Helibars

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had them on my 15, but have gone back to the OEM bars.

I don't believe there are any changes for the 17 bike.

My opinion on them as a taller rider (6 ft 2), is that they're good for touring and slow speed control as the riding position is slightly higher and you have more leverage, however for hanging off the riding position is more cramped and the wrist angle more acute/sharp

Did they take long to change? Thats exactly what im thinking. I usually hold myself up with my stomach so might persist for now especially at over 300 knicker!

They're not too much of a hassle to install (or so I'm told as I had them fitted for me) as they're a direct replacement, already pre-drilled and no mods are required whatsoever.
Only thing to be aware of on a DDC bike is that the solonoid on the left fork has to be disconnected first (this can be done either at the top of the fork, or from the the loom).

Yea the price is very steep considering the price of a race clipon ...
Personally, I'd stick with the OEM bars and check you've got sufficient laden sag at the rear if you feel too weighty on the wrists (it's amazing what a difference a couple cm makes).

That being said, Helibars are very popular with some

My opinion differs from Oli, I love the helibars on mine, and find them better for hanging off than the oem clip ons, I am a short arse tho which maybe the difference as 6.2 as in Oli's case is effectively a giant compared to wee me

Daz

So the question is, to Heli or not to Heli lol?
Or, are you a Loris Baz or Danni Pedrosa! :)

The best description I can give of the bar position, is to picture the OEM bars but without any "drop" (that's how Tracstar Helibars give rise).

If you do give them a go, I hope they work really well for you in all respects.

P.S. Wouldn't it be great if bikes just came with OEM "adjustable" clip ons (like KTM did with the RC8)!

Oli

After a full day or sometimes just half a day's riding I've been getting aches in my back.

I've just ordered some Helibars ? got delivered today. Getting fitted next week.

(I can ride all day on my old blade with no problems)

Hoping that these help. I'll report back on how I find them.

(I'm more Dani Pedrosa than Loris Baz)

After a full day or sometimes just half a day's riding I've been getting aches in my back.

I've just ordered some Helibars ? got delivered today. Getting fitted next week.

(I can ride all day on my old blade with no problems)

Hoping that these help. I'll report back on how I find them.

(I'm more Dani Pedrosa than Loris Baz)

I hope you like the bars and they help relieve the back ache.
Will be really interesting to hear your feedback on them in due course

Oli

Helibars: Update

Fitted the Helibars this week and done a few hundred miles over a few days as a test.

Make a massive difference and much more comfortable.

Its hard to describe, but the bike seems much ?lighter? in a way as steering is much more effortless.

However.... I?m still finding that I?m getting aches in my neck/back after riding over an hour or so.

This isn?t to do with the Helibars ? think this is due to me not being ergonomically suited to the RR. I think its the reach to the bars that?s causing the problem. I?ve tried a different seat and everything. As mentioned previously, I?ve got an old Blade which I can ride all day with no problems at all? its so annoying.

So, with a heavy heart I?ve decided to sell the RR. Such a shame as it is the best superbike out there, just doesn?t seem to fit me :-(

I?ll link some pics and a spec in the For Sale section in a bit.

Helibars: Update

Fitted the Helibars this week and done a few hundred miles over a few days as a test.

Make a massive difference and much more comfortable.

Its hard to describe, but the bike seems much ?lighter? in a way as steering is much more effortless.

However.... I?m still finding that I?m getting aches in my neck/back after riding over an hour or so.

This isn?t to do with the Helibars ? think this is due to me not being ergonomically suited to the RR. I think its the reach to the bars that?s causing the problem. I?ve tried a different seat and everything. As mentioned previously, I?ve got an old Blade which I can ride all day with no problems at all? its so annoying.

So, with a heavy heart I?ve decided to sell the RR. Such a shame as it is the best superbike out there, just doesn?t seem to fit me :-(

I?ll link some pics and a spec in the For Sale section in a bit.

I'm sorry to hear that the Helibars didn't resolve the ergo issues for you, and that you're selling the RR :(

On the off chance you'd still be willing to persevere with the RR, there's two other options you could consider. Wunderlich make a Variobar which has tons of adjustability. They also do a full handlebar conversion kit which would be a more extreme option.

Oli

http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/bm...onomie-komfort/lenkerumbauten-erhohungen.html

Sorry to hear that you are having to sell the bike, I sold my S1000rr and purchased a S1000xr, the XR is very comfortable and easy to do long distances, It has great handling and great performance.

I only live in North Derbyshire if you want to have a sit/ride on a Xr?

I am looking to go back to a RR as i got the Xr to take the wife on the back which does not seem to be happening.

Sorry to hear that you are having to sell the bike, I sold my S1000rr and purchased a S1000xr, the XR is very comfortable and easy to do long distances, It has great handling and great performance.

I am looking to go back to a RR as i got the Xr to take the wife on the back which does not seem to be happening.

Thanks for the offer – think I'm going to look at the S1000R... I'll check out the XR too but I think I'll need the lower chassis version if they do one.

I'm sorry to hear that the Helibars didn't resolve the ergo issues for you, and that you're selling the RR :(

On the off chance you'd still be willing to persevere with the RR, there's two other options you could consider. Wunderlich make a Variobar which has tons of adjustability. They also do a full handlebar conversion kit which would be a more extreme option.

Oli

http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/bm...onomie-komfort/lenkerumbauten-erhohungen.html

Thanks for the link – does seem a little extreme like you mention. The thing that I love about the Helibars is that you can't really tell the difference – they look just like stock.

I'm going to try a couple of different models – the S1000R and (possibly a low) XR – plus some other non-BMW bikes.

Thanks for the link ? does seem a little extreme like you mention. The thing that I love about the Helibars is that you can't really tell the difference ? they look just like stock.

I'm going to try a couple of different models ? the S1000R and (possibly a low) XR ? plus some other non-BMW bikes.

I understand, the great thing as well with Helibars is that they are literally a direct replacement with no need to modify anything.

The whole S1000 range are great, I'd highly recommend the XR though as I think it's a phenomenal all-round package. They offer a low seat and a low suspension option so I wouldn't be overly intimidated by the height

Thats the very reason I'm looking at buying an XR (as well as keeping the RR .. if i can possibly swing it) - The missus says she'll go on the back - however, something tells me thats just to shut me up from asking her to perch on the back of the RR. Its a pity that you cant rent an XR for a couple of weeks for a reasonable price - just to see if it's worth while investing.

And chilledmilk - I've just read the reason for you selling up - I bought the RR without ever sitting on one - took a monster chance - and for the 1st few hundred miles it just didnt feel right - i thought I'd cocked up big time - I'm about 6' and felt horribly cramped on it.. after about 1400 more miles, it's starting to feel much more natural.

Thats the very reason I'm looking at buying an XR (as well as keeping the RR .. if i can possibly swing it) - The missus says she'll go on the back - however, something tells me thats just to shut me up from asking her to perch on the back of the RR. Its a pity that you cant rent an XR for a couple of weeks for a reasonable price - just to see if it's worth while investing.

And chilledmilk - I've just read the reason for you selling up - I bought the RR without ever sitting on one - took a monster chance - and for the 1st few hundred miles it just didnt feel right - i thought I'd cocked up big time - I'm about 6' and felt horribly cramped on it.. after about 1400 more miles, it's starting to feel much more natural.

I agree it's a shame you can't rent the bike for an extended period to test before buying, however I think if you test ride one for a decent amount of time you'll get a pretty good idea of what the bike is like.
I test rode an XR last year and thought it was great and looking at the rider triangle for a pillion I can't imagine anyone being uncomfortable back there, especially coming from a sport bike lol.

Re Ergos on the RR, it is possible to gain leg room with adjustable rearsets, however you need to also consider the loss of ground clearance. It's also possible to gain leg room with the comfort seat, however that will transfer more weight to the wrists so it's a trade off

Back