Can a Lithium battery be brought on a plane?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Japcati

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the likes of Ryanair and Aer Lingus will allow you to bring a motorbike lithium battery onboard in your hand luggage?

Thanks.

Lithium Battery

Contact the airline directly but I suspect the answer will be a definite no.

They have to be hand luggage, so any fire can be dealt with.
Some airlines may require the battery to be plugged in, which clearly you can't do.

- Sent from Mobile

I suspect that you would have difficulty with a motorbike battery at the airport in the current climate.

The Manchester bomber appears to have used a bike battery in the device.

So for a dumbass like me,can anyone tell me if a JMT HJTZ10S-FP battery (s1000rr) would be allowed on with Aer Lingus.

This is from their webste.......................bottom half of PDF

https://www.aerlingus.com/media/pdfs/Guide_to_Dangerous_Goods.pdf

"Spare lithium ion batteries. Lithium ion batteries for portable electronic devices (including medical devices) with a Wh rating exceeding 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh for consumer electronic devices. Maximum of two spare batteries may be carried in carry-on baggage only. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits."

Volts * Ah = Wh

From the PDF.
Spare lithium ion batteries

Lithium ion batteries for portable electronic devices (including medical devices) with a Wh rating exceeding 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh for consumer electronic devices. Maximum of two spare batteries may be carried in carry on baggage only. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.

They allow up to 160Wh.

Last edited:
A 12V battery with 8Ah capacity = 96 Wh.

Most Lithium are 4Ah this appears to be one.

Voltage: 12 Volts
Capacity: 4 Ah (10 h)
Format: Lithium - Maintenance-free
Energy Performance: 48 Wh
Cold start current: 240 A
Cold start current measurement method: SAE
Length: 150 mm
Width: 87 mm
Height: 93
Weight ready: 0,9 kg
Connector Type: front and top
Positive Pole: Left Front
Negative: Right Front
Gas outlet: Without

Most Lithium are 4Ah this appears to be one.

Voltage: 12 Volts
Capacity: 4 Ah (10 h)
Format: Lithium - Maintenance-free
Energy Performance: 48 Wh
Cold start current: 240 A
Cold start current measurement method: SAE
Length: 150 mm
Width: 87 mm
Height: 93
Weight ready: 0,9 kg
Connector Type: front and top
Positive Pole: Left Front
Negative: Right Front
Gas outlet: Without

Well spotted Alex! I didn't notice the model number and I'd been looking at a 7.4Ah Lithium battery yesterday so the wires crossed in my head - my bad.

Regardless, the maths are simple - capacity in Ah * Nominal Voltage = Wh :)

Well spotted Alex! I didn't notice the model number and I'd been looking at a 7.4Ah Lithium battery yesterday so the wires crossed in my head - my bad.

Regardless, the maths are simple - capacity in Ah * Nominal Voltage = Wh :)

Yeah joint effort, you explained the maths :)

- Sent from Mobile

Me and maths do not mix well....haha.

So that JMT battery would be allowed onbaord the plane then,yes?

Box and battery both say 12v/48Wh

Me and maths do not mix well....haha.

So that JMT battery would be allowed onbaord the plane then,yes?

Box and battery both say 12v/48Wh

The thing you may fall foul of is the 'consumer electronics' part. They could reasonably argue that a motorcycle battery, whilst within capacity constraints, is not for the consumer electronics purpose. Also the maximum designed discharge rate of a bike battery (its ability to deliver current before its terminals melt or it breaks down internally) could be hundreds of amps rather than the tens of amps a laptop battery could provide before its terminals melted and that could present a much more significant risk if short circuited - for example, it could melt a solid 2.5sqmm copper cable whereas a laptop battery would not be able to - its terminals would melt before the cable.

Laptop battery packs also often have complex battery management systems built in to limit runaway discharge rates in order to add a degree of safety margin, whereas a bike battery will just discharge at maximum rate until it's either flat, or on fire.

Dont take the risk of just rocking up to the airport with it, as they WILL confiscate it and you'll not necessarily get it back. I'd ask the airline for written confirmation it's OK before trying it.

Last edited:
The thing you may fall foul of is the 'consumer electronics' part. They could reasonably argue that a motorcycle battery, whilst within capacity constraints, is not for the consumer electronics purpose. Also the maximum designed discharge rate of a bike battery (its ability to deliver current before its terminals melt or it breaks down internally) could be hundreds of amps rather than the tens of amps a laptop battery could provide before its terminals melted and that could present a much more significant risk if short circuited - for example, it could melt a solid 2.5sqmm copper cable whereas a laptop battery would not be able to - its terminals would melt before the cable.

Laptop battery packs also often have complex battery management systems built in to limit runaway discharge rates in order to add a degree of safety margin, whereas a bike battery will just discharge at maximum rate until it's either flat, or on fire.

Dont take the risk of just rocking up to the airport with it, as they WILL confiscate it and you'll not necessarily get it back. I'd ask the airline for written confirmation it's OK before trying it.

Backup battery for my house alarm???

Good excuse or reason to let me pass through with it?

Backup battery for my house alarm???
Good excuse or reason to let me pass through with it?

I wouldn't be looking for excuses, I'd be looking for guidance from the airline. If you're caught out they absolutely will use that as a reason to chuck you off the plane. In the current climate, airlines are pretty zero tolerance about anything even remotely dodgy.

I wouldn't be looking for excuses, I'd be looking for guidance from the airline. If you're caught out they absolutely will use that as a reason to chuck you off the plane. In the current climate, airlines are pretty zero tolerance about anything even remotely dodgy.

I found that alot of the staff at the airline desks were clueless when it came to stuff like this,and that its down to the security staff in the screening area.

Ryanair told me before no way could I bring a cylinder head onboard the plane with me as hand luggage.I wouldnt be allowed through security
Security staff checked it over in the scanner and also by hand and just said,"thankyou sir have a nice flight"

I found that alot of the staff at the airline desks were clueless when it came to stuff like this,and that its down to the security staff in the screening area.

Ryanair told me before no way could I bring a cylinder head onboard the plane with me as hand luggage.I wouldnt be allowed through security
Security staff checked it over in the scanner and also by hand and just said,"thankyou sir have a nice flight"
Security staff in the airport aren't employed by the airline, so if it doesn't breach any CAA guidelines they won't care. The airline are the people who have the say - and they can and do randomly screen bags even after security as they have ultimate responsibility for the safety of passengers on board.

I am not suggesting for one minute you rely on check in staff - once again they are often not employed directly by the airline but by their handling agent partner, and they just wear a uniform or badge.

You need to contact the airline themselves - if they say it's OK, get them to email or write to you with confirmation. Otherwise it's pot luck - and you may well lose your expensive lithium battery.

Entirely up to you, of course - but don't say I didn't warn you :D I'm not making this stuff up, several of my customers are airports and airlines, and I know how they think and work.

Back