Changed from a Gen 2 to a Gen 3

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevewils

Reaction score
Took delivery of my S1K two weeks ago so thought I would pen my thoughts if anyone is considering upgrading from a previous generation.

Good points
New bike is much more refined, smoother.
Suspension - much better on rough roads.
More comfortable than the old bike having done a 500 mile round trip to Wales to break it in. A contributing factor might be the Helibars though, as I fitted them as soon as I got it. Normally after 3 or 4 hours in the saddle I am ready to walk the rest of the way, but I was more than happy to carry on riding.
Up/down quick shifter.
Ride by wire throttle.
User modes.
Cruise control. Even setting it for a couple of minutes allows you to rest your right hand and eases wrist ache.

Bad points
It has lost the growl from the standard exhaust. A pal has the 2017 blade and that sounds awesome in comparison.
It is more refined (yes I know that is also a good point!), but it seems to have lost that mad attitude. Maybe when de-restricted it will be better.
They should have fitted a colour dash to compete with the other 1 litre bikes.
Having to wait 2 weeks for the first service and de-restriction (no, no-one told me of the waiting time for a service when I picked up the bike so a bit miffed about that!)
Factory alarm is either auto or off, there no manual arming or disarming. So if you work on the bike you have to switch it off, then when finished switch it back to auto, this involves flicking through all the settings on the dash, which is a bit of a pain.

Things I have fitted so far.
Helibars
DB screen
Eazigrip tank pads
GB racing engine covers
Lightech frame protectors
Radiator guards from Racing Radiator Guards

Biggest disappointment for me has been the dealer. Not being able to use my existing S1K to void the mileage going up while I wait (8 weeks) for the new bike, then having to wait another 2 weeks for the first service on the new bake as I had reached the 800 mile limit in 4 days (weekend trip to Wales).

Happy to answer any other questions on the bike. Got a couple of track days coming up in July so will update more when I?ve done those. Few pictures below.

IMG_00081_zpsdbgw2pcr.jpg.html

IMG_00051_zpsbhwchm5l.jpg.html

IMG_00181_zpslkezjul2.jpg.html

IMG_00151_zpsojl6fvyl.jpg.html

IMG_00121_zpsde3rok3e.jpg.html

IMG_00111_zpspr7h4b5c.jpg.html

IMG_00091_zpsklg3mqah.jpg.html

Nice bike Steve, I mad the same move a couple of years ago, I find the gen3 riding position mush better even with the std bars, do blade's pop and bang on the overrun? Std can doesn't look great, got an Austin Racing GP1 on mine - much better all round. Didn't find the gen2 that mad tbh but you won't be disappointed once your gen3 is unrestricted :)

I agree with Mac, wait till it's derestricted, I'm sure you'll be completely happy then :).

That being said, emissions regs will continually "castrate" bikes character, so an appropriate slip on or full system will restore any lost charm as far as I am concerned. I have an Akra Evo full system on my 15 RR and it was the best mod I have done

Having been toying for awhile now to upgrade my 2014. I like your comment regarding the dash. Do hm do one for the bm? If not what digital one can you use?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks Oli, I am considering changing the exhaust but my biggest concern would be the noise for trackdays, particularly Castle Coombe which has a 105 db noise limit at 3/4 rev range. My Gen 2 passed but only in rain mode as the max revs is much lower. I'm going to borrow a noise meter once I have it restricted to see how it is in standard form. I agree it is pig ugly though.

Thanks pof. Not sure who does an aftermarket dash but next time you pass a Honda dealer pop in and check out the dash, looks awesome.

Having been toying for awhile now to upgrade my 2014. I like your comment regarding the dash. Do hm do one for the bm? If not what digital one can you use?

Phil, not cheap but plug and play :02.47-tranquillity:

20170614_203752.jpg

That would look good sat between some bitubo forks
00a7e8fa41d8b11a9c7fa6ab497809e9.jpg

Check back with Mick at the end of the weekend - I believe he'll be achieving that exact goal!
Yeah i did notice that on his other post

I wish, it's in the mancave, i just threw an old plasma screen in there for when i am training, but it comes in handy for the BMW technical manual too :welcoming:

The Bitubo's are fitted now too Pof! :surprise:

20170603_205137.jpg

Pic of bitubos and dash please

Dam, that pic is gonna cost me over a grand 😂😂😂

Back