ear plugs

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie

Reaction score
whats everyones view on ear plugs, i dont wear them because i like to hear the bike, not just to put a smile on my face but because i think its another sense, why muffle hearing what the bikes doing. saying that one of the blokes i ride with is a gp and he's always telling me it will effect my hearing one day. it hasnt so far and i been at it a while now. what's peoples thoughts on this??

It will fook your hearing up at some point I've never worn earplugs and mine are shot. But having said that it's a personal choice and u must accept any consequences that may arise

If I do a long ride I will definitely wear them
There are many types with varying noise cancelling spec , so you can still hear the bike and it's clunking ,
it just takes the edge off the wind noise and shit like that
I know I'm gutted if I stop for fuel and forget to put them back in on a trip too

Never used to wear them but over the last year I have noticed that my ears feel bruised after a long ride. So if it's a short local blast then no but long trip yes. When we went to Assen this year we put headphones on and listened to music all the way and must say it made the 160 miles seem much shorter 8)

I have problems with my balance if I wear earplugs, so I either go without or use my iPod on long journeys, as for hearing the bike, it's not a problem with a full akra system! ;)

Absolutely always!!! Can still hear the bike nicely but they take a lot of the top end out. My hearing gets too much abuse gigging so try to look after it on the bike. Once your hearing's fooked, it's fooked!

I did wear them all time on my Honda,but haven't used as much on the Beemer,I do notice if I don't wear them,so I will be wearing again. You will always hear the engine sound,so it's no problem,also cuts wind noise out totally! Like some have said,once your ears are fucked,you can't repair them!

I'd say wear them always, can still hear what you need to hear, just cuts out a lot of the wind noise etc.

I never ride without them. If I do forget I will stop to put them in. Although I have noticed I ride slower without them in. Also I feel without the wind noise I feel I can here other things better.

Ps. My brother is a ENT consultant, and he told me he has never come across/ treated anyone who had hearing damage from riding a bike. Not sure what that implies.

To godzilla I am the same ride much quicker with ear plugs in also you cant here all the
mechanical noise but still hear everything else.To jamie Ive tried every earplug made I think
the best ones found are MAX LITE by HOWARD LEIGHT colour GREEN they are nice and
soft, if you google them you will find them on the net,you cant get them at the motorcycle
dealers any more. let us know how you get on !!! :) :) :) ;D

AppleT link=topic=1138.msg10458#msg10458 date=1342549909 said:
To godzilla I am the same ride much quicker with ear plugs in also you cant here all the
mechanical noise but still hear everything else.To jamie Ive tried every earplug made I think
the best ones found are MAX LITE by HOWARD LEIGHT colour GREEN they are nice and
soft, if you google them you will find them on the net,you cant get them at the motorcycle
dealers any more. let us know how you get on !!! :) :) :) ;D
I'll give them a go soon as im back on bike, cheers

phil link=topic=1138.msg10464#msg10464 date=1342551418 said:
I had a pair custom made by Ultimate Hearing http://www.ultimateear.com/motorcyclist.php

Ive had them for about 8 years now, fully washable, great fit and not too expensive. I think Ultimate go to most of the Bike shows and main race meetings....

There must be another company nearer to you that could make em.
Cheers for that phil! These look great!

Hey,

It's really simple

Noise damages your ears - irreparably - Maybe not the noise of the exhaust but the wind through your helmet.
Where exposure time is a factor - loudness is also.

Use earplugs or you will suffer from reduced hearing.....fact....this may even be the case if you do use them.

There are videos on the HSE website that will convince you.

Regards
D

Boardsofnorfolk link=topic=1138.msg10465#msg10465 date=1342551488 said:
phil link=topic=1138.msg10464#msg10464 date=1342551418 said:
I had a pair custom made by Ultimate Hearing http://www.ultimateear.com/motorcyclist.php

Ive had them for about 8 years now, fully washable, great fit and not too expensive. I think Ultimate go to most of the Bike shows and main race meetings....

There must be another company nearer to you that could make em.
Cheers for that phil! These look great!
Yep, the 1st pair I had made were fantastic, nice and comfortable and worked a treat. That was until I started chewing, I nearly always chew gum while out on me bike. The chewing action made the plugs loosen and eventually come out of my ears while riding along.
Ultimate were really good, they asked me to visit them and they took another mould but this time went further into my ear (about 6'' ;D). This did the trick, the 2nd pair stay put. They didnt charge for making the 2nd pair.

I always use them, always have in fact. Wind noise without them in (when I've lost one) astounds me - how those who don't can put up with that racket every ride I'll never know!

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

I wear them and can't see how some riders don't. I find the foam ear plugs (35db rating) the best but can't hear my Interphone F5 that well. So I've been using a lower rating ear plugs around 28 db so I can hear music & directions.

It never fails when I'm about to leave or stopping someone will always try and talk to you. And with the 35db rated ear plugs in I usually just nod my head or tell them I have ear plugs in can you say that again :eek:

phil link=topic=1138.msg10467#msg10467 date=1342551969 said:
I nearly always chew gum while out on me bike.

Tried this once, just ended up chewing the inside of my cheeks as well :(

Back