Credit Where Credit Is Due.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fkkr1s

Reaction score
So last Saturday I had arranged to get my bike booked in for its 6K service, should have been a simple job and was due to be ready in around an hour and a half's time.

So I parked myself next to the coffee machine and cakes... like you do ;)
Anyway Rob (good guy) came back up stairs and told me he had some bad news :( so I followed him down to look at the bikes and see what was wrong.

The sump bolt had corroded as well as the sump itself!!!! Holy crap you cannot be serious, now before I had a chance to throw my dollies out the pram he said, I am sorry we cant get it done today we don't have the parts as it will need a new sump as well, it will be done under warranty and as you are now bikeless I have a nice new 2012 model for you to use until yours is fixed. He did not want me to ride off just in case it leaked or worse still dumped its contents all over my back wheel.

I would like to take this opportunity to say thanks to Rob and to big up the guys at Bahnstomer Thames Valley in Bracknell for a top notch service. I dropped the loaner off today and collected mine all fixed - Happy Days.

Not before taking the loaner for a long ol ride down to Kent on a ride out with a few off the 675.cc forum on Sunday, where I got very wet on a number of occasions during the day. I must admit I do like the heated grips, a nice touch.

just thought I would share this with you guys and highlight the top service I received. 8)

Nice to hear about good service, shame about some of Bmws parts quality. Mine is due 6k service before Sept so hopefully get same service from my dealer. By the way how much did they charge for the service

This happened to my sump too , only I got some denzo tape and the instruction to come back next week.

bananaman link=topic=1080.msg9943#msg9943 date=1341476785 said:
We talking about an s1k sump here?!?!
Yep!

Is yours a 2010 Frank? I cant believe a sump could corrode in just a couple of years, thats madness :eek:

really pleased to hear that you had a good experience mate, amazing how people's experiences differ. got to say mine have been ok but not the carslberg experience you had.

phil link=topic=1080.msg9947#msg9947 date=1341477868 said:
bananaman link=topic=1080.msg9943#msg9943 date=1341476785 said:
We talking about an s1k sump here?!?!
Yep!

Is yours a 2010 Frank? I cant believe a sump could corrode in just a couple of years, thats madness :eek:

Mine is an 11 plate with 6300 miles now on the clock, it is amazing that this could be a problem!!! I was gobsmacked when he told me the problem. All hell would have broken loose if they had not done this under warranty thats for sure.

Mines a 60 plate
I was convinced they'd just stripped it
Seems like a coincidence but then there's no such thing In my opinion

fatbob link=topic=1080.msg9951#msg9951 date=1341484885 said:
I was convinced they'd just stripped it
Seems like a coincidence but then there's no such thing In my opinion
That seems more like it, I 'sometimes' think that dealers (not all but most) are told to bullshit us....

I would like to know how a sump could corrode in 18 months.

Yeah exactly
I'd seen mine as well whilst fitting the arcs system and it all looked mint and that was about a month before

Just had a look at mine which I don't pay alot of attention to when cleaning and it doesn't look any worse than my many previous bikes. The only thought that came to mind when I last changed the oil was the sumps a very thin casting and there wasn't alot of thread on the bolt but could be nothing.

As a side subject a know they replaced loads on ZZR14's because the sump plug used to hit the inspection ramps in the workshops knocking them off!

had my 6k service on saturday £240 :-(

and i too have the corrosion problem the bike is going back in on tues.

Back