Small number plates..

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got 7x5 and never had a single problem.
Until I get a fine I'll always keep this size.

When I bought my Ninja the seller had a full size plate but with a single line of about 20mm lettering, it looked terrible and even more illegal than a 7x5!

I've just fitted am Evotech tail tidy and it would be a crime to fit a standard plate.. so 7x5 it was.. never had a rear as sexy as this since I was 16 yrs old ����

I was previously rocking a 5x2 and only got stopped 4 times.

Lol.

i had a 7x5 and got pulled and handed a lovely ?100 on the spot fine so changed it for a 8x6 and haven't had a problem since.

I run a small plate and haven't had a problem, I think it depends more on the area you live in.

But saying that I'm ready to be stopped and told off if need be.

I?m running a slightly smaller than std plate, I find keeping with the std shape and only being slightly smaller the chances of being pulled or even noticed is slim.

It improves the rear end despite it being only slightly smaller, I?d never entertain plates that are either much smaller but keeping with the same shape or the ones that are the same shape as car plates, that?s just asking for trouble.

Yes, the shape of the plate is dictated by the law - however the size [of the plate] is not - it is the font, letter size and margin that is important [not the plate size] - so get a private reg with less letters and you can legally reduce the plate size (and maybe reduce font size/spacing slightly). Having less letters also makes it look less suspicious as it tricks the eye a little too.

(all thoughts above my own - welcome to critique!)

Last edited:
Bike plate has to be at least 9x7", full size letters and numbers with correct spacing but trimmed to less than 9x7" still illegal.

Yes, the shape of the plate is dictated by the law - however the size [of the plate] is not - it is the font, letter size and margin that is important [not the plate size] - so get a private reg with less letters and you can legally reduce the plate size (and maybe reduce font size/spacing slightly). Having less letters also makes it look less suspicious as it tricks the eye a little too.

(all thoughts above my own - welcome to critique!)

Wrong! It's fewer characters, not less!

Bike plate has to be at least 9x7", full size letters and numbers with correct spacing but trimmed to less than 9x7" still illegal.

Perhaps you can tell us where exactly this requirement is stated in the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 (or any other legislation for that matter)?

So for arguments sake, a single character can be legal on a plate that is 64mm letter height plus 11mm top and bottom, 86mm total height? For two rows its 64x2 etc.?

Indeed spacing/char size is all that is mentioned.
1421edbbd6c0678414b39a5413382b05.jpg

- Alex

Last edited:
Your reference just confirms what I said - there is no specific legislation about the size of the plate only font spec and spacing etc. ...

Indeed, I was not aware of the above and always thought there was a minimum plate size.
Just thought I would search for something official to confirm one way or the other [emoji846]

- Oli

Back