Which boots?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sidi ST for me.

The extra armour survived my big head-on that put me in hospital last year. They hit my bike, the front of a car and came down from above car roof level slapping both heels into the road hard. Barely a mark on them, bar the odd scuff and if they can survive that then I'm not interested in much else !!

Graham :)

I had the same dilemma about 2 months ago and ended up buying sidi vortice, as has already been said take a bit longer to get into but great feel and good for fine adjustment. ;D

Astars for me, mind you I've got 6 toes on each foot and can't get my trotters in Sidi's.

Sidi B2 Gore-tex here. Had them for 5 years.

Been resoled once and needs redoing again.

I have a brand new pair in the cupboard, but can't throw these old boots away when I can get the soles fixed.

i had sidis fancyed a change and bought some pumas they were shocking crippled me i am now with the dainese tourqe pro and i love em

Took the rear in for a new slick this morning so tried some boots on whilst i was waiting......... tried the Alpinestars supatech? the £300 ones anyway & a pair of TXC boots - the ones which pump up at £250.
Both boots felt REALLY solid and offer great protection but felt too rigid for me in the soles and gear shift area, i don't think either would offer the feel im after. Im not bothered about what they're like to walk in as i only ever walk 20yds from my bike into a cafe and back, next stop try some Sidi Vortice i think

I had Sidi Vertebra boots for years.

Swapped to the Vortice 2 years ago and been very pleased. Lunched the S1000 at Silverstone in March and walked away with negligible damage to boots and not a bruise or a mark on my spindly feet. Every time I put them on, I feel like my feet have considerable protection.

I tried Alpinestars in the shop, but found the Sidis much more comfortable.

A few anecdotes:

1. The toe area is slightly thicker than the Vertebra. On my Suzuki, I managed to knock the bike into neutral a couple of times as I must have been just nudging the gearshift. I fitted adjustable footrests shortly after, so that was never really an issue.

2. Until you get used to them the ratchet mechanisms mean 5 minutes work to get them on. Even after a couple of years, I'm still last out into the pit lane on track days.

3. The overlap of the clamshell can snag on the heel guard. This is potentially more my riding style than anything else, as it only happens on the right - but it can be disconcerting when you need to move your foot position quickly on the track.

Cheers for the input guys, having tried all the main players (barring the Vortice as i cant find anyone who stocks em or will order them to try within 50miles) i've decided to stay with sidi & ordered some Vortice. I'll send em back if i hate them but we'll see. Hopefully they'll arrive by the weekend and i'll have them sparking at Cadwell on Mon ;) Will post my thoughts once they've bedded in

Had the Vortice a few weeks now so here's my initial thoughts.......
Obviously being male there was no need to read the instructions, after almost calling the fire brigade to cut me out of them after 1st try on i figured them out.
After a few try ons i've got used to the fasteners but they'll never be as quick as a simple zip.
On the bike i love them, yes the upper above the toes is thicker than the vertebrae's but seems thinner than all the other "high end" boots i've tried. The ratchet fasteners give a great fit and the rigidity in the soles is good for balancing weight on the outside peg. I've even used the vent hole things on a couple of occasions which had the desired effect. Had my toes grinding a bit on track but it's barely scuffed the metal toe plates. All in all not a cheap options for boots, but bloody good :)

Alpine stars for me everytime i got the super tech and the the r boot,i prefer the boot that dont have the sock thing in it for comfort...

Back