Really tempted

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gray5208

Reaction score
Had my 4 carbon since new, done 13000 miles been faultless, done a few mods to it and love it !!
but here's the but !!!!!! And it's a big but

really like and really tempted by the new Ducati 1299 final edition .........
should i .....Help

Get a grip
will it come with AA brake down cover
stop looking at it and keep the BM
you know it makes sense

I'll second Steve on this, make her a keeper or you will suffer the regret of the "one that I sold and wish I never" in later life.

Those Italian Seducers in their red dresses know how to catch your eye though, beautiful machines. Best to ride behind them on the HP4 and check out their arses. (The bikes not the riders) lol.

JimmyMac

I wouldn't! If you wanted a Panigale best wait till the V4 if anything!

I've had a spin on a 1299S, looks superb, rides beautifully BUT a hell of a lot more money than your HP4 and arguably no better to ride and less practical, so a no from me!

I've done 11k miles in the last 12 months on a 1299 panigale. When it's all working as it should be, it's an awesome bike. Sounds awesome , handles awesome & IMO looks awesome.

But theres the thing - 'When it's all working as it should be..'

I've bee left stranded more times than I care to mention. I'm on first name basis with the local AA patrol ( usually bike trained so send the same couple) & I'm a monthly regular at my local dealer ( service manager is a great guy ).

If you decide to ride your rather expensive 1299 FE or worse still, get it wet, then prepare yourself for the same fate. I'm genuinely not trolling the pani ( I still own one) but ownership is truly a labour of love. I had the baby 899 prior to this (12k miles) & virtually all the same problems. I've still got 3 years warranty left on mine so I'll keep it rather than take the hit & sell but this is likely to be my last Ducati for a while.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

Had my 4 carbon since new, done 13000 miles been faultless, done a few mods to it and love it !!
but here's the but !!!!!! And it's a big but

really like and really tempted by the new Ducati 1299 final edition .........
should i .....Help

FE is like ?34k...is it that much better than an S?

FE is like ?34k...is it that much better than an S?

I believe the FE is the final run out utilising the Superleggera engine block and alterations as its power house as against the stock 1299 engine.

If I wasn't at work Id attach up the pictures on my phone showing a mechanic with the engine block open with the 642cc cylinder open - its a feat of engineering especially being an integral part of the frame
Shame the v4 is now the only alternative (euro 4 madness)

1299 Panigale R Final Edition
A special and exclusive motorcycle, as a true testimony of gratitude and love for the engine that made the Ducati story and wrote indelible pages of the Superbike World Championship. The new 1299 Panigale R Final Edition goes well beyond the bike with a dedicated livery or special series. Ducati has made it to celebrate the "bicilindrico", which in this motorcycle is proposed in its maximum expression, creating a "tricolore" livery, captivating and evocative at the same time.

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning machine! Easily the best looking Superbike on the market. But like Rosso said .. "When its working right"

Ive had a Ducati and didnt enjoy it tbh.

Rode a 1199 (I Know different bike) Decent at higher speeds but around town its like riding about on a bag of spanners, the throttle response is just far too aggressive for a road bike. The BM is the all rounder, a beast when you want it to be but can be as easy to ride around town as a smaller bike.

Im with most on this one stick with the BM!! Ducati release special editions so often nowadays that there not well .. er very special (Excld the Desmosidicci)??

I'd stick with the BM too (tbh), each time I have been away with a mate that has been on a Ducati they have had problems (mainly electrical).

I cant see what all the fuss is about with Ducati's, they only won WSB because they had bigger engines and had bent rules lol.

Gents

A BMW forum might not be the right place to taking side with Ducati... I ride motorcycles for more than 30 years (about 400'000km till now) and must be a lucky man to be unaffected by big troubles with any of my 17 bikes I've owned. 10 years ago I would never buy a Ducati, I was "Japan oriented". I started with this brand 2014 with a Monster 1200S. This bike has now 38'500 km on the speedometer and I had absolutely no problems but a lot of fun.

We are three buddies with a 1299S and all with one ore more additional bikes - call us freaks. No one of us had issues with the 1299s (9000km, 12000km and 17400km), but - to be honest - two of us owned a 1199 before with more difficulties. Nothing big but some nasty little things. My Ducati dealer is a good friend and absolutely open. The 1299 is a lot more sophisticated than the predecessor and he has very little warranty cases. The only thing I did on my 12000km was changing the oil 5 times because of the 10 or 11 track days I've made.

I'm not fixed on a brand. I like my S1000RR, my Zx6R and my Ducatis. In the ducati1299.com forum you will not read more or less stories about real issues than in this or any other S1RR forum (and often the bad news are more prominently placed than the good news). And you will always meet people who are really disappointed with reason, people, who got a friday bike (we say monday bike in Switzerland ;-).

Back