Front Brake Driving me mad

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyRR

Reaction score
1st post so don't all jump on me if it has been said before
Front brake.....why is there so much play before it bites? I have HP levers, not sure whether that makes a difference but there is a good half inch of movement before a bite, I am used to a Brembo master cylinder which is on within mm.....Do I sell the HP levers and replace with Brembo master cylinder and can I get a matching Brembo clutch lever or is there an adjustment I can make?

Did you install the spacer? Shouldnt be any play really on these bikes..Well on mine I don't have any play

Cheers for the reply Felix...Spacer? They were already installed on the bike from factory....I have to have the dial on the lever all the way out or the lever almost touches the bars

HP levers fitted from factory on a gen 3 bike? With my ASV levers I had a spacer thing so it would make contact soon as I squeeze

Haha Yeah I guess so, I don't know to be honest...It has HP levers,rearsets and wheels I just presumed they were factory fit? I think I will just sell them and change to Brembo....Can't understand why they wouldn't have Brembo as standard

Unless someone would prove me wrong, You can't get them factory apart from the wheels as an option so someone before you has installed all that and done something wrong

Last edited:
Either way, its the master cylinder not the lever.
So, is the ABS system well bled?
If it is then I would check with BMW as my soft lever was sign of a degraded M/C.

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
I bled the master cylinder, still the same.....I think the master cylinder is just crap lol

I bled the master cylinder, still the same.....I think the master cylinder is just crap lol

Most lever actions are pretty solid.
But by all means upgrade.
The 19mm RCS is popular and suits the 34mm pistons.

- Sent from Mobile

OEM Master Cylinder

The OEM master cylinder is very good. You can improve it by buying better brake fluid and ensuring the brake system is bled effectively. I only ride on track and have had absolutely no issues with it to date.

I think you should bleed the brakes. It must be done correct, if not then you have what you describe...

Felix, you can get Hp rearsets and Hp levers as an option when buying and they would come fitted to the bike from BMW, with a box full of the standard bits that were removed, so effectively from factory, or in reality from dealer

Daz

My bike has been like this since new, a bit of travel then it bites. I'd be interested to see how yours is after another bleed or what is done to solve the issue. I had to adjust the HP lever out to manage 2 finger braking. I'm used to the setup now but I'm grabbing a handful to make it stop, more so when on track and I'm breaking way too early.

Have the same problem with my 16 plate RR. Have replaced the pads and the fluid and had it bled correctly (both master cylinder and calliper bleeds) amd BMW connected it to they're special ABS calibration/ bleed machine.

There was a slight improvement but still notable more lever travel than when I first had the bike.

BMW are not sure why this is and have themselves said it is more lever travel than normal.

The brakes work a treat once they bite and I've also had to adjust my riding style to take this into account.

Thinking of fitting the new Brembo RCS master cylinder and seeing if that improves things.

TBH though, I can live with the work around at the mo.

The bike will still lift its rear braking hard enough at speed with one finger (in user mode!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no problem at all with mine. It's a progressive feel as opposed to an on off switch. Initial bite is good, firm but not snatchy and can grab more of a handful if I need it. Last think I would want is a more forceful lever for panic braking lol. Some of the bikes I have felt are like rock solid with feel

I had the same problem on three bikes and every time new caliper seals fixed the problem, a quick way to test my theory is to get the pistons out as far as possible and clean the caliper as much as possible

But after cleaning they will go bad if the seals are dirty, you will briefly get a nice lever feel after cleaning though.

If your a fairly fast rider on track the lever feel will become undesirable regardless but on the road the lever feel should be fine unless your trying to be hero on the road.

Last edited:
Any of the above comments could apply but also,the actuating pin could be too short.

With the front wheel off the ground,spin the wheel whilst squeezing the lever to find the bite point.If there is excessive play,the likely cause is the actuating pin is too short(perhaps someone who has fitted hp levers could confirm whether the hp levers use a different pin or the std pin).

I have seen this problem(and also insufficient play) when other aftermarket levers have been fitted.

I'm another one and since I fitted the HP levers I've noticed excessive lever travel. I did mention this at a service point which happened to included the routine brake fluid change but I was told there was no problem and the travel was normal. I've set the lever so it's on the end of it's adjustment and have adapted myself to it.

Back