Advice on my Helmet

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billo01

Reaction score
and no this isn't one for my GP!

Something that's been playing on my mind for a while now and perhaps I need to do something about it. I've got a Shoei and the manufacturing date is 2003. I've since found the purchase receipt which I done online in 2008. Time does fly by and the lid doesn't seem that old and is in great condition.

So my question is this, what is the typical life of a helmet before replacement and what is that based on, usage, type of exposure etc. should I be looking to get a new one?

If it's the case I need a new one I'll be making sure the manufacturing date is recent as I'm a little disappointed that I was supplied a helmet that was already 5 years old.

5 years from date of purchase, or 7 years from date of manufacture is the general guideline

Type of usage is irrelevant as far as I am aware as the safety guideline is based on hardening of the EPS liner over time

Blimey Billo you got your moneys worth there, I've kept a couple of my old lids (well I binned them when I moved house last month), a Suomy Ben Bostron Rep new in 2002 which had delaminated in a couple of areas and an Arai Astro R made in 2004 which still looked mint but had started to get brittle around the visor pods, so yours is probably going the same way.. I reckon changing lids every 5 years is about right.

Arai and AGV say 7 years from manufacture due to the eps shell becoming less absorbing for impacts.

Can't find info for Shark or HJC.

I get where you are coming from. I am looking at a schuberth flip up. The C3 is donkeys years old but the new C4 is coming. No one really knows on how long to keep it. I just think technology keeps improving so hopefully they maker new versions safer

5 years is a good time to replace the helmet when it still has some protection left, by wearing a balaclava at all times you can keep the inside from deteriorating by keeping sweat and skin oil from contaminating the inner fabrics.

JimmyMac

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Time for a replacement after 9 years ownership so I'll be going for another Shoei, the NXR this time. After trying on loads of other makes I always go back to Shoei as I know how it fits when bedded in and how it performs when out on the bike.

Anyone used FC-Moto for purchasing clothing/helmets etc., what was your experience? They have Shoei helmets on their website at discount with a further 10% off.

So for the Shoei NXR Valkyrie this retails at ?469.99 and on FC-Moto it's ?402.99

Yeah I bought my Shoei X-Spirit II from them a few years ago, absolutely no issues. I've also bought a pair of gloves from them in the past and again there were no issues. The only thing to remember is that, being outside the UK, it won't have the gold ACU sticker on it.

It may be worth e-mailing them before you order though, as their code for 10% off FCMOTO10EN actually only gives you 5% for some reason.

Last edited:
Wheelup in Italy have some great prices on NXR,bought one from them couple years ago,great service. Another option is demon tweeks 5 years 0%,get a ?500 helmet for ?12 month then just change it every 5 years. Got my shoei neotec which I use for touring or commuting this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certi your right about the discount being 5%. I'm thinking is that because there's already 5% off the RRP? I've sent them a message anyway. DHL delivery is free, if UPS is used its ?10.99.

Whatever you do, don't bin your old lids. Turn them into hanging baskets.

Or hand them in to your local fire station, they need them for training and by allowing them to use it you may save a biker in the future.

Oh and I have bought lots from FC Moto Billo, never any problems.

JimmyMac

Back