Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Small number plates..

  1. #31
    Standard Member cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    South
    Riding
    S1000RR 2016 Black
    Posts
    14
    Thanked: 2

    Re: Small number plates..

    Yes, the shape of the plate is dictated by the law - however the size [of the plate] is not - it is the font, letter size and margin that is important [not the plate size] - so get a private reg with less letters and you can legally reduce the plate size (and maybe reduce font size/spacing slightly). Having less letters also makes it look less suspicious as it tricks the eye a little too.

    (all thoughts above my own - welcome to critique!)
    Last edited by cristo; 9th October 2018 at 11:54 AM. Reason: minor edit

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to cristo For This Useful Post:


  3. #32
    1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER MacRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Rutland
    Riding
    GSXR1000R
    Posts
    2,038
    Thanked: 649

    Re: Small number plates..

    Bike plate has to be at least 9x7", full size letters and numbers with correct spacing but trimmed to less than 9x7" still illegal.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to MacRR For This Useful Post:

    Oli

  5. #33
    2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER andyf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Reading
    Riding
    2015 Motorsport
    Posts
    281
    Thanked: 87

    Re: Small number plates..

    Quote Originally Posted by cristo View Post
    Yes, the shape of the plate is dictated by the law - however the size [of the plate] is not - it is the font, letter size and margin that is important [not the plate size] - so get a private reg with less letters and you can legally reduce the plate size (and maybe reduce font size/spacing slightly). Having less letters also makes it look less suspicious as it tricks the eye a little too.

    (all thoughts above my own - welcome to critique!)
    Wrong! It's fewer characters, not less!

    Quote Originally Posted by MacRR View Post
    Bike plate has to be at least 9x7", full size letters and numbers with correct spacing but trimmed to less than 9x7" still illegal.
    Perhaps you can tell us where exactly this requirement is stated in the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 (or any other legislation for that matter)?

  6. #34
    Forum Moderator Oli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Essex, Dunmow, Flitch Green
    Riding
    2015 Motorsports
    Posts
    2,120
    Thanked: 828

    Re: Small number plates..

    Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    Wrong! It's fewer characters, not less!



    Perhaps you can tell us where exactly this requirement is stated in the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 (or any other legislation for that matter)?
    Page 10 of the attached document states all UK motorcycle number plate requirements

    https://assets.publishing.service.go...tes-inf104.pdf


    - Oli

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Oli For This Useful Post:


  8. #35
    Forum Admin soofsayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    York
    Posts
    5,514
    Thanked: 1834

    Re: Small number plates..

    So for arguments sake, a single character can be legal on a plate that is 64mm letter height plus 11mm top and bottom, 86mm total height? For two rows its 64x2 etc.?

  9. #36
    LIFETIME FORUM MEMBER stuartb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dumbarton, Scotland
    Riding
    HP4 carbon 2013
    Posts
    4,752
    Thanked: 1414

    Re: Small number plates..

    I'll settle this.......

    Take plate off..discard.

    Nee naw.

    Don't stop for Police..


    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  10. #37
    Standard Member cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    South
    Riding
    S1000RR 2016 Black
    Posts
    14
    Thanked: 2

    Re: Small number plates..

    Quote Originally Posted by Oli View Post
    Page 10 of the attached document states all UK motorcycle number plate requirements

    https://assets.publishing.service.go...tes-inf104.pdf


    - Oli
    Your reference just confirms what I said - there is no specific legislation about the size of the plate only font spec and spacing etc.

    AndyF, although it pains me to say this you are absolutely correct; Fewer characters.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to cristo For This Useful Post:


  12. #38
    1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER Gaz93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    19
    Thanked: 0

    Re: Small number plates..

    well said.. not many would have the balls though including me

  13. #39
    Forum Moderator alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London and Norfolk
    Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey
    Posts
    6,681
    Thanked: 2019

    Re: Small number plates..

    Indeed spacing/char size is all that is mentioned.


    - Alex
    Last edited by alex; 12th October 2018 at 09:52 AM.

  14. #40
    Forum Moderator Oli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Essex, Dunmow, Flitch Green
    Riding
    2015 Motorsports
    Posts
    2,120
    Thanked: 828

    Re: Small number plates..

    Quote Originally Posted by cristo View Post
    Your reference just confirms what I said - there is no specific legislation about the size of the plate only font spec and spacing etc. ...
    Indeed, I was not aware of the above and always thought there was a minimum plate size.
    Just thought I would search for something official to confirm one way or the other


    - Oli

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •