Would I recommend Bridgestone S21s? Well...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallmanA

Reaction score
I bought a set of Bridgestone S21s a year ago from FWR for ?221. I didn't record the start mileage so can't talk about longevity. Are they any good?

Answer: Fine for the road, poor for trackdays. Despite the price saving over others (see below) I wouldn't buy them again.

Rode them at Rockingham National Circuit in very low temperatures (sleet at lunchtime!) and, like any tyre in those conditions, they were hairy (including a wholly unexpected kick out of the saddle after a few laps).

Rode again there on one of the hottest days of the year and they were fine without oozing confidence (or much rubber, for that matter - I didn't drop the pressure below 30 PSI mind). In short, if they didn't exist you wouldn't invent them.

Comparison prices from FWR (free UK shipping if over ?150)
Metzeler M7RR - ?259 but ?30 cashback
Pirelli Diabolo Super Corsa SC1 - ?250
Michelin Power Cup Evo - ?287
Dunlop Sportsmart 2 - ?235

Good write up, thanks for also including comparison prices too.

Now that you've tried S21's on road and track, what would you say is your favourite tyre in this category of "sport tyres"? Or of the tyres you've tried so far?

Oli

Oh and you asked about S21 longevity.
On the road, you get 1.5 rear tyres per front tyre, which is a bit awkward.
The wear rate is ok, but definitely could be improved, in my opinion

Oli

I'm up to 3k on mine and still loads left. I agree with not going with them again. There's a vague feeling when you are above 40 degrees lean at the front. Can't put my finger on it. Answer is more power as the rear deals with it but don't like not having confidence in the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm up to 3k on mine and still loads left. I agree with not going with them again. There's a vague feeling when you are above 40 degrees lean at the front. Can't put my finger on it. Answer is more power as the rear deals with it but don't like not having confidence in the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the vague front end, and I will also be going for something different next time. Probably M7RR's.

I just keep telling myself ignorance is bliss to the front end lol, it hasn't let go on me yet, and even at 54 degrees it still doesn't show signs of letting go, so I imagine if it did it would in spectacular fashion!
I think it's because it's a stiff carcass, whereas something from Pirelli or Metzeller is considerably softer, I believe.

Oli, I haven't had enough time with the SThou to know. I'll likely try the M7RRs which were great on my deeply missed Honda SP2. I should clarify that I have had no issues at all with the S21s on the road but feel sure that any of the obvious contenders will likely imbue more confidence. x Adam

The carcass is firm on a Bridgestone/Dunlop and soft on a Metzeler/Pirelli your vagueness may be simply a preference for soft carcass construction (which is OK).

Latest posts

Back