Result of Motorcycle Dyno & ECU flash

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steadynow

Reaction score
Quick one.

After the full Akra system and db killer addition. Hill Top flashed the ECU and i've got ... 188 bhp at the rear wheel @ 88 lb'ft

happy with that! not bad for 47k engine? maybe that is close to 200+bhp at the crank?

the tune only gained me 8bhp at the top end but over 13 lb'ft Torque and removed the lumps and bumps. lovely to ride.

not bad for ?360.

Have the dyno chart if anyone wants to see but can't get the pic uploading working anymore.

Re: Hill Top Motorcycle Dyno & ECU flash

Premier Members can post up...worth the small fee alone ;)

I'd certainly like to see the before and after. These gains seem quite strong at the top end but either way I expect the midrange change is making most difference.

- Sent from Mobile

i'm only a lowly standard member so i guess i'll have to describe the graph through the medium of expressive dance ;)

Yes, a lovely fat mid range. Low end much better too.. Geoff said it would have hit 195/200bhp at the wheel with the DB killer removed... that's great... but completely un-rideable.

has fresh oil / filter and K&N air. plugs are 15k old

That's a heck of a fuel add...was very lean (15:1) before hand!
I'll be interested to compare mine tomorrow.
Can you send me all the data, pictures, to [email protected]?

yep! the new exhaust just blew the ass out of the AF ratio.

pics on the twitter account mate. help yourself :)

You at Hill top tomorrow or somewhere else?

Yeah, somewhere else. The forum and HT do not see eye to eye on freedom of speech. So whilst I am glad you are happy I wouldn't go there.

I'm trying out the RapidBike Race w/ HM Racing.

- Sent from Mobile

Impressive gains on a well used engine, two great points.

I'll post up what my 66 plate did at Hilltop soon, I know the peak only increased from 190 to 194 however it was an insane amount of mid-range. As well as improvements to TC and the rider modes too. I took it back at the tail end of June.

These dyno printouts are always a 100% WOT run in a tall-ish gear like 5th. So they can't show part throttle.

Most tuners of NA engines aim for between 12-13:1 for best power.
13:2 would be 6.5:1 that's insane. No good would come of it. Unless you were looking to wash the engine in a pool of fuel.
I'd be interested to know if they can tune the part throttle cruise to 14.7:1 to 15.5:1 for best MPG, with the ecu maps.

I stole this from the internet as I broadly agree with it.

What does Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR) mean?
AFR is the mass ratio of air to fuel in an internal combustion engine. The AFR is an important measure for performance-tuning reasons. If exactly enough air is provided to completely burn all of the fuel, the ratio is known as the stoichiometric mixture which is defined as an 14.6 AFR ratio. The lower the AFR the richer the mixture. The higher the AFR the leaner the mixture.

• 6 AFR - Rich Burn Limit (engine fully warm)
  • 9 AFR - Black Smoke | Low Power
  • 11.5 AFR - Best Rich Torque at Wide Open Throttle (WOT)
  • 12.2 AFR - Safe Best Power at Wide Open Throttle (WOT)
  • 13.3 AFR - Lean Best Torque
  • 14.6 AFR - Stoichimometirc Air/Fuel Ratio Value (Stoich)
  • 15.5 AFR - Lean Cruise
  • 16.5 AFR - Usual Best Economy
  • 18 AFR - Carbureted Lean Burn Limit
  • 22+ AFR - EEC / EFI Lean Burn Limit

[h=1]Recommended AFR Values for Naturally Aspirated 4 Stroke Engines[/h] IDLE / LIGHT CRUISE: 13.5 AFR
When you start your vehicle we refer to this as being in IDLE condition. When you shift into gear and drive at a low mph we refer to this as being a LIGHT CRUISE driving condition. With 14.6 being the industry standard stoich AFR value, we typically like to see these conditions run slightly richer. We are looking to fine tune an engine to get the smoothest operation.

CRUISING: 14 AFR
Most of the time you are driving your vehicle you will be within the state of CRUISING. This condition is the most wide open for customer preference based on two factors. If you prefer better GAS MILEAGE then run a leaner mixture. Most stock to slightly modified engines will run just fine at an AFR of 15 and yield better MPG. If you prefer better PERFORMANCE then we suggest to run an AFR of 14 or even richer to around 13.

WIDE OPEN THROTTLE: 12.5 AFR
Driving full out within a gear will bring you into a WIDE OPEN THROTTLE driving condition. This condition is where the peak horsepower value is obtained. We typcially like to run a richer AFR here to get the best performance. Best performance for most vehicles is in the 12.5 to 13 AFR range. Going too rich will have the opposite affect and decrease your performance.

ACCELERATION: 12 AFR
Getting up to cruising speed or getting ready to pass someone, you usually are looking for the performance to get up and go. We refer to any fast turn of the throttle as being in an ACCELERATION driving condition. Again, we typcially like to run a richer AFR here to get the best performance. Best performance for most vehicles is around 12 AFR. Going too rich will cause a sluggish roll-on to get up to speed.

What site did u go buddy ?? Check my tuning mod . It’s there to perfect the 13.2 we seek
Why do fueler s , mappers and dyno guys hunt for 13.2 ?

Jay

Where you see 13.2 it should really be 13.2:1
13.2:1
13.2 = amount
:1 = colon 1 denotes a ratio
It's ALWAYS ":1" in AFR terms.

All good.

13-12:1 is pretty much all the right ball park when you're not racing.
Richer (lower first number) is generally safer as there's a bit more fuel to cool things down, as daft as that may seem. I can see that Rich's traces tail off in the the 12's so it's making good power without risk. He will have to trust that it's the same for 70-90% throttle too.

I'd be interested to see how far you get per tank of fuel now!

Impressive gains on a well used engine, two great points.

I'll post up what my 66 plate did at Hilltop soon, I know the peak only increased from 190 to 194 however it was an insane amount of mid-range. As well as improvements to TC and the rider modes too. I took it back at the tail end of June.

Stock engine, Akrapovic HP End Can + MWR R+R Air Filter

Hilltop_S1000RR_2016_Dyno1.jpg
Hilltop_S1000RR_2016_Dyno2.jpg
Hilltop_S1000RR_2016_Dyno3.jpg
Hilltop_S1000RR_2016_Dyno4.jpg

Attachments

• Hilltop_Faraday_Dyno_Cage_S1000RR.jpg
    Hilltop_Faraday_Dyno_Cage_S1000RR.jpg
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
interesting! your plots look very similar to mine. with the old double dip at 6.5k

192 max. is that pre or post Flashed ECU?

great stuff

interesting! your plots look very similar to mine. with the old double dip at 6.5k

192 max. is that pre or post Flashed ECU?

great stuff

Pink / Red is before & the blue is after.
Thought it incredible to note the performance differences in the mid range to before and after the remap. Ive had multiple comments riding around Hampshire from two HP4's & a gen 3 on the noticeable difference from second gear onwards.

Personally after having a Bazzaz on a previous bike (which used a base run file from Hilltop provided to that dyno company) its better value for money.
In addition Geoff had a hand in developing the Bazzaz Fuel Module prior to the two brothers splitting & going different ways.

Well,I'm no expert but,having had 6 s1000rr's,I have never seen dips like those on any of my bikes(all dyno'd with before and after figures)so I have either been lucky or some of you guys have not been so fortunate!
In fact,as all s1000's are run on a dyno at the factory,I am surprised if they would even pass inspection!

Well,I'm no expert but,having had 6 s1000rr's,I have never seen dips like those on any of my bikes(all dyno'd with before and after figures)so I have either been lucky or some of you guys have not been so fortunate!
In fact,as all s1000's are run on a dyno at the factory,I am surprised if they would even pass inspection!

I believe the drop is due to the handover from the first set of injectors per cylinder to the second set. Shame its a drop possibly due to limitations imposed on BMW by noise / emissions!
I have seen this on other dyno graphs and would appreciate if people could compare other remaps to understand differences.

i have a dip also after a custom map and pc5
45e743340a046229ebb4faf4f801e552.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back