Metzeler M7RRs - If they're good enough for Rutter at the TT...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallmanA

Reaction score
In the current issue of Performance Bikes, Michael Rutter spanks a standard-trim S1000RR and latest GSX-R1000 around the closed TT circuit. Caveat: Article is sponsored by Metzeler.

Worth a read (Suzuki markedly faster at almost 122mph vs BMW's 118.4mph and wins the test - ) but he's interesting on the tyres. Couple of key quotes:

36psi front and rear (cold)...normally (Metzeler) would go for 42psi rear...they were not pre-heated.

Rutter...delivered all but a 122mph average lap of the TT...ultimately he would have liked more grip: "I have to admit I wasn't totally sure about using them, and I was worried at the first couple of corners. But I needn't have been. They were simply brilliant. The way they would spin up was really progressive, you know, not like grip-grip-grip-slide."

"They're really stable too, and never stopped providing feedback. I was really surprised at how good they were and how good a condition they were in afterwards."

Not sure I've spun up the tyres on the A259 to Petworth. Must try harder.

It was a great read but still not sure the difference is that big between the bikes. By the time he got on the Gixer he'd had considerably more practice track time to get himself up to speed round the TT again. You could tell by how later he was braking in parts. However I am very biased.. lol
It's tuff at the top but for us mere mortals it comes down which bike you wish to look good on and enjoy riding/looking at. As a few tenths round a track or the TT is all the difference is now. It's a great time to love motorcycles. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've touched on this article before, its a good read, the bikes also had the most minor of suspension adjustments too, what it demonstrates is that if you have the riding talent the standard S1K and GSXR with road tyres have more than enough capability to go incredibly fast without any mods.

Back