Gen 3 Track Fairing Advice

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty5364

Reaction score
Hi All, I am planning to fit a track fairing to my gen 3 and wondered what the forum general thoughts are on which manufacture offers the best value for money?

I don?t really want to spend a huge amount of money as I?m guessing the potential to have an off is greatly increased when learning to ride on track. However, build quality, fit and looks are important to me.

So fare I have considered CRC Fairings and have watched the YouTube video in which James Whitham highly recommends them. But I have also read reviews whereby there have been complaints about quality of fit and fairings being extremely fragile. The Alpha Racing route is a little more expensive (GPR 4 Pc), but I am unsure about their note. Which basically states ?only to be used with a racing exhaust?. As I going to be running my stock exhaust I?m guessing this option will need some sort of modification.

Any thoughts and recommendations will be greatly appreciated..

Hi,

Alpha fit and finish is the best from what I've seen, but yes the Cat would get in the way without modification to the fairing.
You could try Pro-Fibre for a copy of the Alpha's, which would make cutting the undertray less painful.
Have you considered a decat pipe on the stock exhaust can for an interim solution?

Race Fairings

The best race fairing options are those available from the likes of alpha Racing, Carbonin and CRC. The quality of all three are very good hence why you see them being used by the majority of teams racing in BSB and the Support Classes. Fit and finish is generally very good but do not expect OEM quality as they are designed to be quickly and cheaply replaced in the event of a crash. Prices will vary and typically GRP fibreglass is much cheaper than the carbon fibre alternatives that are also available.

All of them will be designed with sealed bellypans to meet FIM/MCRCB/ACU safety requirements for fluid catchment. This is why they are only really suitable for use with a full race exhaust system. You would need to modify the bellypan in order to use it with the OEM exhaust.

With regards to your comment about the potential to have an off is greatly increased when learning to ride on track, I would politely suggest that this is complete nonsense. You are no more likely to crash on track than you are on the road. Providing you ride within your limits and go with the mentality that it's just a trackday, and your not Valentino Rossi, you will be absolutely fine.

I use CRC fairings and am more than happy with them, you are also best to fit some engine case protectors.I use Chinese ones from ebay, very cheap and I have unfortunately tested them 3 times now and they are quite robust l must say and ?25 for the set

1st ones I bought were crc, personally I thought they were crap for the money. Yes, they are probably the lightest, maybe on a par with carbon but cosmetically rubbish, the mould was all over the place (mainly the nose). Pro-fibre I sent straight back, I ended up with Italian jobbies (ricamprix? or something like that), awesome fit and finish.
Reactive parts where I got the crc ones from and told them what they were for told me I was talking shite when I questioned the fit until I made a 3-4hr round trip to their workshop. Alpha may well be great but I wasn't prepared to pay their prices.
I've been in the body & paint game for 35 yrs so know a little about it lol..
It's all subjective as to what you want/need/cost...

Race Fairings

I've used CRC race fairings a lot in the past and never had a problem with them. Like you I was less than impressed with those from Pro-Fiber.

Had a few people recently complain about CRC ones which did surprise me given how many teams use them, i ended up buying mine from Phil Crowe who did a full set of Gen 3 fairings and the seat pad along with all the fittings and he also got it painted for me in the scheme I asked for and whilst they aren't CRC having seen a set of them previously onm a friends bike the only thing needed was a small bracket to attach the left hand side of the bellypan, everything else was a perfect fit and the paint job was excellent too.

Race Fairings

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he [Phil Crowe] supplied you with a set of alpha Racing fairings as that's what he's using.

Thanks for all the advice guys and point taken Ryan about riding within one’s limit.
My track day experience thus far has been knockhill twice, great fun and it was great to mix with friendly like minded people.

Again, many thanks for all your comments. They have helped me in my decision to opt for the CRC option and except possibly having to modify the belly pan to accept the stock exhaust. I already have purchased a set a GB Racing engine covers and the plan is to also buy the Alpha Racing frame protector and their 4 plug set (to prevent error codes). In hindsight it was a complete waste of money tricking my bike out in carbon and HP accessories. However, it does look good lol..

CRC Race Fairings

From experience make sure that you buy from CRC directly over the phone as they will normally offer a discount when prompted or free P&P.

www.crcfairings.co.uk

Re: CRC Race Fairings

I didn't actually realise it was Steve Heneghan who owned Reactive/CRC until recently, I bought my ZXR400 race bike from him over 10 years ago! :excitement:

Thanks for all the advice guys and point taken Ryan about riding within one?s limit.
My track day experience thus far has been knockhill twice, great fun and it was great to mix with friendly like minded people.

Again, many thanks for all your comments. They have helped me in my decision to opt for the CRC option and except possibly having to modify the belly pan to accept the stock exhaust. I already have purchased a set a GB Racing engine covers and the plan is to also buy the Alpha Racing frame protector and their 4 plug set (to prevent error codes). In hindsight it was a complete waste of money tricking my bike out in carbon and HP accessories. However, it does look good lol..

Good luck lol.

I have some crc parts left over if it can save you some money.

New belly pan
Modified belly pan to fit standard exhaust
Complete seat unit (not tail unit) which is in 3 parts I think

i'm using carbonin avio fibre

Whe I bought my bike from shoey that's what he was using for his race bikes so that's what my bike got built with. The quality is awesome and the fit is pretty much perfect. Only thing i've had to do is open out the holes for the dzus fastners a few mm.

The only down side is that the only people in the uk that seem to supply them is reactive parts and they charge the earth for them. I sourced mine direct from the factor in Italy for a lot less.

Carbonin

I'm fairly certain Carbonin is Slovenian. They are certainly expensive if purchased through Reactive Parts!

The proper carbon fairings are beautiful items. Its so strong and light. I'd love to run them on the BMW but I know it wouldn't take me long before I'd be smashing them up and they are not cheap!

To add my 2p's worth - I fitted a set of Sheps Fairings for my Jerez trip, and it fitted really well. Really helpful to deal with too. I'll try to add a photo!

Back