Removing Mirrors...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A reversing camera above the numberplate can never replace mirrors. How on earth would it show if my elbows were still attached?

But seriously, other than issues of where to fit the screen, being waterproof, being easily viewable in bright sunlight, etc., my biggest concern would be the blind spots from a camera which is effectively behind the bike.

Going a bit more lo-tech, I bike I saw some time ago had a convex mirror strip in the dash. If positioned correctly, that could be brilliant for conventional blind spots, although as a replacement for conventional mirrors there would be far wider area behind that was obscured.

I once rode a customers bike with a convex mirror, although I first thought it looked ridiculous it did eliminate a large portion of your blind spots

Ive ridden with no mirrors for years.
It depends how you ride.
I rode fast on my old zx10rs and you need to keep your eyes on the road ahead.
One split second glance in mirror can make you run wide.
If your steadier you should have mirrors

Ive ridden with no mirrors for years.
It depends how you ride.
I rode fast on my old zx10rs and you need to keep your eyes on the road ahead.
One split second glance in mirror can make you run wide.
If your steadier you should have mirrors

Not sure I ever look in the mirror mid corner?!

We've spoken about this before.. I couldn't get my head round not having mirrors...I think my main fear is who is behind me, overtaking is one thing, doing a lifesaver is another, for me a combination of both has paid off numerous times for me over the years. I think their crucial when merging in traffic.

On another note...I recall at on least 2 occassions, a long time ago of course ! I was able to keep my driving licence thanks to my mirrors.

I don't get it at all, each to their own I guess..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mirror's help save your life and your License... I like mine, I can go faster if someone is keeping up and slow down if someone is a little slower behind me.

Its what they say on trackdays. If you look in your mirror it takes split second for your eyes to re adjust to infront of you. In that split second youve travelled a long way at speed so i just concerntrate on where im going. Ok i look over shoulder joining motorways etc and if im cruising about. What ive found is if im out for a hack there has never been 1 person behind me in the last 12 years of running no mirrors. If i ride with someone else i go at the back so i dont need mirrors. Its your own preference but i am so used to it. I do have mirrors on my r1 as i just cruise about on that bike.

What one does on track is irrelevant as it is a totally different environment and scenario.

Whilst it would be unwise to stare in your mirrors mid corner, it is far safer for yourself and others to have and use mirrors on the road.

If you do not feel the need to use mirrors due to speed and hence never having anyone behind you, then with the greatest of respects you may very well need to reconsider your road riding pace

- Oli

Everyone has their own narrative. It's their right to say what they like and our right to criticize if we like.

FWIW, I ride faster than most (including you Stuart ;-P) and use mirrors less than when driving as I rarely get overtaken, but I want to know what's going on around me for all sorts of reasons. The RR has the best mirrors I've ever had on a bike. I can keep an eye on, erm space aliens, following me at speed without them being fuzzy or fold them in for filtering or trackdays knowing they'll go back to where they were afterwards.

Mirrors on all my other bikes have been varying shades of rubbish. The mirrors on my TDM (early 90's parallel twin by Yamaha) used to unscrew themselves and swivel around randomly. After much experimenting I found some great little bar ends for when they either:

didn't actually work (the speed triple's mirrors were useless fuzz above 50).
1.JPG

or looked ridiculous (the RC8R came with rabbit ears with integrated indicators, I replaced with LED strip indicators and you can hardly notice the mirrors).
Photo 21-04-2017, 17 46 53 copy.jpg

I'll dig out the details. Still got a spare set for my next bike that needs them. H

Love those RC8R's...They need to launch a V4 to go with their MotoGP efforts with the RC16.

Last edited:
Love those RC8R's...They need to launch a V4 to go with their MotoGP efforts with the RC16.
Yep. Glop-tastic bike and the only bike I've had that got equal interest from bikers and 'civilians'. No matter how much bling a litre sportsbike has, most people just ---- don't ---- get ---- it.
In an article I read recently, Mr KTM (one of 'em) reckons there's no point selling +200BHP sports bikes. It read like 500 words of sour grapes to me, but I hope it's obfuscation.
If a V4 RC16 was as comfy and torquey as my RC8R, I'd put the RR on track duty, sell the kids and be first in the queue at P&H.

Yep. Glop-tastic bike and the only bike I've had that got equal interest from bikers and 'civilians'. No matter how much bling a litre sportsbike has, most people just ---- don't ---- get ---- it.
In an article I read recently, Mr KTM (one of 'em) reckons there's no point selling +200BHP sports bikes. It read like 500 words of sour grapes to me, but I hope it's obfuscation.
If a V4 RC16 was as comfy and torquey as my RC8R, I'd put the RR on track duty, sell the kids and be first in the queue at P&H.

They were supposed to be doing a consumer version of the RC16. 240HP, €120,000, Track Only.

They were supposed to be doing a consumer version of the RC16. 240HP, €120,000, Track Only.
Lol. I'd like to see their definition of "Consumer". Let's see, 20K for each of the boys to the right buyer. Wonder what the wife and cat would fetch?
-
Reminds me of the best financial advice I ever had (from my son when he was 8 or 9). As a fan of Top Gear, he really fancied 'us' getting a Ferrari and had it all worked out, thus:
"It's easy Dad. Sell the house and buy a Ferrari and a Caravan". Couldn't fault the logic. Wife is still mulling it over I think.
-
Is it obvious I'm having a 'quiet' day.

Just a thought If your using your phone as a mirror won't you still get done by the police for using a phone?

How do you know?

JimmyMac

Lol i knew someome would ask.
Its because every time i decide to back off i check behind me to see if anyone is there but theres never anyone there.
Some people just dont agree or understand but its just how i ride.
Currently i have mirrors on my s1000 as im not that confident on it like i was on my zx10.
I will probably remove them when im a bit more used to it.
I go for hacks on roads with hardly any cars so i can push on quite fast and its safer if i look where im going.
If you do ride fast on the road you need 100% concertration to stay safe.
I dont want to get hurt so i ride on my own and just concertrate on where im going.

I still don't get how an actual look behind you is less unsettling than using a set of mirrors... so are you talking further than a lifesaver backward look ?.

Your a brave man..man.

I still don't get how an actual look behind you is less unsettling than using a set of mirrors... so are you talking further than a lifesaver backward look ?.

Your a brave man..man.

Coz i only look behind at slower speeds.
But anyhow if you felt the weight of zx10r mirrors you want them off too lol.
Super heavy.
Bmw ones arnt so bad

The beemer mirrors are the best I've had on any bike... never really thought about mirrors being heavy just the vibration thing comes to mind...

Back