?. That?ll explain the intermittent problems I had yesterday.
Squirt of oil or WD40, or should I do a proper job? [emoji848]
I suppose it could be a combo of gunk and a lack of tension in the mechanism.
I?ve changed levers before but not entirely sure how the tensioning works.
I never get to tinker, really need a garage... ☹️

Misspelt by my iPhone

The clutch lever free play looks excessive in your photographs. The details on how you set it are in your manual. The free play is then taken up by a small spring in the external clutch mechanism. It could be faulty.

as said your cold free play should be about 1mm. the switches can fail even if you hear 2 clicks both ways. i had this happen and switch was replaced under warranty. there about ?45 to buy.

Re: Shift Assist & Auto Blipper

With the engine off pull the clutch lever in and then release it slowly. You should hear two audible clicks as you release the lever. If not then you most likely have an issue with the clutch microswitches which will cause the Shift Assist and Auto Blipper to malfunction. If you can hear the clicks and you are still having problems it is most likely that the adaptive values need to be reset.

Performing a reset is simple. Just put the bike on paddock stands; disconnect and reconnect the battery; turn the bike on and run through each gear selecting each one for over 10 seconds.

If you ever disconnect the battery do you have to reset or does it remember gear settings ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Shift Assist & Auto Blipper

If you ever disconnect the battery do you have to reset or does it remember gear settings ?

You do not ?have? to reset the shifter after disconnecting the battery, only if you wanted to reset the adaptive values.

If you disconnect the battery though, user settings are reset to the factory default, i.e. DDC, User Mode, Dash settings etc

This may seem like a silly question, but how noticeable should the auto blip be when changing down the box? Certainly on the road using 4k to 10K rev range clutch less down shifts are smooth but I don't notice a blip in engine revs.
From memory even on track I've never noticed a definitive rise in revs on the down change.
The only issue I've ever had on quick shift up or down is if i don't release gear lever fully between changes.

Afternoon Gents.
Fixed the problem with a squirt of WD40 at the lever which now sits back in the proper position every time. Probably got gunked up as, despite regular cleaning, I've been out in bad weather a lot recently. Thanks for everyone's input. Hugh

This may seem like a silly question, but how noticeable should the auto blip be when changing down the box? Certainly on the road using 4k to 10K rev range clutch less down shifts are smooth but I don't notice a blip in engine revs.
From memory even on track I've never noticed a definitive rise in revs on the down change.
The only issue I've ever had on quick shift up or down is if i don't release gear lever fully between changes.

Surprised this hasn?t been answered yet.

No such thing as silly questions [emoji846]
Generally the blips become more prominent the higher up the rpm range you are.

I would imagine your bike is blipping correctly if the down shifts are consistently smooth, it might simply be the case that the Euro 4 exhaust is a tad quiet to really notice the blips?

If you have any doubts though, you could always do a reset by disconcerting/reconnecting the battery and running the bike through each gear for at least 10 seconds using the clutch for shifting.
It?s also important to ensure you?re not inadvertently activating the micro switch on the clutch lever (resting finger on the clutch)

Last edited:
Surprised this hasn?t been answered yet.

No such thing as silly questions [emoji846]
Generally the blips become more prominent the higher up the rpm range you are.

I would imagine your bike is blipping correctly if the down shifts are consistently smooth, it might simply be the case that the Euro 4 exhaust is a tad quiet to really notice the blips?

If you have any doubts though, you could always do a reset by disconcerting/reconnecting the battery and running the bike through each gear for at least 10 seconds using the clutch for shifting.
It?s also important to ensure you?re not inadvertently activating the micro switch on the clutch lever (resting finger on the clutch)

Cheers Oli was starting to feel I had made a fool of myself, with the polite silence.

I did reset just to see if it had an effect and no difference.So I think it?s working as I event tried some ham fisted down changes on slippery side roads which were nice and smooth.
I recon it?s me as I?ve found making sure you leave clutch and throttle alone at the right time goes against all the years of ingrained conventional blipping and gear changes!

Cheers Oli was starting to feel I had made a fool of myself, with the polite silence.

I did reset just to see if it had an effect and no difference.So I think it?s working as I event tried some ham fisted down changes on slippery side roads which were nice and smooth.
I recon it?s me as I?ve found making sure you leave clutch and throttle alone at the right time goes against all the years of ingrained conventional blipping and gear changes!

Not even slightly [emoji846]

If the blipping wasn?t happening then it would be an unsympathetic downshift to say the least lol.
For proper auto-blip down shifts though, it is essential that you?re not touching the clutch and that the throttle is 100 % closed throughout.
Just think, open for up, closed for down and hand nowhere near the leaver lol!

Last edited:
Not even slightly [emoji846]

If the blipping wasn?t happening then it would be an unsympathetic downshift to say the least lol.
For proper auto-blip down shifts though, it is essential that you?re not touching the clutch and that the throttle is 100 % closed throughout.
Just think, open for up, closed for down and hand nowhere near the leaver lol!

Spirited ride today after an observer run and my blipper works a treat!

Back