Summary of best slicks, prices, PSI from Sept Performance Bikes - Dunlop D212 wins

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallmanA

Reaction score
Summary from this month's Performance Bike slick tyre test, led by Chris Walker (ex-BSB) and PB's John McCoy at the National Circuit at Rockingham. Tyres and prices supplied by Rea Racing in Lancashire on 01254 825551 Facebook page here. Best tyre in the test in the riders' view is the Dunlop GP Racer D212.

TYREFRONT COSTREAR COSTFRONT PRESSURE (WARMERS)REAR PRESSURE (WARMERS)SCORE OUT OF 100 BEST LAP
Dunlop GP Racer D212 Slick (Mediums)?130?17534 psi23 psi901:14.47
Michelin Power Slick EVO?133?17130 psi28 psi851:15.07
Continental Track Slick (Medium)?118?16731 psi26 psi831:14.09
Pirelli Diabolo Superbike Slick?133?17130 psi28 psi851:13.57
Metzeler Racetec RR Slick K2?142?20036 psi26 psi761:13.82

Can anyone give me a first hand comparasion between the racer and the pro (dunlop 212s)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I use the GP 211 treaded on my Gixxer. Love them. 212 doesn't come in a 180

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PB Slick Tyre Test

I read that article with interest but noted that they didn't include the Bridgestone V02 and were also testing the SC3 compound Pirelli which hardly anyone ever uses. What surprised me most was that they also ran the Racetec RR K2 front tyre outside of Metzeler's own recommended pressure ranges. Unsurprisingly they then commented that using a lower front pressure would have been more beneficial! The tyre supplier really should have known better. Other than that it's good to read a track tyre article for a change as most tyre tests are more road biased.

I've been racing on michelin for 2 year and those pressures seem way too high to me. Although they're the experts so they will be right

Track Tyre Pressures

Having looked at the tyre pressures they do seem somewhat at odds with the manufacturer recommended track pressures. It's not a great advert for the tyre supplier who has clearly performed a rather inconsistent job.

Yeah I thought the same. I'm racing on the metz and running 32 27 which seems to work. Would depend on what bike it was tested on also I suppose. The beemer tends to obliterate k2 rears when its warm. My only gripe with the metz is the lack of compounds compared tot he SC

Metzeler Racetec RR

I also use Metzeler and normally run hot pressures of 32F and 27/26R which are well within the recommended pressure ranges. I definitely agree and would certainly like to see a more varied choice of race compounds in addition to the K1 and K2.

Metzeler Racetec RR

I'm using both front and rear K1 and K2 compounds depending on track temperature.

I couldn't get the k2 rear to work at all. Tried k2 on a cold day at cadwell and a warm at at Donny and both times killed them

Can anyone give me a first hand comparison between the racer and the pro (dunlop 212s)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I can tell you about the non slick version. The "Pro" version is a race tyre, while the "Racer" is a trackday tyre. As for feeling and traction "Pro" is by far superior.

I've been racing on michelin for 2 year and those pressures seem way too high to me. Although they're the experts so they will be right

A guy was on them yesterday, he was telling me he was in contact with a Michelin Technician through the website and was sending him pictures of the tyre through the day. The Michelin tech had him lower the rear to 22 psi hot by the end.

- Sent from Mobile

I've tried the 212racers slicks at Aragon Caldwell and oulton and at every track the rear chewed up within 3 to 4 sessions, I tried all sorts of different pressures but nothing stopped them. However The 212 go pro treaded tyre is brilliant, the wear rate is superb and they grip really well. But as said the Bridgestone vo2s haven't been added into the test and they are in my opinion the tyre to go for over the dunlops. They have excellent grip and wear and are a really good price. After using them i wouldn't buy a Dunlop over them.

Metzeler Racetec RR

I couldn't get the k2 rear to work at all. Tried k2 on a cold day at cadwell and a warm at at Donny and both times killed them

To get better wear from the Racetec RR rears I had to change my riding style. I've found that I get better wear rates if I'm smoother and more progressive with the throttle. I'm normally quite abrupt with the throttle on corner exit but by being smoother I extended tyre life. The other benefit was that I could actually apply the throttle much earlier than normal after apexing and make better advantage of the superb grip that they offer. It ultimately led to faster lap times. What I have noticed about the rear Metzeler race tyres is if you are too aggressive with the throttle tyre life reduces significantly and more so than other brands.

Since becoming a lot smoother I've been able to use both the K1 and K2 rear compounds in hot and cold conditions respectively. I have always been able to use the K2 but since reviewing a lot of data over the winter, and making a very conscious effort to change my riding style, my K2 wear rates have drastically improved.

I'm sure that I would get better wear rates if I changed tyre brands but I'm really happy with the feel and grip of the Metzelers so I am reluctant to change.

Lap Times

Every track I've been to this year I've managed to lap within the 110% qualifying time limit for SSTK so it's been pretty successful and well worth the effort.

You're racing sstk1000?

What you doing round cadwell then?

I've only been on the bike 4 times this year so going to have to get me act together at the weekend so its not to embarrassing

Racing

I stopped racing a while ago! I've only visited Cadwell Park once this season and that was back in April. Lap times were a rather pedestrian 1:40s.

Back