RapidBike Race - Mapped by HM Racing

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Admin
Reaction score
So here's a quick write up on my S1000RR mapping experience with HM Racing and the RapidBike Race.

Lets start with the RapidBike Race. Bought from Liam at Performance Parts Ltd, the UK Distributor. You can get the same discount if you are a Premier Member and ask me for the code, specially agreed between PPL and the S1000RR Forum. My unit came with a map which at somepoint I think was Jay's.

The RapidBike is has a solid, quality, metal case surrounding the electronics which in the Race version allow for timing control. Something I really wanted to look into. The loom is as good as the Bazzaz I had previously. By all accounts fitment was straight-forward, with just the one wire tap, for the TPS (everything else was plug intercepts). The control unit end of the loom has;
- Connection for the optional quickshifter sensor (black 3 pin connector)
- Connection for the optional handlebar switchmap (black 2 pin connector)
- Connection for the CAN Bus interface (white 3 pin connector)
- Connection for the USB interface (white 4 pin connector) (USB cable supplied).

As with every other additional fuel controller you need to find spare space in the tail section, mine was stuck to the plastic inside but it's become instantly unstuck so I'll be looking to secure that better to the frame. I say frame as she's getting converted to track this month...so I need to make sure it's perma-mounted somewhere track and road fairing friendly.

The mapping started with a base run pre-install. Tony (HM's Dyno Guru) said, before a wheel turned that the only other '17 he'd tested had run just 171RWHP (Rear Wheel Horse Power) :eek: ...but that was with a stock system. I'd heard when I got my '12 tuned that the 15/16's had taken a power hit and so I am not surprised that the Euro4 output is down too.

With mine strapped the dyno, Akra Stainless (baffle in) and Sprint P08 filter in place. It made a rounded 181/83 rwhp/lbft. That could mean the Akra alone released 10hp...I expect mine was never as low as 171 though.

Now the work began, I nipped to the cafe to let Tony get on without me rabbiting on incessantly whilst trying to fit the RapidBike. By the time I returned the mapping had begun.

The process took a good 2-3hours, making changes, testing, refining. It was HM's and Tony's first RapidBike installation and there were nuances of the RapidBike system to understand.

Long and the short the results were 194.5/88 rwhp/lbft, a good uplift. There was uplift across the rev range. There's a substantial uplift in torque across the rev range and a power increase which grows rpm by rpm, in a smooth yet unrelenting surge. Tony seemed a bit deflated by it all though, we'd not got near the 200HP mark he'd gotten 15/16's to (including bananaman's). Here's a few dyno sheets...

IMG_8223.JPG

The drop a 11,250 to 11,750 is normal, it's caused by the trumpet length change.

IMG_8229.jpg

These traces are my tune at different throttle positions. The point of this is that no one uses their throttle digitally. It's not on or off so these part throttle maps are very important/more important than full throttle.

IMG_8228.jpg

Just to show how the 2015/16 seems to have more potential :/ Although mine seems to have freakish torque at 7000rpm :D I think that's b-man's exhaust...

Some related musings;
* A map is a series of cells on a grid, which tell the injectors to add a little more or less fuel. The 'resolution' is the number of cells (rows vs columns). A good system has more load cells, so that you can specifically tune around the nuances of the OEM map.
** The maximum resolution of the RapidBike system is 320cells (40rpm rows x 8 TPS columns).
** The other options are 35x9, 30x10 and 30x8

* The other key to a good system is how it interpolates between cells. I.E you can have +5 in the 10% TPS x 4000rpm cell and +10 in the 10%x5000rpm at 4500rpm the maths should smooth it to 7.5% etc.
** This interpolating is hidden from the mapper so you can only hope it's doing it. It's also optional on the RapidBike - selected via the 'Average Cells' check box. I don't know why you wouldn't have it on though!

* Ignition Mapping - Tony found 0.5->1.5 degrees of ignition could be added, once the fueling was sorted, from 9000rpm onwards, @ full throttle.

* The RapidBike map has the capability to add fuel on the over-run (engine braking). This is some thing I was happy to see added as I think the '17 has too much engine braking on track as standard. Does take some getting used to on the first ride though!

I have only really managed the very wet trip home since leaving HM Racing and it was mainly 30mph zones. Frustrating but that's how it goes. I've no doubt it pulls like a train. There are some incredible pops and bangs, and a new 'bomb' that goes off on the over run. Release the throttle, crackle, pop then 2 seconds later booom, throat clearing at its finest :D

Tony, also did the following bits of maintenance.
Oil and Filter
Brembo LCF600 Plus Brake Fluid Flush
Brembo SC Pad Fit - considering the fluid reservoir was on minimum I expected the OEM pads to be pretty thin but actually there was about 1.5mm left.
Renthal 16T Front
Renthal 45T Rear
Renthal S4 SRS Chain

Very happy with my time at HM. Their labour rates are ?55+vat per hour. They do a specific full track/race inspection for ?320-360+vat +parts.
All the team are a pleasure to deal with, though you need to respect its a workshop and there are boundaries.
The cafe round the corner does a mean bacon and egg bap too.

I've now a week to convert her to track ready for Almeria in October.

Last edited:
There is a small hiccup, which I think is a calibration nuance that needs to be fettled. It won't affect the track usage its getting in Oct/Nov so no biggie.

There's a slight wierdness at minimal, constant, throttle. Don't know if any of the other RapidBike Race users have had the same...

Test conditions:
30mph.
Flat road.
3rd gear or 4th.

To maintain this speed requires minimal throttle according to the datalog (see pic) 15% grip pos and 4.3-4.7% actual throttle.

Static throttle.JPG

Behaviour: If I stay at speed for 5 seconds or more the bike can drop into a mild shunting hesitation. In my opinion it's either the closed loop (hunting for the right AFR mix) using the Lambda's. Or an issue with the TPS at this smaller opening. What I have noticed is; TPS voltages are set from .64v to 4.38v in the calibration. When idling, having returned froma ride to get her warm, the TPS voltage readout was showing 0.61v.
I am wondering, if I change the minimum voltage on the TPS to 0.61, I will change the behaviour.
Could the other RB runners let me know their calibrated minimum/maximum values please?
Just want to check before I fiddle.

tpsvolt.JPG

Ta in advance.

Last edited:
Have u calibrated the throttle
Jay

*I* haven't but the voltages are spot on cold, so they appear to change with temp. I am curious how your voltages are set (as TPS's should be the same). And if when warm you see a lower closed throttle voltage than cold/off.

great write up again alex. do you or hm know why the 17 is a little diwn on power compared to the 15/16? yes i can see the euro crap causing it but once off , that doesnt come in play

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

great write up again alex. do you or hm know why the 17 is a little diwn on power compared to the 15/16? yes i can see the euro crap causing it but once off , that doesnt come in play

In short, no. Its interesting as Soof followed me at Snetterton on his HP4 and said mine was galloping out of the corners. So there's no real issue with the way they make power, or my eagerness to ask for it!

The clutch cover being a different shape to allow for more sound deadening is about the only thing visually different. You'd think the cams, valves or something was different though for sure.

TBH my '12 made 194 with the Bazzaz so I'm happy to be back to where things were, and in reality the additional area under the curve for the torque is probably the most useful thing.

Power Differences

do you or hm know why the 17 is a little diwn on power compared to the 15/16? yes i can see the euro crap causing it but once off , that doesnt come in play

From some very informed BMW paddock sources there were a few slight revisions to some homologated engine internals for 2017. The changes were only very minor and were made to aid reliability of their race engines. This resulted in a small decrease in power for models purchased directly off the showroom floor and has nothing to do with Euro 4 regulations.

Behaviour: If I stay at speed for 5 seconds or more the bike can drop into a mild shunting hesitation

I get that going down pit lane :emmersed:

My mate had that due to IAT sensor after running on track. Didn’t happen on road . As u coming into pits the engine red hot and would be over heating the sensor maybe ???
He did relocation and never had prob since and as it happens I’m doing this mod as soon as Stephen ready with loom extension.

Was tongue in cheek, meant pit lane limiter lol

Pit lane limiter is great fun.
My bike has been stripped ready for track apparel to be fitted.
I'll test the TPS voltage when I get to Almeria - got 4.5 days to tinker.

Jay if you've got the mail addy for DimSport I'd appreciate having it so I can contact them should I need to.

I discovered it sounds much better the higher you go. I think mines at 7 or 8 k. Not much use in a pit ����

@corkgsxr and @jay s1000rr
Could you show me your RB Features -> Pick-up Signal settings, Correction Pump and Engine Braking please. Mainly the pickup as at point 3.7.5 of the manual it says that can be a cause of poor start behaviour and sudden ignition cuts.

At Almeria, it didn't start well cold and I had a bizarre ignition cut at 12k+ rpm but not at the limit as far as I know. So I'd like to see your settings here as from the manual it could be key to both.

So here's a quick write up on my S1000RR mapping experience with HM Racing and the RapidBike Race....

What was the AFR target in low/mid/high RPMs?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll connect it in the morning and get the bits.

Iv to change mine to race shift to match the sv650 so I don't mess my head up swapping

Back