Changing Rear Brake Pads on a Gen 3

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rear Brake Pads

Just remove the rear wheel; release the retaining pin and then remove the rear brake pads from the caliper. It's a simple, five minute job.

Getting the rear wheel on and off with the rear brake caliper can be a pain in the arse and fiddly so I recommend take your time. Also, if you happen to have a piece of 2x4 or decking board around it's useful to put it under the rear wheel to hold the weight before you do take the wheel off, and it makes getting the wheel back on much easier as lining up the axle hole with the adjusters less hassle. Then changing the pads is easy to do, it's all described in the manual and in the service DVD. Just remember to make sure you have prised the old pads apart sufficiently before you swap the pads so you don't damage the caliper or the new pads when you find you haven't done it first lol.

I could do with the newest version to put up if anyone happens to be able to get hold of a copy :).

How the heck does the rear caliper come off? I removed the rear wheel and it was still in place, on my ninja i can remove 2 allen bolts and hey presto caliper free to service etc. Bloody germans

How the heck does the rear caliper come off? I removed the rear wheel and it was still in place, on my ninja i can remove 2 allen bolts and hey presto caliper free to service etc. Bloody germans

Its on a slider, comes straight out. But you have to release the brake hose from the hugger.

My ?17 seems to have the shortest brake line in history making it far harder than it needs to be.

- Sent from Mobile

Learn something every day, didn't realise you could remove the wheel without removing the caliper first? Also the brake hose should slide within the hugger ?

Mine doesn?t reach without coming out. Think the 12 had some extra hose length.

- Sent from Mobile

my 14 has to come out the clip as well

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Once axle bolt has been removed roll wheel forward and pop chain off the sprocket, then roll the wheel back and slide caliper rearwards simultaneously and once it has slid free of swingarm locating mount then carefully lift caliper out of wheel and above swing arm to rest on brake lines. Be careful the caliper doesn't touch the wheel rim as it could scratch it. This is a simple job which I have done many times so just take your time and you can't go wrong.

Simon

Latest posts

Back