2017 same as 2015?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bike is basically the same but had to have exhaust changes to get it though the euro 4 regulations. Why do people think different?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

The bike is basically the same but had to have exhaust changes to get it though the euro 4 regulations. Why do people think different?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
I'm guessing you didn't read the link?

I personally dont care either way what the differences are, but the article is more than thin on facts:

"Changes on the 2017 include DDC, ABS and suspension settings. When we start digging into this, we will be updating you guys on what we find. All the electronics appear to be fully upgraded to take this bike to the next level."

What changes? Appear to be fully upgraded? from what to what exactly? Next level? Oh hang on, its Bren Tuning, there's no chance they want to sell a 'different' upgrade tool/software for the '17 bike, perhaps for more money?

S1000RR Models

For me there's simply not enough difference between the two apart from some subtle refinements and Euro 4 compliance. If there was I would have probably been compelled to buy the newer model. If BMW were advertising it as a brand new model they would have made the usual PR furore and would have actually bothered with a model launch like they have done for previous incarnations. I think 2019 will be the year we see anything significantly different. Regardless, if you own any of the RR/HP4 model variants they are all great bikes.

There's always an angle.

BTW was the battery turned around between Gen2 and 3? Or is that new for '17?
I do agree that the '17 is light on its feet and changes direction well. But I assumed that was largely down to the forged rims. I guess I should weigh them compared to the Titax when I get a chance.

Every generation is an iterative advance, but most changes here are with robustness (generator) and Euro4 in mind. The Diag plug them mention is simply the OBDII (Euro4 req) instead of the OBDI. You can get adapters from one to the other.

There's always an angle.

I assumed that was largely down to the forged rims. I guess I should weigh them compared to the Titax when I get a chance.

Theres not much difference in weight. The Gen3 is very nimble compared to the Gen2 so maybe thats what you're experiencing?

Theres not much difference in weight. The Gen3 is very nimble compared to the Gen2 so maybe thats what you're experiencing?

Yes, probably, I avoided riding a 15/16 so that I wouldn't want one!!

- Sent from Mobile

I personally dont care either way what the differences are,
Neither do I Soof to be honest...they're both amazing machines! I was shot down in flames by a few people on here when i said the 17 felt better.....just thought i'd post an article that might go some way to explaining why?? Agreed, it's a bit vague...hopefully more info will arrive in due course.

Neither do I Soof to be honest...they're both amazing machines! I was shot down in flames by a few people on here when i said the 17 felt better.....just thought i'd post an article that might go some way to explaining why?? Agreed, it's a bit vague...hopefully more info will arrive in due course.

I thought there was a thread about free play on the throttle but other than that its going to be personal experience and opinion as to how one feels against the other. If you find that your '17 feels better then thats great. It could be that your '15 bike was not the same as someone elses (it happens), or even your '17 bike is not the same as someone elses... Or riding style, or ability to keep it shiny side up, etc...

Variety is the spice of life!

I'm sure I read somewhere that the DTC is now controlled by a 7-axis IMU,whereas the older one was 5-axis,which would mean the traction control would be far superior(not that there is too much wrong with the old one!).

I have a 17 as there was a problem with my 16 (paint fault on the frame) so BMW changed the bike.
Riding position feels different between the two, on the 17 feels like I am always moving position and putting more weight on my wrists.
anyone else found this at all?

I have a 17 as there was a problem with my 16 (paint fault on the frame) so BMW changed the bike.
Riding position feels different between the two, on the 17 feels like I am always moving position and putting more weight on my wrists.
anyone else found this at all?
Riding position feels identical on mine....did you have a long break from riding between bikes? I gave my 15 back in November and didn't have a bike until my 17 arrived in March....took a few weeks to get bike fit again so noticed a bit more weight on my wrists initially....also did you have Stompgrip or similar on your old bike?

Same basic elements but 17 has ABS pro on all models. Engine has been tuned to retain HP despite the giant Cat fitted for Euro 4 and it has the Euro 4 tick. You also get lovely orange reflectors on the mudguard [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I got a 2011 bike and kept it 3 years and had a new 2015 on a four year deal which will mean I'll get the 2019 when it comes out which should be a considerable jump - I would expect the new generation to have a bunch of stuff that the new 70K HP4 has but for road use - I'm guessing this will filter down to the 18/19 iteration. I'm hoping it comes out in 18 and the 19 version has all the refinements sorted!

Similar to you, handed 16 back in December and took the 17 in March.
Sure you are right, I need a bit more time on the bike to get back what had before (feel like im up to the tank more than before) No stompgrip etc on previous bike.
Lemans in May should cure me

Riding position feels identical on mine....did you have a long break from riding between bikes? I gave my 15 back in November and didn't have a bike until my 17 arrived in March....took a few weeks to get bike fit again so noticed a bit more weight on my wrists initially....also did you have Stompgrip or similar on your old bike?

My mudguard reflectors fell off the day I took delivery. Odd that :cool:

Same basic elements but 17 has ABS pro on all models. Engine has been tuned to retain HP despite the giant Cat fitted for Euro 4 and it has the Euro 4 tick. You also get lovely orange reflectors on the mudguard [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a considerable jump!
good thinking.....i don't see much point in upgrading unless theres a considerable improvement. Going from 15 to 17 doesn't make financial sense to me personally.....the 15 is still an incredible bike! ...it's only because mine broke that i swapped it for a new one.

Back