S1000r

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't mention the fuel economy. A full tank did me 91 miles of spirited riding up and down the box. Not great.

Thank you for the detailed review Soof, I must say I'm somewhat surprised with the lack of compliance from the DDC suspension, I'd have thought it'd be "softer" everywhere compared with the RR.

There's a big price differential between the R and RR so I guess that goes some way to explain the suspension and engine forthcomings in comparison to the RR.

Thanks again for the review!

Re the RS, for me its a case of buy the GSA, same engine, fun to ride but way more practical, even though mine gives me numb bum after an hour an a half. For the SthouR, not ridden one, although fancied one before getting my first RR, love the 'Jordan's tits' analogy, you are a poet Soof ;), but no good if it starts to feel loose if pressing on, fairing or no fairing.

Re the RS, for me its a case of buy the GSA, same engine, fun to ride but way more practical, even though mine gives me numb bum after an hour an a half. For the SthouR, not ridden one, although fancied one before getting my first RR, love the 'Jordan's tits' analogy, you are a poet Soof ;), but no good if it starts to feel loose if pressing on, fairing or no fairing.

Just out of curiosity, why is a GS more practical than the RS? Apologies if that's a totally ignorant question, but they have the same engine and shaft drive, so what is the USP of the GS for road use? *Bear in mind I've ridden neither lol

I think you might find the ergos on the r a bit small Mac.

Totally agree on the RS/GS.

On the r I had numb bum after about 45 minutes, don't get it on anything else.

Just out of curiosity, why is a GS more practical than the RS? Apologies if that's a totally ignorant question, but they have the same engine and shaft drive, so what is the USP of the GS for road use? *Bear in mind I've ridden neither lol

Good question. For road use the GS provides better wind and weather protection compared to the RS. Add in the bigger tank on the GSA and the well sized aluminium panniers it has a more practical range and load capacity. Both good bikes.

Yep agreed, you can take a passenger and a weeks worth of gear (including hairdryer - doh!) on a GSA riding through sunshine and torrential rain over hundreds of miles in relative comfort (apart from a stiff arse!) and still put averagely ridden sports bikes to the sword if the mood takes you. Not saying an RS couldn't do that but you'd think about it twice. Me and my old GSA in the Alps a couple of years ago

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies Soof and Mac, guess there's no arguing against a physically bigger bike and a 30 litre tank :).
Now I just need to test ride a GS!

Great photo Mac, would love to do a Euro tour myself someday

An update on this s1000r business. On Friday I had to take the original loan s1000r back to AJ to swap it for.... another s1000r (was told it was going to be an rr but they got that wrong)! Apparently the twat who wanted a demo ride on an s1000r on Saturday would only test the non-sport version, the difference between the sport and the non-sport models spec at AJ was the cruise control, go figure? So a 2 hour round trip and I was given a brand new s1000r sport with 4 miles on the clock having just been PDI'd. It didnt handle any differently, perhaps marginally softer in the front, but the colur scheme was nice. Scrubbing in the new bridgstone tyres killed any chance of a proper test ride. I had a good look at it in the garage on Friday night and even started to ponder buying it. Handsome in the motorsport livery.

Sunday afternoon I had a pass out to go for a ride and although I eyeballed the r for a while I decided on the recently neglected HP4. I am glad I did. After a few minutes I noticed the DDC difference, and it is a big difference. Still cant get my head round why the DDC is just so hard on the r and unable to soak up those little bumps that the HP4 glides over. And then the sheer speed, hitting silly numbers without even trying, whereas on the r I'd be hanging on praying for the next 30 zone to relax. But as a comparison it isn't fair, ?12k v ?20k, apples and pears.

Anyway, the idea of buying an r is now well and truly off the menu. More money for sex drugs and rock n roll :).

Have you ever tried the S1000XR Soof?

I test rode one last year and thought it was a fantastic "road" all rounder

Have you ever tried the S1000XR Soof?

I test rode one last year and thought it was a fantastic "road" all rounder

I have not. I could have had one on loan instead of the r.

I suppose when I think of the XR the voice inside my head is saying 'why?'.

Not wishing to offend anyone, the XR always struck me as a bit unnecessary. I do wonder if the BMW executives wanted this many versions of the s1000rr engine and frame (R,RR,XR) in the market to achieve better economies of scale? They already have the GS for adventure touring etc, the RR for performance, the XR seems like a bit of everything and all of nothing (sorry if that puts any noses out of joint, not my intention).

It's certainly cheaper than investing in R&D properly to build a K bike replacement for the hyper sports/touring market where their offering is weak, instead they rustle up the XR from an existing sportsbike platform.

I understand completely, and I agree it's a shame they haven't developed a K series replacement.

However, if the opportunity arises again, or the mood takes you, I would recommend taking one for a spin as you might just be pleasantly surprised :)

Anyway thanks again for the detailed write up on the R, I haven't test ridden one so was great to get your opinion/feedback

Cheers oli, I will try one the next time I get a bike from them.

Likewise try the r and see what you think, horses for courses (or something like that, hopefully it doesn't mean anything different in Scotland).

Thinking of Scotland, watched a documentary last night about India and sanitation (lack of) and apparently the big thing over there is taking public jobbies all over the place, literally fields/streets of jobbies with people doing jobbies? Or have I got all the grammar wrong lol? Sorry, way off topic.

Will do Soof, the R is on the todo list ... along with the GS, and the RnineT and the K1600 ;p

Re India ... I had to Urban Dictionary "jobby" as had no idea what you were on about past sanitation lol!

Its called open defecation....a thing we ALL have done at one time or another....a good old roadside dump lol.

So last time for me was in Denmark on my RR2 blade I had the urge just as we approached that magnificent ?resund Bridge oh and always take baby wipes !

S

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the story Stu, very entertaining ;p

Suppose you could've hung a toilet roll on the rearset!

I owned a 2015 R and found the suspension was great once the sag was adjusted, it works differently to the RR in that its adjusted separately to the engine modes, which ever mode its in you can toggle the suspension between soft, medium and hard and also adjust for rider and pillion or rider only. These settings differ slightly within each engine mode ie. soft in dynamic is harder than soft in rain mode, if you see what I mean. It makes it easier to adjust on the fly...

Back