Considering trading the XR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they will always try to bend you over when trading stuff in. Do have a ring around and see whats available as other dealers may be more willing to do deals. I think the 2018 RR is exactly the same as the 2017 but very slightly more expensive so why wait. The 2019 one is looking different again but also looks ever so small in the pictures I have seen. By the way for 2018 they seemed to have dropped the Sport thing and instead you add two option packs and it adds up to more so a 2017 bike probably saves you a few quid.

In terms of the bikes, I have an XR that is around 18 months old and has 11k miles on it. Its a fantastic bike and a fab commuter (my typical commute is a 100 mile round trip with fast dual carriageway and slow filtering in equal measure.

I get my RR this Wednesday as an addition to the XR rather than instead of. I too was blown away on the test ride and it was way better than I expected in every way. That said I am interested to see if I can filter on the RR without getting frustrated. which I never could manage on my Aprilia. The RR is certainly easy and comfy to ride so it ought to be fine. My thought is the XR and RR do quite different but overlapping jobs exceptionally well.

Commuting in the rain and cold is an XR job with my laptop and bag nice and dry in the top box (its a GS Vario that fits like it was made for it). If its dry and I want to take the long way home then the RR. I also do lots of long European trips to GPs and plan to split it between the two bikes as I fancy it. I have done Mugello, Misano and Valencia on an Aprilia RSV-R so know the RR will do great, so it won't just be the XR that sees European action.

Go on, get an RR you know you want to!!

Thanks Bertie. You're absolutely right, both bikes do different (but overlapping) jobs, and in ideal world I would have both. I will be using the bike all year round for commuting, so filtering is also important to me - I rode through town today and found it to be fine filtering (although you have a better vantage point on the XR). Unfortunately garage space is limited and I don't think that I could justify having two premium bikes despite the merits of both. Regarding which model to get, I realise that the 2018 is the same as the 2017, but my thinking is that if the current model is getting replaced in 2019 then will BMW dealers be looking to get rid of the gen 3 bikes at a great prices during 2018? I also noticed how small the 2019 looks in the photos. At 6'3 I do not want the bike to get any smaller! Hopefully that's not the case and the guy riding the 2019 was 6'10 and 19st because he looked like a bear riding a bicycle!

I agree with Bertie, if you'd like to swap to an RR and aren't keen on waiting till the all-new 19 bike, then I would get a 17 RR now.

There are no differences between the 17 and 18 MY RR's, and I suspect that the residual value will be comparable as the 17 bikes are Euro 4 compliant too.

I'm 6 feet 1.5" not in boots, and I've found my 15 RR to be very accommodating for a taller rider, particularly with after market rear sets. I've used mine for commuting, weekend rides, the occasional track day and it gets used all year round. It's been fantastic in every respect, and has been the best motorcycling decision I've made, second only to getting my licence lol!

If you would like to add practicality to an RR, I would highly recommend the Wunderlich Sport tank bag, and if you ever want to carry soft luggage check out the Hepco & Becker Sport rack, as that coupled with some Kriega dry bags would be a great set up.

Re the 19 MY RR, and the apparently small dimensions, personally I think it's way too early to make judgments on this, and I suspect that even if the bike is more cramped it's nothing that couldn't be sorted with adjustable rear sets and clip-ons.

Whatever you decide, I hope you are happy! :)
Is certainly a tricky decision though as I test rode an XR and really enjoyed it! However, I wouldn't change my RR for one, and if I were buying a bike again today it would be a 17 RR

Thanks Oli. Decisions, decisions.....

Out of interest, what rear sets do you have, and how much lower can the pegs be dropped? That is the one thing that I found on the test ride, the pegs seem very high (especially after jumping off the XR).

Thanks Oli. Decisions, decisions.....

Out of interest, what rear sets do you have, and how much lower can the pegs be dropped? That is the one thing that I found on the test ride, the pegs seem very high (especially after jumping off the XR).

I have the BMW HP rear-sets, and although they are very good I can't recommend them as it is not possible to get individual replacement parts.
Instead, I would recommend either Alpha Racing or Lightech.

There is a considerable adjustment range with these rear-sets, although I can't say specifically how much lower then stock they go, because I can't really remember lol.
If you required additional leg room then any of those rear-sets could provide, I would suggest getting a taller "comfort" seat as the next step.

Personally, I find it comfortable having the pegs moved further back than OEM. It's definitely worthwhile trying different positions until you feel totally comfortable, makes a huge difference

Oli

If you really want some rearsets with a lot of extra leg room try Giamoto. Their rearsets will move 10mm away from standard which is pretty much where a lot of rearsets are at, but giamoto will also supply a comfort kit to take you to a total of 25mm away from standard which is a lot extra. Not sure about the ground clearance mind at the track but you can always take them back up for that of course...

Thanks guys. I have arranged to call the local dealer tomorrow to see if we can negotiate a better deal. Since riding the RR I'm completely consumed by it!

I'm 6'2" and found my knees were killing me after about an hour so got some rear sets that allowed pegs to go lower and they have made a great difference comfort wise.
Every week without a RR in your life is a week lost......

Don?t forget there?s a comfort seat option which raises seat height.

- Sent from Mobile

I'm 6'2" and found my knees were killing me after about an hour so got some rear sets that allowed pegs to go lower and they have made a great difference comfort wise.
Every week without a RR in your life is a week lost......
Which rear sets did you go for?

I hadn't considered the comfort seat. Does it come in black? I've seen the black/red/white combo, but I'm not sure if it will suit the black/grey bike.

I hadn't considered the comfort seat. Does it come in black? I've seen the black/red/white combo, but I'm not sure if it will suit the black/grey bike.

Sargent do a comfort seat for the bike which is black.

Im a shade over 6ft and ride upright...a good double bubble screen will help mate.

Stuart

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Finally pulled the trigger on the S1000RR Sport today! Got a really good deal from the local dealer, I've gone for the black/grey with performance pack and alarm. Just waiting to confirm a date for collection - I hope we have some sunny winter days ahead!

Congratulations on your new RR, fingers crossed for a mild winter!

Hope you collect the bike soon, and most of all, enjoy! [emoji4]

Thanks Oli. I'm currently online buying parts! Do you know if I can sign up as a premier member without paypal? i.e. is that the only payment option?

Cheers,
Ross

Finally pulled the trigger on the S1000RR Sport today! Got a really good deal from the local dealer, I've gone for the black/grey with performance pack and alarm. Just waiting to confirm a date for collection - I hope we have some sunny winter days ahead!

Nothing like a new bike, hope you get it while we've still got this sunny weather (I assume you're not Scottish... :) ), you may already have it covered but invest in a radiator and oil cooler guard (got Evotech on mine), protects them well and makes cleaning much easier.

Back