Brembo M50 Caliper

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alol

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone fitted these Calipers to their bikes. I know a lot go for the M4 HP4 caliper as an upgrade. The std goldline Calipers are as many have alluded to previously not great. Pity BMW did'nt see fit to put M4 as std equipment on Gen3 bikes.How also does a RCS M/C upgrade work?

Thanks

Side track: For standard brakes they are immense. Go ride an R1 for comparison.

OEM Brake Calipers

The OEM brake calipers (and brake pads) are extremely good and you will see no increase in braking performance compared to the Brembo M4 or M50 calipers. The only benefit you would have by fitting a set is that the brake pads are cheaper; but again this is only of relevance if you are changing them frequently.

OEM Master Cylinder

The OEM master cylinder is also very good. If you want to improve braking performance the most cost-effective means of doing so is by buying better brake fluid and ensuring the brakes are bled effectively. After that, then consider changing brake pads etc.

I just completed a track day on my gen 3 pretty full on braking from 160 +mph to second gear corner, no complaints here on stock kit

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I made the M4+RCS upgrade and I saw an almost 5-10% more braking power and feel on the brakes. As its been mentioned a big plus is the cheaper brakepads you can buy for the M4 calipers. The stock brakes are excellent for the 99% of the riders. I upgraded mostly for the cheaper pads:eek:illeak:

Look at what the superstock bikes are running at the tt then ask yourself do I really need these parts.

You could say that about practically every part you put on a new bike, especially for the road.

But then we would all be riding around with clones! :tongue-new:

Need isn't all about speed :playful:

Agreed. However my point is that people seem to think they "need" certain parts. When in fact it's basically just a waste of money or like you say want over need

Feeling bad for the OP now. Sorry we weren't saying the M50's wouldn't be good just that the stock system 'should work' very well.

I do not know if there are any issues with the M50's but I also do not know if there are improvements over the M4's.
I do know though that the M50's would require a different M/C compared to the M4's.

Ripped from another site;
M50s have 30mm pistons in the calipers.
M4s have 34mm pistons.

M50s use a 16mm piston radial Master Cylinder,
M4's are paired with a 19mm radial MC.

You could say that about practically every part you put on a new bike, especially for the road.

But then we would all be riding around with clones! :tongue-new:

Need isn't all about speed :playful:

Totally agree, from a riding perspective most people can't justify the performance of an S1000RR never mind spending more money on making it 'better'. Most owners would be far better off improving their riding skills if they wanted to go faster but that isn't the point is it? Modding and tinkering with your bike is a big part of the ownership experience and if you enjoy it who cares!

Brembo Calipers

The only reason why I bought my Brembo calipers is I was fed up with paying an extortionate amount of money for Z04 brake pads for the OEM calipers.

Re: Brembo Calipers

The only reason why I bought my Brembo calipers is I was fed up with paying an extortionate amount of money for Z04 brake pads for the OEM calipers.

I'm in the same place, standard brakes are stonking but I'm not a fan of the very expensive 4 pad system. I'm on the lookout for some genuine M4s as they'll pay for themselves in a couple of pad changes. Other than that the only thing I'd change over standard is the fluid & pads.

OEM Brake Calipers

For me the four pad per caliper design of the OEM brakes is singularly the most irritating part of ownership and my only real criticism of the bike.

I can't understand it? Aprilia, KTM, Ducati etc all using the 2 pad Brembo caliper but BMW decide not to. Definitely not much in it performance wise as far as I can tell so can only imagine it's something to do with cost?

Z04s are steep anyway but prohibitively expensive with the standard calipers. I've got on well with SBS DCs in the past so will be using them in the meantime.

OEM Brake Calipers

They are just your typical OEM Brembo caliper designed cheaply for mass production. That said they are very good.

Re: OEM Brake Calipers

The OEM brake calipers (and brake pads) are extremely good and you will see no increase in braking performance compared to the Brembo M4 or M50 calipers. The only benefit you would have by fitting a set is that the brake pads are cheaper; but again this is only of relevance if you are changing them frequently.
Way easier to change pads too Ryan.. I done a set last week and a quick bleed in 35 minutes..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back