Removing Mirrors...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Ben's 2015 S1000rr

I'm just really not a fan of them on motorcycles, I think they look so out of place. I'm so used to riding without them since most bike I've had I take them off

How about a Reevu helmet!? :).

I rode in Spain without mirrors (as I left them behind and hadn't intended to road ride...). It was weird at first but I don't think my safety suffered for it, because the roads were so empty. I took good looks behind on straights etc. However in the UK without any clear roads and with so many emergency vehicles flying about I wouldn't be without them.

I'd love someone to fit a rear facing camera and a big display inside the nose. I wonder when we'll get blindspot lights like on some cars.

Not sure I want it in the helmet...I'd rather an extension of the dash.

I've been looking into a rear view camera for the bike, I too hate the mirrors but I do believe they are necessary. The only problem I'm having is finding a monitor that would fit snugly under the screen and is also waterproof...

I've been looking into a rear view camera for the bike, I too hate the mirrors but I do believe they are necessary. The only problem I'm having is finding a monitor that would fit snugly under the screen and is also waterproof...

That was my thought, so I'm going to try a WiFi connection to my phone using a yoke stem mount.

The issue with most wireless reversing-specific camera kits is they use a 2.4GHz transmit-receive proprietary kit, so you have to use the supplied monitor; which is never waterproof. That's why I'm going to try the WiFi camera, and connect it via an app on my phone, with a waterproof case on a yoke mount :)

ETA: I forgot to mention - I have previous with the wireless kits. I tried one on my motorhome, and the picture was garbage. It also used to cut off sometimes when you'd drive past buildings, I assume due to EM interference. It was better if the TX/RX were closer together, but the van's 7.5M long so I couldn't get them close enough to work reliably. Probably not a problem on a bike, but the image quality was still shite.

Last edited:
Yea, my only concern would be how quick the picture gets to your screen, it's designed to work when reversing, not at 70mph?
They're a live feed - it's just streaming video over WiFi. It's basically just a webcam with a WiFi TX built in and designed for a 12V supply.

Fingers crossed, I'm just not convinced the refresh rate would be fast enough.

Let us know how you get on :)

It'll be fine. Even 1080p at 30fps only needs ~8Mbps, and at that range even a cheap WiFi chipset should be able to support 11Mbps+. The bottleneck would be bandwidth, 30fps is more than enough for a decent moving image - cinemas were 22fps for years and no-one complained!

A reversing camera above the numberplate can never replace mirrors. How on earth would it show if my elbows were still attached?

But seriously, other than issues of where to fit the screen, being waterproof, being easily viewable in bright sunlight, etc., my biggest concern would be the blind spots from a camera which is effectively behind the bike.

Going a bit more lo-tech, I bike I saw some time ago had a convex mirror strip in the dash. If positioned correctly, that could be brilliant for conventional blind spots, although as a replacement for conventional mirrors there would be far wider area behind that was obscured.

Back