Gen3 blipper not working

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smemly

Reaction score
All,

I need to pick the collective knowledge of the forum re the quickshift/blipper on the gen (2015.)

I'm currently out at Jerez and mine is not working. It's on within the settings on the dash & i've tried switching it off /on.

Is there a reset mechanism for it?

Cheers

Lee

I'm only chipping in as you're stuck in paradise (rain/work here). Hopefully somebody will come along and give you expert advice!
However, I understand that the qs/blipper can lose calibration. This could be rectified by running the bike in each gear for 10 seconds and changing manually between. Worth a go, costs nothing, may help. Good luck and hope you get back on track asap

Errrr yes i have.. After a little off at Snetterton a few months ago ( other side) i swapped out the clutch and brake levers for Alpha.

What have i missed???

Is the quicksilver shifting up?

If so it rules out the swtch.

You can test the switch by trying to start it in gear with the clutch in, side stand up should start.

Then try start it in gear with the clutch out, side stand up, put it on a padock stand (be careful if not it may lurch forward), it should not try spin the motor if it does your switch on the clutch is not closing.

1. BLIP in the menu is Best Lap In Progress - this is a display setting.
2. Recalibrate. On a secure paddock stand run the bike in each gear for no less than 10secs per gear.
3. The blip only works with the throttle shut. Slam it and Pin it shut to test.

- Sent from Mobile

Silly question, but does the clutch lever you have fitted have the actuator arm for a 15+ bike? To test function take the bike for a short run and see if you can switch cruise control on. If you can the switch is fine. If not carefully remove the clutch lever and check the microswitch levers. They should be straight. If they are bent you can straighten them by hand. Then carefully refit the lever - best to do this at eye level so you can see what the actuator lever is doing. Good luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, you've given me some things to try this morning.

Currently neither quickshift or blipper work.

Actuator arm was fitted, i can hear the microswitch click when i pull the lever in but i will double check before i run it up on the stand.

Should the microswitch be open or closed when the lever is out?

So, on arrival this morning, i put the bike in gear and tried to start it with the clutch out and it tried to fire... mmmm

Looking at the micro switch connections, there is just enough play in the alpha lever to stop the switch fully engaging. It looks like there's some adjustment there but for now the standard lever has been refitted and the switch is correctly doing it's thing.

I'll try it up and down the car park in a sec to see if it works.

Virtual beer credits for all your help guys.... much appreciated

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, you've given me some things to try this morning.

Currently neither quickshift or blipper work.

Actuator arm was fitted, i can hear the microswitch click when i pull the lever in but i will double check before i run it up on the stand.

Should the microswitch be open or closed when the lever is out?

The 15+ bikes have 2 microswitches, one on top of the other. Both are closed when the clutch is out. The lower switch opens just after the cable slack is taken up. It turns off the cruise control and I think turns off the gear assist pro. The top microswitch opens when the lever is almost all the way back to the grip. This permits starting in gear. If you have an aftermarket clutch lever you need to be careful in adjusting the span as too little span can stop the second switch opening. I hope that this makes sense!

Shift Assist & Auto Blipper

With the engine off pull the clutch lever in and then release it slowly. You should hear two audible clicks as you release the lever. If not then you most likely have an issue with the clutch microswitches which will cause the Shift Assist and Auto Blipper to malfunction. If you can hear the clicks and you are still having problems it is most likely that the adaptive values need to be reset.

Performing a reset is simple. Just put the bike on paddock stands; disconnect and reconnect the battery; turn the bike on and run through each gear selecting each one for over 10 seconds.

alpha Racing Clutch Lever

...Looking at the micro switch connections, there is just enough play in the alpha lever to stop the switch fully engaging.

If your alpha Racing clutch lever is fitted correctly you shouldn't have any issues at all.

So, it ended up being the clutch switch causing the issue. Even with the standard lever refitted, it was hit and miss whether the quickshifter / blipper would work.

A cable tie round the bloody thing locking it closed sorted it on the last day.

Microswitches

It sounds very much like you may have bent one or more of the microswitches when fitting your clutch lever. It's easily done as they are fragile.

Reset

It's simply part of the process for resetting the Shift Assist module provided by BMW.

2017 Shift Assistant Pro

Afternoon Gents.
The Quickshifter and Blipper on my 2017 RR is playing up (Shift Assistant Pro, I believe it is sold as). Before I take the excellent advice in this thread, it occurred to me that the clutch lever has a slight gap when left to engage by itself, see pic. Is this enough to mess with the system?
Cheers, Hugh
Photo 04-01-2018, 12 04 20.jpg

Only if you can't hear TWO distinct clicks on pulling the clutch lever could you have an issue with that.

Back