Help me buy the correct bike :(

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix

Reaction score
Hey guys,

In the past I've had quite a few issues buying bikes...I've had engines blow up, clocked bikes and just poorly maintained bikes. All because I rush into things too fast.

I've put a deposit down on a bike today and I believe it's a well looked after bike, looks nice and from a proper BMW Dealer.

2015 model
1 Previous owner
8300 miles
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-BMW-...607506?hash=item21164601d2:g:ptMAAOSwxg5X0CNe

It looks clean and I'm ready to buy it this weekend. Is there any further checks I should do to make sure it's 100% legit?
I want to make sure it has all the best features like the blipper and all that (Not too fussed about forged wheels) How do I check this?

Thanks guys!

As far as I can see the spec is everything except the wheels. The bike is totally standard trim which isn't a bad thing. Tyres have nice chicken strips which says to me the owner wasn't riding it like he stole it, another plus.

Buying from a BMW dealer is a good move, 2 year warranty. Dealers only want to retail good quality examples so I would be fairly confident you are looking after a well sorted bike, and if there are any issues the warranty covers it. The only comment I would make is the chain and sprockets need replacing (by the dealer).

If that's the kind of money you are spending I'd call around a couple of others and see what they have to beat it.... Alan Jeffries and Lind are both site vendors and have said they will look after our members if they can.

As far as I can see the spec is everything except the wheels. The bike is totally standard trim which isn't a bad thing. Tyres have nice chicken strips which says to me the owner wasn't riding it like he stole it, another plus.

Buying from a BMW dealer is a good move, 2 year warranty. Dealers only want to retail good quality examples so I would be fairly confident you are looking after a well sorted bike, and if there are any issues the warranty covers it. The only comment I would make is the chain and sprockets need replacing (by the dealer).

If that's the kind of money you are spending I'd call around a couple of others and see what they have to beat it.... Alan Jeffries and Lind are both site vendors and have said they will look after our members if they can.

Thanks for the fast reply, Just out of curiosity what do you mean "Standard Trim"

Thanks

Yep, looks nice enough and you don't see that many in black.

Standard Trim , as it came from the showroom originally, i.e. no modifications.

soofsayer said:
.The only comment I would make is the chain and sprockets need replacing (by the dealer).

As a matter of interest. What makes you conclude that? Just based on the mileage or something visible in the pictures?

Last edited:
As a matter of interest. What makes you conclude that? Just based on the mileage or something visible in the pictures?

The OEM chains have a tendency to stretch rather a lot, so you'll find many on here who changed to an aftermarket set quite early on.

Bike looks great, really like them in black, and as Soof says it's got everything minus the HP forged wheels.
I like that it's stock too.

Thanks for the replies guys, Hope I can get a decent bike for my 11th bike :D

(11 - Lucky number )

Hi , I've seen this exact bike it's in the dealer near ellesmere port I think. They had another same spec etc. I think it's an ex demo bike. Hence why there is no modifications. If it is the ex demo one you can't go wrong it would have been restricted stopping it getting abused and serviced more regularly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In the picture of the close up of the LHS rearset one or two of the chain links are not flexing enough, suggests to me the chain is starting to experience wear and will need replacing soon. The chain itself is a bit grubby so the problem might go away for a bit with a good clean, but I'd want new.

I agree with soofsayer, you could beat that price. But its all the same bike at the end of the day really!

Hope you enjoy the beast and good luck!

Hi , I've seen this exact bike it's in the dealer near ellesmere port I think. They had another same spec etc. I think it's an ex demo bike. Hence why there is no modifications. If it is the ex demo one you can't go wrong it would have been restricted stopping it getting abused and serviced more regularly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah thats the one near ellesmere port but they had 2-3 in this colour and same year, I'll ask tomorrow if its an ex demo.

cheers

(11 - Lucky number )

Mine too Ben, same as Nick Faldo if you are that way inclined ( He won two of his green jackets on the 11th green at Augusta in playoffs ) and then had the number stamped on his golf ball for the rest of his career.)

Yes, I know I should get out more, lol.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
Mine too Ben, same as Nick Faldo if you are that way inclined ( He won two of his green jackets on the 11th green at Augusta in playoffs ) and then had the number stamped on his golf ball for the rest of his career.)

Yes, I know I should get out more, lol.

JimmyMac

Haha, It's the best number ;)

Ben, I suspect Cavey and I maybe coming from the same angle here??

I was in Chester Motorrad on Sunday for a mooch around and they did indeed have a few black ones by the sales desks and two (I think) motorsports that looked quite nice too. The bike will be sound coming straight from the dealership and you'll have the warranty services as backup. I would be asking them to replace the chain and sprockets based on the close up picture and valet it too.

I got mine from this dealer too and the sales side of things was ok as you'd expect. The only indifference here was aftersales service but of course that doesn't stop you going elsewhere for service.

As mentioned there are other dealers to check out too. Who did you deal with, was it Paul H? He's decent enough and will help out.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

I recently just bought a 2015 S1000RR Sport in Motorsport colours, with 2000 miles on the clock. It was slightly more expensive than the bike detailed in the eBay link. However as you are buying from a BMW you do pay a premium for the piece of mind that the bike will be in A+ condition and obviously the 2 year warranty.
The day I picked mine up the manager wasn't happy with the tread on the tyres, they still had sufficient miles on them but I was given a voucher to use for new front and rear tyres when mine reaches close to the limit, all I need to do is book it in. I doubt this is something that wouldnt happen if bought from a private sale or not an official BMW dealer.
Anyways hope you do go for it as the bike looks mint, Buying mine was the best biking decision ive made since passing my test!!! Good Luck!

Ben, I suspect Cavey and I maybe coming from the same angle here??
I'm not gonna lie....their after sales service isn't the best! Pre sale service was spot on when i bought my '17, but there's a couple of issues need sorting now and i just can't seem to get them to reply to my emails now??!:subdued: ....in other news Bowker Motorrad in Preston are brilliant...Steve Bridgeman in service is a legend....nothing is a problem over there! ;)

Trying to decode the vin on this bike just to make sure it has all the correct packages and cannot get any link provided in the sticky to work...Any other options?

VIN: WB10D1006FZ333153

Thanks

In the picture of the close up of the LHS rearset one or two of the chain links are not flexing enough, suggests to me the chain is starting to experience wear and will need replacing soon. The chain itself is a bit grubby so the problem might go away for a bit with a good clean, but I'd want new.

Thanks! I see what you mean now looking at the crooked link and grime in the close up.

Mine has 5700 on the clock & was thinking of fitting a supersprox/rental/tsubaki combo this summer.

Hi Ben, how did you get on at the dealer? I was in yesterday for a service and seen a black one with a sold label on it.

Back