Brake pads life expectancy

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevman

Reaction score
Sorry if it's already been discussed. I tried to search but couldn't find satisfactory answer.
What is the front pads life expectancy from new? I bought bike with 7k miles on the clock and they still looks good to me. No track days, just occasional 'spirited' riding.

Also, I assume Brembo SA compound is for a normal road use and SC for track. Correct? If so. what about using SA on the track? Not recommended?

Thanks.

Changed mine around 12,000 miles if I recall correctly. I replaced with the same Brembo ones I took off, BRM 10 AHH was the code. Don't know what compound they are but I'm not on track just the road and they stop me no problem even when I'm ragging it at 59MPH on the back roads.........

JimmyMac

What is the front pads life expectancy from new? I bought bike with 7k miles on the clock and they still looks good to me. No track days, just occasional 'spirited' riding.

Thanks.
Hi Nevman, it all depends on riding style. Mine were changed at 21K a couple of weeks back.

As Phil says it all depends on riding style and how heavily you use the brakes.

Like Jimmy, I also think I changed mine somewhere in the region of ~ 12-15 K miles

Oli

I use SC compound and do some trackdays mixed in with road riding, and they might last one season, maybe 2-3k miles at a push.

I bought my S1000rr with 31k on the clock and changed the pads immediately they were on the BM advised limit I now change them twice a year as I only do track days

Brake Pads

I dread to think how much I've spent on brake pads over the last couple of seasons...

I'm just about to change my oem pads with 8k on the clocks. That's with 2-3 trackdays a year and a trip away. Im going from bembo SC next.

I know it is all down to riding style. I had few bikes and went through some pads already ;)
Just wasn't sure what to expect from bike with 7k miles on the clock, knowing that the previous owner has been riding in a 'spirited manner', but not on the track.
From the answers above it appears that I can expect at least another 5k+ miles, which is great. Unless I manage to do a track day this year, which I am hoping for... :friendly_wink:
Thanks all.

The OE pads lasted around 4k miles with a TD thrown in and could probably have got another five hundred road miles out of them but had a TD coming up. Now running SC pads for the last 1500 miles including a couple of days on track and they seem to be wearing well.

Changed pads just after i got the bike (although looking at them now probably would be ok) ferodos lasted 12000 miles including a few track days. Got some sbs in now - seem pretty good. Pads seem to have a very thick back plate and less pad material compared to what i'm used to.

Need to order new brembo pads today. Anyone know the cheapest place is it still carpimoto?

Mode Performance

You will probably find Mode Performance the cheapest for Brembo products at the moment given the poor exchange rate.

For reference SC's for non-HP4 brakes are 8.75mm total with a 4.5mm backing plate. So 4.2mm of material.

I've paid around 109 euros incl delivery for 2 pairs, bear in mind they are the m4 calipers, not standard ones.

Back